Mercedes-Benz Forum

Mercedes-Benz Forum (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/)
-   W210 E-Class (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/)
-   -   2001 E-320 Station Wagon - Low Coolant Sensor (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/3018598-2001-e-320-station-wagon-low.html)

hadam 02-23-2019 04:37 PM

2001 E-320 Station Wagon - Low Coolant Sensor

6 Attachment(s)
I have 2001 E-320 Station Wagon, recently I am getting Low Coolant message on Instrument Cluster.

Car has been running normal, temperature looks good, also coolant level in reservoir looks fine. I don't see any coolant leak under car or in belly pan. All looks good.

Is there is a chance that coolant level sensor in reservoir is bad?

Please may I get comments and feedback about the coolant level sensor.

Please see attached photos.

Witek_M 02-23-2019 05:12 PM

Coolant level sensor is magnetic proximity reed switch operated by foam float with magnet inside expansion reservoir. No way to tell which one is bad. Foam float inside reservoir is most likely problem.

illstplaya 02-23-2019 08:18 PM

Sensor is probably bad. Your coolant is slightly overfilled though. And I notice your engine temperature is slightly low but I don't know how long the engine was running prior to that picture so maybe it was still warming up.

mrboca 02-24-2019 04:07 AM

Remove the connector for the ECL sensor.

Measure the sensor resistance at the connector.

If you have a reading between 102 and 120 Ohms, and the fluid level is fine, then the sensor is good. In that case, check the wiring / connectors for opens / shorts.

The windshield washer level sensor (145 - 185 Ohms when fluid level is OK) and coolant sensor are in series and connected to the Instrument cluster directly. The instrument cluster looks for a combined resistance signature between 250 to 300 ohms when both fluid levels are fine. If it sees and open or a short, it will put either washer fluid or coolant level fault.

noetico 02-25-2019 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrboca (Post 17706232)
Remove the connector for the ECL sensor.

Measure the sensor resistance at the connector.

If you have a reading between 102 and 120 Ohms, and the fluid level is fine, then the sensor is good. In that case, check the wiring / connectors for opens / shorts.

The windshield washer level sensor (145 - 185 Ohms when fluid level is OK) and coolant sensor are in series and connected to the Instrument cluster directly. The instrument cluster looks for a combined resistance signature between 250 to 300 ohms when both fluid levels are fine. If it sees and open or a short, it will put either washer fluid or coolant level fault.

Extremely helpful Sir. I'm facing this issue now; sorry to steer off the topic a bit. I have a destroyed windshield washer tank and it's now off the vehicle; I want to connect a resistor, I guess this is the range I'm looking at so it can take away the windshield washer light which comes up all the time. Please advice, what color codes/resistance will you recommend based on your resistance range here? Higher or lower?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrboca 02-25-2019 04:02 PM

I would try 180 Ohms with gold band (brown grey brown). Also have a 150 Ohms available, just in case (brown green brown).

hadam 03-13-2019 02:10 PM

All, thank you so much for your support. The issue has been fixed. I did following 2 things.

1. Removed the connector from coolant reservoir level sensor and then plug back in. I pushed it little harder to make sure it is sitting well in connector.
2. My windshield washer fluid reservoir was down to 1/4 level of the both head lamp washing and windshield washing reservoir. I filled the windshield washer and head lamp washer reservoir to top.

Now I don't have any more Coolant Low message on instrument cluster. All good. Car is driving great. I love this W210 station wagon.

In my earlier photos, the coolant level was high because I added little water in coolant to see if this will resolve the issue, but it did not help, so I siphon excessive coolant out of the coolant reservoir.

Also, the temperature when car driving on freeway it stay at 80C, but when I leave the car parked and running, then it reach just little below 100C, which is normal.

All good now. Thank you all for your great support. I love this forum and the people who contribute on this forum and support others. Thank you all.

hadam 05-07-2019 11:22 AM

"Coolant Check Level" Message again. Install New Level Sensor

4 Attachment(s)
Hello all I am start to getting again the "Coolant Check Level". I have purchased the new level sensor for coolant expansion tank to replace it. The level sensor was only $10. See Below photos.

Is any one know how to remove the old coolant level sensor? Do you just twist it counter clockwise? Any feedback will be appreciated.

Do I need any O-Ring or any kind of sea?l or new sensor just goes into old sensor spot in coolant expansion tank and there will be not leaks from sensor?

Witek_M 05-07-2019 12:08 PM

Level switch sits in dry well. I does not make contact with coolant. Brand you have purchased is questionable.:eek

hadam 05-07-2019 02:50 PM

Witek_M, thank you for your reply. If it is just a dry well then it will be easy for me to just remove electrical connector and first measure the resistance of the existing level sensor which should be between 102 and 120 Ohms. After that I can try this new coolant level sensor.

Dry well means I don't need to drain any coolant from Expansion tank, just get access to coolant level sensor which is quite inward, I will remove the one bolt that is holding the expansion tank and then wiggle the front 2 tabs that are in the frame of car holding expansion tank, once expansion tank is little moving then I will have room to put my hand and do the work on coolant level sensor.

I will keep you all posted.

FYI, I have used URO parts in past, they are not the best, but ok. I have 4 rear windows regulator in W210 replacement with URO windows regulators.

I love my W210's, but the value $$$$ is quite low now, so I just keep them going with parts I can find online or on Amazon.