Outstanding Contributor
SDS Guru

Date registered: Apr 2014
Vehicle: 1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E320
Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Just so you know what I'm talking about:

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/8670073-post2.html

It's the shiny block in the first picture. #180 in the 3rd picture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2015
Vehicle: 2003 E320 Wagon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I see. My problem is I don't have the time to do this myself. I need to find a local mechanic in the Yonkers area who won't rip me off, and who knows how to do it
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deplore View Post
Just so you know what I'm talking about:

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/8670073-post2.html

It's the shiny block in the first picture. #180 in the 3rd picture.
Just to add something I just realized, the steering is very tight when the car is not moving. I mean, its tighter then usual. of course once its moving its fine. I assumed its just the way the car is made. Since its the same system that controls the rear suspension, could this be related?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 09:09 PM
Outstanding Contributor
SDS Guru

I'm sure there has to be someone trustworthy. Given your comments about the mechanics recommendation to replace shocks and struts and whatsnot.... you need to find someone who actually knows MB, not those who occasionally work on one.

If the rear end is sagging, then you only need to find out why its sagging and replace the offending part. Anybody who recommends replacing struts, power steering pump or anything that leads into 4 digit invoice, run. They don't know what they're talking about....alternatively, they want to take advantage of a clueless owner. I don't know which is worse.

Either way, run.

First, educate yourself on how the system works, what it is supposed to do, what is a wear and tear item, and what is a item that is only needs to be replaced when it goes bad, and then you'll be better equipped when dealing with mechanics...even reputable ones.

Now:

Power steering pump (this is the pump that also controls the hydraulic pump) -- only replace when leaking or not working.
Struts -- only replace when leaking
Level valve -- only replace when rear end sags (which is happening in your case... better to verify first)
Accumulators -- replace when you experience harsh ride over bumps. This is a wear and tear item. (this is a item that absorbs the vibration and shocks from the road. If it goes bad, you will feel the road that much more and the noise will be very bad)
Hydraulic fluid needs to be flushed every now and then. Doing it on the same schedule as a power steering flush is a good idea (once ever year)
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 09:13 PM
Outstanding Contributor
SDS Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBoyOhBoy View Post
Just to add something I just realized, the steering is very tight when the car is not moving. I mean, its tighter then usual. of course once its moving its fine. I assumed its just the way the car is made. Since its the same system that controls the rear suspension, could this be related?
Okay, this is new. Tighter than usual in what relation? Do you actually have to exert force to turn the steering?

At idle and at a stop, it should be very easy to turn the steering wheel. Finger light, even.
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Okay, this is new. Tighter than usual in what relation? Do you actually have to exert force to turn the steering?

At idle and at a stop, it should be very easy to turn the steering wheel. Finger light, even.
no not with a finger for sure. at idle or stop I have to use a bit of force. I am talking about full turning, like a U turn, not small half turns.
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 09:46 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1962 Post(s)
Would you have your PS pump failing, you'd really know it by now.
I am strong 210lb man, but when belt felt off our MB, I had hard time to make turns without PS assistance.
So this is good sign that your PS pump works. To make full troubleshooting you would need high pressure gauge, but I think checking the adjusting valve Dpl mentioned is easy enough to start.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 05:07 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2009
Vehicle: 2005 W215 CL500
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Duplicate post

Last edited by renault12ts; 12-21-2015 at 05:15 AM.
post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 05:07 AM
BenzWorld Elite

I don't think your rear is sagging...it looks about the same as mine. I do think however that your front is very high...and that's where the problem lies.

I am surprised at the level of misinformation from owners of W210s on the W210 forum.

Your car only came with hydraulic rear suspension as every e class estate car has for nearly 40 years. The height of the car...unless you have a load in the back, is determined by the springs...which you say are new.

The tight steering means nothing in relation to the rear end. Even if the fluid leaks out entirely, which happened to me once, the rear will not sag.

Your problem is at the front. I mean look at it..it looks ridiculous. If the rear did sag it wouldn't consequently raise the front!

Last edited by renault12ts; 12-21-2015 at 05:15 AM.
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 05:13 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:

My car is fitted with parameter steering...it has never been finger light at standstill. Once moving it is.

This is not a hydaulic problem...it's the front which has been fitted with new springs, like the back...but the WRONG ONES.

Last edited by renault12ts; 12-21-2015 at 05:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in