slight water pump pulley wobble - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 04:59 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2015
Vehicle: 2002 E320 4Matic
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
PT_700 did the kit hold up? I'm about the do the same job myself and it is hard to look past the savings of the eBay kit...My car has 186,000 miles on it and I'm not sure the rest of the car will outlast the water pump - even a cheap knockoff version.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2012
Vehicle: 1998 e430
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
so far, so good. car's done about 10-15k miles since. i've been carefully monitoring the water pump and tensioner pulley and they're still as tight as when installed.

while i'd expect oem parts to last longer, having done the job i don't dread the prospect of doing it again. if these parts (i can still can follow the ebay link) are more comfortable for your budget, i wouldn't feel bad about using non-oem in this case from this supplier.

now, if i can just motivate to recondition the suspension...
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 05:21 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Ugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt_700 View Post
so far, so good. car's done about 10-15k miles since. i've been carefully monitoring the water pump and tensioner pulley and they're still as tight as when installed.

while i'd expect oem parts to last longer, having done the job i don't dread the prospect of doing it again. if these parts (i can still can follow the ebay link) are more comfortable for your budget, i wouldn't feel bad about using non-oem in this case from this supplier.
I couldn't pass up the savings on the ebay parts (link still worked) so I just went ahead and ordered them last night. My car has 186k and I just need to get it through another year. I know some may say it is short sighted to 'save' that money on an unknown quality part. I don't disagree, but I just need them to last a year. I'm ok taking a gamble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt_700 View Post
now, if i can just motivate to recondition the suspension...
I did pretty much everything on the front end of my car with the exception of the lower control arms. My car is a 4Matic and the shocks were quite a treat to do. No problems just took me and my brother a full day for those and the tie rods. I didn't realize my upper control arms were bad too so I ended up doing those a bit later. It would've made so much sense for us to do all of those at one shot.

But there is a wealth of info here on the forum to do all these things.

Say you don't happen to know what the Torx socket is in the center of the tensioner do you? On mine it looks like a T-50 but it has a pin in the center of the bolt that wouldn't allow a usual Torx to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 06:22 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2012
Vehicle: 1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 1192 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mrboca
If it is in the center of the plastic pulley, you do not need to remove the pulley. Just two bolts on its frame, and it is out.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2012
Vehicle: 1998 e430
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
you might be referring to the idler pulley, its the one at the top of the engine. had to look at the ad pic (car's not here right now) and the wear marks on my hardly used set. i'm gonna guess that one's a t40, all the others look unused.

go ahead and spend the parts savings on a set, ha ha!
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 08:17 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2012
Vehicle: 1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 1192 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mrboca
No, I was referring to the tensioner. However, you should change the idler pulley and the belt too while you are at it. The tensioner old design needs a socket to shift to remove one of the bolts. The new style has a hex stud to shift the tensioner so you can put the locking pin prior to removal.

See the video below from Todd Raleigh who has the old style tensioner.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 08:24 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jan 2017
Vehicle: 1998 E320s sedan and wagon
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
I?ve found that if the pulley bolt takes a T-40/45/50 bit with a hole in the middle, it has a 17mm hex to swing the pulley away from the second attachment bolt. The kind without a 17mm hex can be moved with an 8mm 6-pt socket over the e-torx stub.

Sixto
98 E320s sedan and wagon
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 12:11 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

mrboca and tabijan are correct and addressed what I ultimately was looking for. I have a belt tensioner "Style C" referenced early in the video mrboca embedded. It has the 17mm stud that is used to rotate the pulley. That stud was obscured by my serpantine belt (or I just didn't look closely enough!). I suspect the security post in the Torx fastener is so that folks don't try to loosen it, thinking that is what is used to rotate the tensioner to loosen the belt.

Along with the water pump, I'll be replacing the idler pulley and the belt tensioner and belt on my engine. The bolt that holds in my idler pulley is a T-50.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 07:35 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

I installed the eBay kit that PT_700 linked earlier. That kit included the water pump, idler pulley, belt tensioner, thermostat, and fan clutch. The shipping time for that from California was actually faster than the small parts I ordered from Pelican Parts on the same day/same time. From Pelican I got a new belt, a new idler pulley bolt (which I didn't really need), radiator drain plug (which didn't end up breaking), new water jacket drain plugs (which I didn't use because I couldn't find them on my car - perhaps because it is a 4Matic) and a new lower radiator hose (I got this because it was going to be the hardest to replace when the original fails in a couple of months - plus the original looked really sketchy). In all I spent $153 on parts and shipping. I already had the coolant on hand from earlier.

The install went about as smoothly as you could hope. My coolant was the most disgusting color of yellow/green you've ever seen short of a baby's diaper. My water pump was on it's last leg with about 4-5mm of play in it. Surprising it didn't throw the belt off in the last week of its miserable life. I saw a tip in one of the videos regarding the water pump bolts. I made an outline of the water pump on the side of the cardboard box it came in. Then I punched out the bolt holes for the water pump so I could put each one in that template as they came out. There are 3 different ETorx bolt sizes and probably 127 different lengths. So that made it easy to get the right bolt back in the right hole when reassembling.

Hopefully I get 10-15k out of this water pump and other bits, like PT_700 did. After this car hits 200k, it's not long for this world. I'll be looking to move on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in