post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2011
Vehicle: 1998 E320 Sedan RWD 150k mi
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Smoke From Engine Bay

Happy New Year all! Been doing some reading and just wanted to get some second opinions.

Been running okay, but it started up and got some smoke from the engine bay and kind of a weird sound. Thankfully the smoke went away quickly and I think the sound got a little better but still seems to be there (can't think of a away to describe it, just not quite right). Still getting 25mpg on freeway, maybe not quite as peppy but it's hard to tell because of winter tires/excess stuff, a/c seems to blowing fine but not ice cold like it should be, in fact not even as cold as outside air temperature which is 40F here right now. Car isn't throwing any codes or anything, although haven't checked a/c unit codes yet.

After cracking hood I am leaning toward one or two ideas for the smoke:
1. I have a pretty constant light oil seepage because I've never done those gaskets, usually just get a slight film going down side of engine and I assume it kind fo burns off slowly somewhere. It asks for a quart or two of oil between changes. Maybe there was a little more seepage than normal and that caused the noticeable smoke?
2. Looking at the ac pulley, there is a fine black line of splattered oil or burnt rubber that is right in line with the pulley and sprayed all up the windshield fluid reservoir. Comes off on my finger so maybe oil but I don't know maybe rubber or something? Anyway the pulley looks like there might be the beginning of some rubber seals warping, or maybe it's always been like that I've never looked at it. But from other forum posts it sounds like maybe it is beginning to seize which maybe explains the a/c not blowing cold? So maybe that pulley needs to be replaced or the whole thing?

This sound familiar to anyone? Leaning to #2 since the #1 has been pretty unchanged for many years. If so is it safe to drive, worth fixing?
[P
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3418.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	2478576   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3423.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	2478578  

Last edited by tmabiker; 01-04-2019 at 12:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 01:25 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2012
Vehicle: 1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 1189 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mrboca
I hope you are not expecting the the a/c work when it is 40 deg outside ... Check the a/c menu for refrigerant pressure, and evap / heater temp sensor readings. If the outside temp is close to freezing the compressor will not run.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 01:52 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2012
Vehicle: 1998 e430
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
how many miles between your oil changes?

i too have some seepage from the valve cover (driver side) and sometimes catch a wiff of oil smoke after parked in my closed garage (also see a few drips on the floor). in my case, it seems to have slowed after i tightened the nearest bolt ever so slightly... i've never had to add oil between my changes (usually around 5k).

that's one job (gaskets) i don't mind putting off...

in my experience, mrboca has your ac's number (and lots of other stuff!).

Last edited by pt_700; 01-04-2019 at 02:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 02:10 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2013
Vehicle: MY05 CLK55 AMG , MY05 CLK320,Former,C180 Kompressor,Jensen Healey,Ford Capri V6,Alfa GTV.
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
I agree with Mrboca
If it is near freezing outside , wouldn't you have your AC switched off and your heater switched on ?

Apart from valve cover gaskets , another possible leak point is the oil filter housing lower gasket.
tmabiker likes this.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
@mrboca Thanks yeah I wasn't sure since there's never been a reason to turn it on in the winter, I just turned it down to the lowest setting and assumed it should still blow cold but I don't know maybe it refuses to when it's cold outside?
Refrigerant pressure is 04
inside temp 18
outside temp 11
heat exchangers both 34
evap sensor 19
@pt_700 Usually around 5k but I've stretched this one to about 8k and have put in 2 quarts. Another theory you made me think of is I had it parked somewhere sub freezing the last couple days which is uncommon for it to have such big temp changes, so maybe that shrunk things enough to make it leak just a more than usual? I think mostly it comes from that seal a few inches below the oil cap although there are probably other places too (the dealership wanted to do the rear main seal and that was probably 8 years ago), never seen any oil on the ground though, maybe cranking some bolts a bit would be worth a try.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 03:01 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2012
Vehicle: 1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 1189 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mrboca
Well, let's try to revisit the climate system on some sunny and warmer day . At the low end of the outside temperature, it is hard to diagnose what is what.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	2478694  
tmabiker likes this.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 07:58 PM
Outstanding Contributor
SDS Guru

Date registered: Apr 2014
Vehicle: 1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E320
Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 770 Post(s)
If your car has the oil cooler integrated into the oil filter housing, look underneath the oil cooler with a mirror. Common source of oil/coolant leak. Also the oil filter housing gasket sometimes leaks, but it's a slow seeping leak. Also common.

Then there is the valve cover gasket leak, which again is a common problem.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 11:48 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2015
Vehicle: 2002 Mercedes ML320, Mercedes 190E 2.3L (sold), 2001 Mercedes c320(gone)
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Garage
Smoke From Engine Bay

Also if any leaking oil touches the exhaust it's going to burn with a dark grey, strong smelling smoke. Check if any of the leaks are dripping around the exhaust parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tmabiker likes this.

Last edited by noetico; 01-05-2019 at 02:03 AM.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 07:31 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2003 Post(s)
The AC on those cars come even in cold weather as windshield defroster, so you can't eliminate it from troubleshooting.
Even electric fan comes in freezing temperatures, what is part of self-testing.
tmabiker likes this.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by noetico View Post
Also if any leaking oil touches the exhaust it's going to burn with a dark grey, strong smelling smoke. Check if any of the leaks are dripping around the exhaust parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It was dark so I didn’t see the color but it was definitely very strong. I think there is probably seepage that gets close to he exhaust parts at the bottom part of the engine. The mirror idea is good I’ll have to get one.

It’s had 200 additional miles since the smoke so hopefully it was just a fluke thing. Will maybe run some leak sealant through the oil just for now.

Last edited by tmabiker; 01-05-2019 at 02:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in