Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 05 500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Unusual Transmission Behavior

MY01 E430 @ ~210,400 Miles
A couple of days ago as I came to a stop sign, I noticed that there was no clear downshift. I usually touch shift to slow down - that was not working either. The transmission was stuck in some gear - the display showed 4 but I know I wasn't in 4th when I started to move because of the higher than expected revs. It was not slipping - it just would not upshift. Thinking this was electronic related, I stopped the car, waited for a while and restarted. Everything started working just fine. Later in the day, shifting into R came with a thick "thud" I'd never felt on this car. In D, it "thuded" again into the next gear as I started to move - this is like near crawl speed. I drove to my local mechanic (it drove fine) and had the tranny oil changed (I have already done it twice on this car, but I was just hoping...). All was fine as I drove to DC yesterday. At one point on my way back, I put my foot down hard on throttle to execute a pass. I was expecting kickdown but nothing happened. The tranny was stuck again in some gear (display showed D) but it couldn't have been due to higher than expected revs at speed. I stopped, turned off A/C and after a while, the 1.5 Hrs drive home was uneventful. I can't recreate the situation because I don't know what causes it. I turned off the A/C just because in my mind the tranny could be overheating and the A/C would not be helping - I just wanted to get home to deal with it later. Help folks. Thanks.

1996 Z32 TT
A 18Hp lawn mower
370Z - I want one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 06:30 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
Location: Sacramento, California & El Dorado Hills, California, USA
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1223 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
The easy thing to do is to check your TCM for oil. Unplug the connectors, and look at the bottoms of each...

I would check to see if your fluid is upto the level too

Some will say read your codes too.

My 2002 kinda did something like this, and I found oil in the TCM.

Martin
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 07:08 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: 1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
The good news you are still "in motion" - and the other good news is is other than a "one-time-thud" - you don't have grind-em-up-chunka-chunk noises.... and your "trusted mechanic" didn't report burn-small/pieces when he did tranny service..

You've got direction on the "comm" stuff:

1) replace tranny adapter plug MB/MOPAR brand only - $10 from Amazon - like $5 at a Chrysler store

https://www.amazon.com/CHRYSLER-DODGE-SPRINTER-TRANSMISSION-CONNECTOR/dp/B003ZW4M0Y
2) If you're going to pull the TCM - might as well pick up a $6-$9 can of CRC LAF cleaner and plan to clean it anyway - see stickies - flood board both sides to run off contaminants - clean both side of connector - let air dry well (no heat)

CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner, 11 oz. 05110: Advance Auto Parts

3) If comm fix doesn't solve it - depending on "codes" may be time for fresh conductor plate - on that part market is FLODDED by China knockoff - haven't handled one on my side - I just say this because on this part there even has been brown-box with "kindof" MB label named "Genuine" or Genuine OE" .. gets messy

You've had 200K+ - and a little bit of attention probably a LOT more.

Keep the beat !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 03:57 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2012
Vehicle: 2001 E320 4matic Wagon
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
After confirming no fluid in TCM, tranny adapter plug isn't leaking/seeping, and tranny fluid level (at both specific temperatures) is appropriate, you could try one of the transmission adaptive resets shown below.

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...omp-reset.html

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...our-22-6x.html

Hope it's a quick, cost-free fix.

Gehan
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 09:01 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jun 2011
Vehicle: 2001 E320 RWD- 2011 E350 4M
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
In my opinion it points to a bad speed sensor or conductor plate issue but start with an easier and cheaper solutions, just like Martin and Fabb said a can or 2 MAF cleaner and clean the TCM, if TCM is wet with oil that also points to a leaking adapter plug aka pilot bushing, that part I get from the stealership just to sleep better, stealership asking $18 for it, I don't like to take the chance with a $11 online crap.
So get the communication right and we can go from there.
Let us know pls
Al
MAVA likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 05 500
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01blackhawk View Post
In my opinion it points to a bad speed sensor or conductor plate issue but start with an easier and cheaper solutions, just like Martin and Fabb said a can or 2 MAF cleaner and clean the TCM, if TCM is wet with oil that also points to a leaking adapter plug aka pilot bushing, that part I get from the stealership just to sleep better, stealership asking $18 for it, I don't like to take the chance with a $11 online crap.
So get the communication right and we can go from there.
Let us know pls
Al
Thanks all for your suggestions. So far, car is driving fine - does not mean problem is solved. I will take to my local indie for full diagnosis and repair. Promise to keep you folks posted.
Kajtek1 and MAVA like this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 06:32 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: 1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
No offense - "take to my local indie for full diagnosis and repair" is like a well-trained boxer "leading with his chin"..

Bring him a adapter plug... and ask him how much to get what you want - done..

"Leading with the chin" leads to unnecessary $600+ conductor plate replacement - indies and dealers both know bad comm needs to be cleared first to insure codes are not false codes - but heck, MB WIS says - you got this code "POxxx" - replace conductor plate - Requires Tranny Service too + replace the $20 plug on top - and with a false code take home $100's of unnecessary tranny work..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in