post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2002
Vehicle: 2002 E320 4Matic Sedan
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
starting issue question

I just had a "no start" condition on my 2001 wagon. 1st crank car started and immediately died. 2nd crank car started and immediately died. 3rd crank car started as usual.

I had just replaced the spark plugs at 200k miles. After replacement the car started on 1st crank and I drove it for about 30 minutes. After stopping at a store I had the two failed start conditions. Following that I have started the car six times without issue.

Prior to this no start incident the car has always started on first crank except when I had a bad CPS that was replaced. In that case the car would crank but would not start.

I checked for ODB2 codes and there were none (actual or pending).

Could this be somehow related to the plug change or is there another pending issue that I should monitor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 09:12 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2012
Vehicle: 1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 1190 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mrboca
Hello

When you say the car started and immediately died, can you specify what immediate is ? one second ? or more?

When did you replace the CPS ? with a genuine MB / Bosch one ?

Could be your fuel pump going bad. You will have this problem if the car ignition is off for some extended time.
dlafever likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 10:58 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: 2010 E350 P1/P2, 2008 S550 Designo, 2002 ML320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Due to no codes ... sounds very similar to when my fuel pump's check valve died. When the car was cold it started every time, but warm to hot it would always take more than one try. Check the fuel pressure at the rail, I'd almost bet yours is dropping below 30PSI after shutoff.

Here's a thread for some details.

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...ded-crank.html
MTUser likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
When I cranked the car it fired and started after about 1 second. There was no delay that I noticed - it seems like a normal start - turn and release key and car fired right up as was normal - it ran for about 1 - 2 seconds and then quit. Same thing on 2nd attempt and then the 3rd crank was fine. All 3 of these starts were after the car was warmed up as I had just driven about 35 minutes and then ran into a store for about 5 minutes. The successful starts after that 4 were warm and 2 were cool (car was off for about an hour). Car started and ran on each of those.

I'd have to check how long ago, but I replaced the CPS a few years back with a genuine part from the MB dealer. When it died the car would crank but not fire and start. As I recall these were when the car was warm. No issues after replacing the CPS.

I don't have a tool to check fuel pressure. Will this one from HF work or is there a better alternative? It says it won't fit Bosch, but I thought I remembered reading that it will work for our W210s.
https://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-i...ter-62623.html
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 07:01 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: 2010 E350 P1/P2, 2008 S550 Designo, 2002 ML320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooktre View Post
When I cranked the car it fired and started after about 1 second. There was no delay that I noticed - it seems like a normal start - turn and release key and car fired right up as was normal - it ran for about 1 - 2 seconds and then quit. Same thing on 2nd attempt and then the 3rd crank was fine. All 3 of these starts were after the car was warmed up as I had just driven about 35 minutes and then ran into a store for about 5 minutes. The successful starts after that 4 were warm and 2 were cool (car was off for about an hour). Car started and ran on each of those.
This kind of unpredictable behavior was exactly what I was seeing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooktre View Post
I don't have a tool to check fuel pressure. Will this one from HF work or is there a better alternative? It says it won't fit Bosch, but I thought I remembered reading that it will work for our W210s.
https://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-i...ter-62623.html
I don't know for certain if that unit will work, the real trick is finding the correct adapter for the schrader valve on the fuel rail. The Actron unit I found at Auto Zone is CP7818 and can be found on Amazon, Walmart, Toolsource as well. The Bosch CIS (mentioned in the HF listing as not supported) is the one seen in this post, much older style injection than your 2001 has.
https://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c1...l#post10650881
MTUser likes this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 09:47 AM
BenzWorld Elite

The HF one should work, but reading the people's comments it seems to be of low quality which may be an issue later on. If there is a problem you can of course get a replacement if HF is conveniently nearby.

Let the car sit overnight. If it does not start in the morning with the first start, it is likely the fuel pump check valve allowing the fuel to drain from the fuel lines. Some small amount of leakage is acceptable, which will be replenished with the fuel pump operation to restore the pressure (providing that the relay that powers is not flaky). Over time, the fuel pump relay gets old and tired, and for your car it is easy to replace (under the rear seat) for $10 or so.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
No issues with cold start this morning.

When I had a W124 it would not start on first crank in the morning. It would crank but not start on the first try. It would always start on the second try and would start on the first try when the car was warm. I always thought this was due to a fuel pressure issue but never did any troubleshooting.

What I experienced on my W210 was different because the car cranked and started but then cut off.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 05:49 PM
BenzWorld Elite

The way W124 starts is different from your W210. Your car has a tip start, meaning you just have to tip the key to start position, (no need to hold), and the engine computer turns the starter relay on which provides power to the starter solenoid. When cranking, the starter has to provide more than 100 rpm and the ECU will turn the injectors and ignition functions on to get to engine to reach certain rpm (450 to 700 if I remember correctly), if not reached the relay is turned off to prevent damage to the ring within X seconds or so.

If your car consistently starts in the first cold morning try, that means fuel pressure is still good.

Few things to check.

1) Make sure the battery is fully charged. In your earlier post you indicated you replaced the starter, and it appeared that the your battery is marginal. Have you replaced / checked the battery ?

2) Have you put any grease on the starter ring gear in installing the starter ?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
The issue where I replaced the starter was on my sedan - this issue is on my wagon. I can check the battery. It was replaced December 2016.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in