post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2016
Vehicle: 1999 E320 base sedan
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Sunroof motor or switch - which is broken?

I just replaced the drive cables on my sunroof, which was stuck closed when I bought the car almost a year ago. While the sunroof now operates properly with the hand crank, the motor is wonky. Since mine never worked, I don't know what proper operation is supposed to be like, and I don't know if my problem is the switch or the motor. Here's the symptoms:

If I push the switch forward to close the sunroof, nothing happens. If I push it up to pop open the back, it closes and once closed it continues to run and pops open in back; it runs an extremely long time before stopping. If I pull it down to close it in back nothing happens. If I pull it back to open it opens for a bit then stops. If I release the switch then pull back again it runs for a bit then stops. If the sunroof is fully closed and popped open in back all the way and I pull the switch back, it runs just long enough to lower the back, closing it, then continue a bit more cracking it open.

How it is supposed to work? I'm guessing that: 1) if it's open and you push up or pull down nothing is supposed to happen (mine closes if you push up, then pops open in back). 2) if it's closed and you push forward or pull down nothing happens; if you pull back it slides open and if you push up it pops open in back. 3) if it's popped up and you push up, push forward, or pull back nothing happens (pulling back on mine closes it in back then slides it open); pull down and it's supposed to close then stop.

Any clue if this is a motor issue or a switch issue? Is the switch sending bad commands or has the motor gone rogue? How can I tell? I'm inclined to get both at a wrecking yard and replace the pair, but W210s aren't exactly plentiful in wrecking yards around here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 07:08 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Sep 2016
Vehicle: 2002 E55 AMG Sedan
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Have you done the re-sync procedure for the sunroof?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by illstplaya View Post
Have you done the re-sync procedure for the sunroof?
Yes, that's when I discovered the problem. The sunroof raises and lowers, opens and closes just fine, but only with the Up and Back switches, and with the time limits mentioned. Forward and Down do nothing. If Forward and Down worked I'd suspect the hall effect sensors in the motor, so I'm leaning toward the switch assembly - especially since Up drives it forward and Back lowers it. But I'd rather not have to buy one just to see if that's the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 08:35 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Sep 2016
Vehicle: 2002 E55 AMG Sedan
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
I have added comments at the end of your questions.

How it is supposed to work? I'm guessing that:

1) if it's open and you push up or pull down nothing is supposed to happen (mine closes if you push up, then pops open in back). Wrong. If it's open, and you push up, the sunroof will close and tilt up. If it's open and you pull down, the sunroof will close.

2) if it's closed and you push forward or pull down nothing happens; Correct.

If you pull back it slides open and if you push up it pops open in back. Correct.

3) if it's popped up and you push up, push forward, or pull back nothing happens (pulling back on mine closes it in back then slides it open); pull down and it's supposed to close then stop.

If the sunroof is tilted up, and you push up, nothing should happen. Motor should not run. If it's tilted up, and you pull forward sunroof should close. If it's tilted up, and you pull back the sunroof will go down and slide open all the way. If the sunroof is tilted up, and you pull down, the sunroof will close.

Any clue if this is a motor issue or a switch issue? Is the switch sending bad commands or has the motor gone rogue? How can I tell? I'm inclined to get both at a wrecking yard and replace the pair, but W210s aren't exactly plentiful in wrecking yards around here.

Typically neither the sunroof motor nor the switch fail on these cars, even on the early models. So I'm thinking the re-sync procedure needs to be done again. You should disconnect the battery and do the re-sync again. Or I guess it's possible when you put the sunroof back together something did not get aligned properly. It's hard to say.

I had a similar situation with my driver seat after I disconnected the battery. I tried to do the re-sync and the seat would not go forward or it would only move forward a little and then go back. This made doing the re-sync basically impossible. I was tempted to bring the car in to get the ESA module scanned because I couldn't figure out what was going on. But instead I kept trying and finally a few days after I initially tried, I was able to get the seat all the way forward while still holding the switch and I completed the re-sync.

But you say that when you push the button up and the sunroof tilts up, the motor just continues to run for a little while after right? It would lead me to believe the motor doesn't think the sunroof is in the proper position. It's possible the hall sensors are faulty or maybe something wasnt aligned properly when you put the sunroof back together.

What you should do it get the N70 which is the roof panel control module scanned for error codes as well as the M12/1 which is the sunroof motor scanned for error codes. There are more than a few codes which may be present. This would be the best way to go about it. Sorry for the long reply. Just trying to cover all bases.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thank you for the detailed reply! I'll try the battery first, since it's the simplest.

How do I check the N70 and M12/1 codes? Do I need to take it to the dealer? I'm assuming an OBD II scanner won't work and I need a Star scanner, which is out of my price range. In fact, most places around here don't service newer Mercedes because they don't get enough business to justify a Star scanner and WIS subscription. It frankly makes it cheaper to just replace both the motor and the controller myself than pay the dealer for a diagnostic.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Problem solved!

Thank you, thank you, thank you illstplaya! I found a thread on the W221 forum about synchronization after battery removal (and now see it's also in the W210 stickys) that said to press the Up switch and hold it for 2 seconds after the panel fully opens, and that did it. Funny, I poured over the Owner's Manual and while it mentioned synchronizing the seats and windows it didn't mention the sunroof anywhere. The only reference to synchronization I found referred to synchronizing the motor with the linkage after servicing the mechanism, but that assumed your sunroof was working prior to the mechanical service, which mine was not.

Specifically, the Owner's Manual says: "After reconnecting the battery also resynchronize the front seat head restraints and the Express feature of the power windows (see Head Restraints and Power Windows in Index)." Funny how incomplete the Owner's Manual can be for such an expensive car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in