post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2015
Vehicle: 2003 E320 Wagon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Time to Sell? Rust!

I have a 2003 E320 4 magic wagon. I bought it 3 years ago on eBay for $2800 and have since put 6K into it. Lots of repairs. Engine and Tranny is strong though. It had minor rust that has now gotten out of control. Both rear fenders have a lot of rust over the wheels and there is some rust billing though on the rear door. It now has 175k miles on it. I recently found out it needs springs and shocks and was quoted $2500 for that repair. Im thinking its time to move on.
Alternatively I could just drive it until the next break down and junk it then, or sell it now. I don't know what I could get for a car with rust and high mileage.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 12:41 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2009
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage
Sell the good bits or put them into a rustfree W124.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tuttebenne likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 09:56 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2001 E320 Wagon
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
in the same position

hi jonboy, i'm also in NYC and in the same situation you're in. i have a 2001 wagon with 130K miles and there's rust on the wheel wells and rear door. it keeps coming back. for the first time i've ever i've had a transmission issue which fluid flushes, a filter change, and a connector change has remedied for now.

i'm interested to hear from the members here which year of wagon they would go for next? i have not been in the market for another car for a long time and have lost track of which subsequent wagons have been the real winners? and which not great winners?

2001 E320 Wagon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 11:07 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 93 190E 2.3, 94 E320 (sold), 01 E320, 99 S320, 18 Durango
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Same issue with minor front fender rust on my sedan. I decided to drive it till I kill it as I will never recoup the amount of money or time put into this car since I bought it 6 years ago.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 11:24 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2016
Vehicle: 2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
Quoted: 923 Post(s)
Depends on how much you like driving this car. Do the W210 wagons have AIRmatic, or do they have coil springs on all four corners? If it's coil springs, could you do a little DIY?

With coil-spring cars, there's the spring, and there's the shock absorber. Usually, springs are lifetime items unless they crack, but the shock absorbers do need replacement about every 15 years or so, so yours is about due. I'd find out if the springs are cracked--in which case the job is bigger--or if it's just the shock absorbers. Just last year, I replaced the shock absorbers on my truck, using Bilstein shocks, and it wasn't all that difficult. Yep, I also live where they use road salt. Soak it well with some penetrating oil (e. g. Liquid Wrench, WD-40, PB-Blaster, and so on) beforehand. Might also pick up a propane or MAPP gas torch to heat things up before applying the penetrating oil; heat often helps. I use a propane torch, and it helps.

If you can do this, then you'll likely get a lot more miles out of that car. If so, might as well do just that and keep driving it.

2000 S430 (Dad's car, used for special occasions)
2000 S500 (best friend's--now WIFE's--DD: my first W220 project car, once gone to, and now returned from, an excellent home--welcome back home, baby!)
2003 S430 (one of two current DD's--second W220 project car)
2003 S600 (third w220 project car, "sex on wheels")
2005 E320 CDI (the other current DD--first W211 project car)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 03:14 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jan 2017
Vehicle: 1998 E320s sedan and wagon
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Is the wagon at risk of failing a safety inspection?

US 210 wagons have coil springs and shocks up front, hydraulic SLS with helper coil springs in the back.

My 203 wagon has coil springs and shocks all around.

Sixto
98 E320s sedan and wagon
02 C320 wagon
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Yes its the hydraulic rear shocks and the rear springs are cracked. Makes a strange clanking noice when going over a bump while turning. I was quoted about 2500 for springs and shocks. I would probably do it, if it weren't for the rust. If it didn't have the suspension issue I would just see driving the car another year or so as it is. Its my daily driver and I do about 100 miles a day for work.

At this point Im thinking about just buying a used Buick or Cadillac lol. That Mercedes has cost me a small fortune over the last three years. And no I cant DIYS so I take it to an indy. But its still pricey.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 02:03 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: W124
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBoyOhBoy View Post
Yes its the hydraulic rear shocks and the rear springs are cracked. Makes a strange clanking noice when going over a bump while turning. I was quoted about 2500 for springs and shocks. I would probably do it, if it weren't for the rust. If it didn't have the suspension issue I would just see driving the car another year or so as it is. Its my daily driver and I do about 100 miles a day for work.

At this point Im thinking about just buying a used Buick or Cadillac lol. That Mercedes has cost me a small fortune over the last three years. And no I cant DIYS so I take it to an indy. But its still pricey.
I might be way off base here so keep me honest. On a W124 with SLS, the rear hydraulic rams usually don't leak but they develop a knock when going over sharp bumps in the road. I have purchased new ones and of course it resolved the issue but lately I have solved the problem by replacing the plastic bushing at the bottom of the ram. Its a little bit of work but well worth the effort because the bushing you use costs $10.00 from "Energy Suspension" while the rams themselves cost anywhere from $400- 600. Maybe the W210 is totally different from the W124 in this regard but I thought I would mention it.

'
'93 400E
'93 500E
'94 E320TE
'00 E320
'02 E320
'73 Alfa GTV
'77 308GTB
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Yup exactly. A cloning noise while going over bumps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in