BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2018
Vehicle: 2001 E320 4matic
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboca View Post
If you provide the link, we will have a look.
Here's a link for the locksmith and one for the replacement key on e-bay:

https://www.locksmithspros.com/mercedes-locksmith

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement...wAAOSwXeJYKy49
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 10:51 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Jun 2012
Vehicle: 1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 1170 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mrboca
Well you surely can contact them ask if they can do the E320 gen 2 key that will work with your car. They have to be able to access the MB database to get the relevant information. Or they have to come to where your car is and do their magic . If they can do it they will likely to supply their own "blank" or "unprogrammed" key fob, so you would not need to get one from Ebay.

The key somehow needs to be registered as a working key with the EIS (the ignition switch).
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks. If I end up going that route I'll post my experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 11:28 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1976 Post(s)
I know licenced locksmith in Poland, who can reprogram any MB key.
But he needs ignition switch/module for the job.
Per my knowledge even with US dealers key coding is secret - known only to single location in whole country.
So if somebody advertise that he will program key to your car without removing the switch, you can be 99.9999999 % sure he sells snake oil.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 08:27 PM
Outstanding Contributor
SDS Guru

Date registered: Apr 2014
Vehicle: 1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E320
Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Yep. You need the EIS from the car in order to program keys. If someone were to give me a key from a MB and asked me to make one for them...I'd tell them I need the car or the EIS. I can't do anything with a key itself...only clone it over to an identical key.

--1998 MB E300TD 291k
--1997 MB E36 Frankenstein'd AMG 199k
--2011 Suzuki DL650 58k
--1997 MB E320 161k. SOLD...loved that stupid car.

--1997 MB C36 AMG 273k -- stripped and junked
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 05:21 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jul 2008
Vehicle: 2005 CLK500 w/30K
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsharp View Post
Here's a link for the locksmith and one for the replacement key on e-bay:

https://www.locksmithspros.com/mercedes-locksmith

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement...wAAOSwXeJYKy49
There most definitely are locksmiths who have purchased the gear and learned how to make these keys. That particular ad is a little generic, almost feels like copy & pasted info and following link to the "make a key" page seems to be all about actual metal keys.

The $23 key blank is also interesting. We all know the "You'll have to take it to a dealer for programming" line is baloney. They'd laugh you out of any dealer in the US if you tried. And in their feedback is this negative:

Fake dummy key from China per dealership and locksmith's. g***l During past month
Replacement For 2012 2013 2014 2015 Mercedes Benz S550 Key Fob Remote (#401266406908)

So it certainly sounds like THAT GUY got laughed out of a dealership.

But I am curious if inside those keys are same electronically as real ones. The Chrome keys I buy for the chip swap have been rising in price in last few years. I only buy nice ones now, nobody wants a cracked and worn one as an "upgrade". They are usually $50-60 while the Triangle Panic button ones that you can't do this (or anything really) with are usually $5-10.

So if the Chrome one that is $23 (from the Bay feedback) uses same NEC chip, it could be a way to reduce cost of doing Chrome upgrades. I know the real MB ones hold up, the ones I did for my CLK both still work and look practically new, and I did those 5 or 6 years ago. That would be my worry about these new ones, they are likely not made to MB standards, but for $23, maybe I'll order one.

The fact that the ad doesn't mention Keyless-Go or not is also a bad sign. They are completely different keys, KLG having much more on the PCB. The S class from 2012 to 2015 would seem to have greater chance of having KLG.

Last edited by 93SoCal400E; 06-29-2018 at 05:24 AM.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 07:34 AM
BenzWorld Elite

The original MB keys that show on ebay are from cleaning people who steal them at auction yards.
Years ago I bought high-mileage, but in pristine condition W211 who was corporate car. I was able to contact original owner about 2nd key and got the message that all the manuals and keys were in the car when they sold it. They never made via the auction yard.
It is really fascinated how the chrome keys pricing go.
The first chrome key I order about 9 years ago from Duval. At the time that was the only MB dealer (in FL) doing internet sales and after faxing them copy of title I got the shiny key for $120.
Now Duval is gone and $120 keys are gone.

Last edited by Kajtek1; 06-29-2018 at 07:36 AM.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 08:31 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Hm, checking google for keys pictures, I run into this Mercedes key replacement | Mobile Locksmith & Express Overhead Co.
A locksmith in Tulsa doing full service to MB keys and ignition.

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 09:21 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Jun 2012
Vehicle: 1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 1170 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mrboca
The only way to find out is to call them.

I know there is a movement and action to force the manufacturers open their databases to let authorized and "due paying" shops to access and make keys for the customers, to end the monopoly of manufacturers and them gauging their customers with exorbitant key replacement fees. I have a feeling that a great chunk of the replacement key price is due to administrative costs, and overhead which is quite high for a typical MB dealer.

For my LS430, I can get a blank keyfob with a transponder and lock/unlock/trunk buttons for $20. I can get the key cut for another $20, and program it myself (as long as I have the master key). The same key (OEM version) would cost me at least $150, and a trip to a dealer.

Last edited by mrboca; 06-29-2018 at 09:25 AM.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Well, you learn something every day. I was just reading the manual that came with the car. I apparently have an electronic reserve key that starts the car but does not work the locks etc. But my broken main key does work the locks, so I currently do have an effective spare key with the combination of these two.

I completely forgot that I had this reserve key.

I am still going to try to repair the broken key, but currently no need to pursue any other path.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in