BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2015
Vehicle: 1999 E430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy Ran off from the indy body shop

I had a rather unique experience the other day with the w210, I decided to take it to a local "reccomended" indy body shop. It actually has the word "collision" in their name so I wasn't really prepared to be sent packing simpily because I was wanting to see how much it would cost to have the 6 rust spots I have going on repaired.

The guy who was in the office was watching me through the window as I pulled in, and he was already standing up at the door as I approached. We exchanged hellos, and when he asked what he could do to help me today, I said I have 5-6 rust spots, none were larger than 3" diameter and were just surface, not holes and I was wanting an estimate of repair cost.

He promptly told me "sorry, but rust cannot he fixed; once it starts its pretty much game over"...

I wanted to say "What about all those old cars I see on TV shows that look like hunks of pure rust that they somehow turn into these awesome Foose machines?". My poor old car may be rough, but its doesn't look like it was brought up from the titanic site?

I kinda stood there like an idiot for a minute, and I finally said so there's nothing you can do to help me, and he simply said nope. I said as I went out the door that I guess I'll just take my money elsewhere. Didn't make a difference, he seemed very content that I was going on my way, and he even walked outside as I was pulling out of the lot to move a smashed chevy tahoe SUV up to their service bays staging lane. I wasn't inside the office for more than 2 minutes total I bet.

So another strike for the Rough Benz. I had some plans for the car and even decided my next car will be a 2006 E55 (no s600 right now), but the way people locally are treating me I'm not so sure another Benz is the best option for me. I'm almost certain the Indy body shop guy trembled, or rather scoffed when he saw my ~2000 model Benz roll onto their lot judging from his reaction.

-Im starting to learn through experience that this car seems to be very hated in the area I live, the foothills of the appalachain mountains in the southern US (Tennessee...) I get Ill looks from all kinds of people, old any young alike. I drove it to the store awhile back and I was only inside for about 15 min, and when I came back my hood star was flopped over and wouldn't stand up by itself anymore. I am now trying to rig the hood open switch to a tension switch that will set the siren off if somebody tried to break my new star.

It may not make a difference as I could see bystanders around here taking amusement at someone yanking a hood star off a merc ("OMG kids will be kids and it's not like a "marcedes" owner can't afford to buy another hood ornament" is the feeling you get here....). Only the police would 100% take it as vandalism. On the other hand, mess with one of the stinky bro'd out 10" smoke stacked dodge diesel pickups that "roll coal" with witnesses around and you are going to jail. They are the "Mercedes" of my area; you are doing good when you drive one of those around here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 02:48 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Oct 2013
Vehicle: 07 E350, 80 240D 4 speed, 90 300SE, 87 260E
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 771 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
That blows.

Tennessee. Kentucky. West Virginia.

Not surprised.

Guess there is a reason everybody moved west.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 04:49 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Dec 2002
Vehicle: 2008 E 320 Bluetec (ELEGANCE) 2005 CLK500 (avant-garde)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I live in Kentucky. There are plenty of good body shops that will repair rust. They're not cheap of course and they also won't guarantee the rust repair UNLESS you let them replace the entire part instead of grinding down the rust but they are there!

2008 E 320 Bluetec (ELEGANCE)
2005 CLK500 Cabriolet (Avant-garde)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 05:21 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Apr 2014
Vehicle: W463,W204,W210, W123, W140
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Garage
Don't get too bummed out just find another shop. Also when looking for a body shop look in the back lot too see what type cars they work on and what the techs drive.

As far as the ignorant people that judge, don't worry about them. People are going to judge no matter what your do their opinions do not matter. Enjoy for Benz, I am sure you applied yourself and worked hard to afford it.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2015
Vehicle: 1999 E430
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
I am looking at other options, there's a guy down the road who restores old classic cars and I've been told he is very good, a little pricy but I want a correct fix, and not a "band-aid" repair.

I forget about the dealer body shop, but I know it will be very pricy and the repair could be of questionable quality. I've saw the work of the Indy guy down the road and his work is top-notch, show quality in fact.

Ill have to schedule an appointment with him for an estimate, I'm gonna discuss a new right front fender vs trying to kill the rust on the existing one.

Btw Nimrodthewombat, I got my car from a guy in Versailles, KY. We drove 6 hours to go get it on a moments notice (we got lost around Knoxville below i75 and drove around forever on 25 until we finally found it), unseen except for two internet pics. I got it on a Friday, so I had Woodford co, KY tags for a few days until the tag office was open on Monday lol.

I told my buddy who went with me that I wish I could move to KY, peoples attitudes are better than where I live, and I could tell we weren't in TN anymore just by the way traffic behaved. We also got lost on the way back, they were fixing a spot on southbound i75 and traffic was backed up for 2 miles so we tried to avoid it.... we took a very long trip that day
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 07:55 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Dec 2002
Vehicle: 2008 E 320 Bluetec (ELEGANCE) 2005 CLK500 (avant-garde)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Most of the auto body places nowadays seem to be what a good friend of mine used to say "part hangers". They don't want to do any refinishing or rust repair, they only want to put parts on and paint the replacement parts. When my W210 was lightly sideswiped last year I took it in to the insurance recommended body shop and got a call that they wanted to total the car!!! When I asked why the said, " well the front and rear bumpers have to be replaced, both wheels on that side and both front and rear door skins plus paint." I refused and took it to a good old boy shop. When the owner looked at it and told him what the other shop said he replied "BULL! The bumper covers need lightly sanded and refinished and the doors need refinished and repainted and I've got a buddy that refinishes high end alloy wheels for the Mercedes and Audi dealer." When I said I wanted to make sure they didn't use any bondo he said "On a Mercedes??? You're kidding right??"

They fixed the damage for $1,250 ( the other place wanted $4,500!) and it still looks like new!

Most places that have nice clean modern places that look like a White Castle restaurant won't do rust and they want to replace not refinish. It's the old out of the way hole in the wall body shops that have an old guy owner that goes fishing every weekend that will do you right and repair rust or anything else and they usually want to refinish not replace so it's cheaper too. The only expensive part was that he insisted on using oem Mercedes Benz paint. I admire him for that!
01blackhawk likes this.

2008 E 320 Bluetec (ELEGANCE)
2005 CLK500 Cabriolet (Avant-garde)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in