Date registered: Jun 2018
Vehicle: 2001 E320 4matic
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Key fob question

Hi,

This is my first post.

I have a broken key fob. I also have a working key fob so I am certain the key fob is broken rather than some other problem. I also know this because I took the broken one apart and the inductor was broken off. I put it back together without the inductor and it still operates the doors and trunk but not the ignition (for obvious reasons).

So my question is, can I use this as is to start the car if I hold down one of the buttons while turning the key. I read somewhere on this forum that this will power the unit as long as I am holding one of the buttons down. But I wanted to make sure I don't break something or get the key stuck in the ignition before attempting this.

If this works, this will make a useful backup key in the event my other key fails at some point in the future. I'd prefer not to attempt repairing it with a replacement inductor for fear that I might break something else.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 02:55 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Jun 2012
Vehicle: 1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 1170 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mrboca
Hello

If what you described worked that would have been great news for many who had the same problem as you do. You are lucky you have a working key.

I do not believe pressing a key will make the key turn if the coil is broken. There may be a small probability it may work if timed with split second accuracy. The reason is, when you press a key, the key electronics is powered up for a short time only, just to transmit the infra-red and the radio codes, then power is turned off from the controller. If you keep pressing the key nothing will happen. This is to prevent battery drain if a key is pressed in a pocket or somewhere continuously.

The coil does the same thing. It supplies power to the key electronics as long as the ignition switch (EIS) supplies inductive power. So when you insert the key, with no coil, the key is not powered. You press a key and the key sends an IR code for remote which the EIS does not understand, and if the EIS does not receive the code sequence it requires, it turns off the power, and that is the end of it.

If you cannot repair the key (you can get an inductor but you need some soldering skills and a steady hand), you can send it out to a forum member and if he accepts to help you out, he will transfer the chip inside to a new key, so you will have a working key again.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for your answer. I was afraid of that. I don't have the tools to do a proper repair, so I am open to offers to repair this for me. Not in any hurry as I still have a working key.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 04:59 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jul 2008
Vehicle: 2005 CLK500 w/30K
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsharp View Post
Not in any hurry as I still have a working key.
If I only had 1 key I'd be nervous all the time. You are then one "dropped in a puddle/washed in jeans/lost on beach" away from a tow truck and expensive trip to dealer.

I can move these chips but I have only done one of those 1st Gen keys. It worked eventually but there was some weirdness.

I bought 2 of the Gen 1s to do that key, but 2nd one may or may not be any good for the coil part.

What I need is to figure out a way to create a similar magnetic field so I could test for the current generated in the key.

These Gen 1s are getting on 20+ years old now, best bet would be to find a pristine one on Ebay that sat in a drawer for most of last 2 decades.

I have been doing this work just for cost of parts & shipping but am going to start asking for $10 for beer. (6 pack in LA now is $10, grrr)

Anyhow, if you want to get it fixed, PM me.

If by chance it's a Gen 2 version, I have plenty of those, they hold up better anyhow.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 07:58 PM
Outstanding Contributor

He has a 2001 E320, and I am sure the key is of gen 2. The poster can confirm whether the panic key is at the tip or at the back of the key fob.

Quote:
What I need is to figure out a way to create a similar magnetic field so I could test for the current generated in the key.
You need a variable output level frequency generator to generate about 125 Kilo-Hertz connected to a coil on a carcass about 1 inch in diameter, 200 turns. Adjust the voltage level to develop around 6V at the key coil, after the rectifying diodes, before the regulator chip.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 06:40 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2008
Vehicle: 2001 E430 217K mi. Obsidian Black metallic, Ash/Orion Grey interior
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for your answer. I was afraid of that. I don't have the tools to do a proper repair, so I am open to offers to repair this for me. Not in any hurry as I still have a working key.
Bite the bullet and go to the dealer and get a new key. If you lose your only key or it fails, you will regret not having done it sooner.

Fred
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 07:52 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1977 Post(s)
Shop around as lot of dealers do price gouging. Ask if they still offer service keys. Those are much cheaper and serve the purpose of spare one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for all the replies and the offer to help. I found a source for the inductor and this is easy enough to try to fix. So I'm going to give that a go. If for some reason I can't get that to work, then I'll be back looking for help.

By the way, I've seen a lot of locksmiths advertising that they can program new keys (with prices of around $60). The e-bay ads for keys also claim locksmiths can do this with the keys they are selling. Is this really the case?
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
By the way, my key has the panic button near the tip, so Gen 2.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 10:00 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies and the offer to help. I found a source for the inductor and this is easy enough to try to fix. So I'm going to give that a go. If for some reason I can't get that to work, then I'll be back looking for help.

By the way, I've seen a lot of locksmiths advertising that they can program new keys (with prices of around $60). The e-bay ads for keys also claim locksmiths can do this with the keys they are selling. Is this really the case?
If you provide the link, we will have a look.

I guess if you were to get a key from a dealer, you would not be asking us in the first place
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in