electrical problem on w210. No power window, central locking, door mirror - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 07:04 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2014
Vehicle: 1999 and 2005 E55 AMG
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
+1 on G-AMG's comment about a failing battery. When the starter engages, the battery voltage drops precipitously. This could be causing the problem if the battery installed only meets minimum specs.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2015
Vehicle: 1998 W210 E240
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hi again. This will probably be the last update. I think the problem will be solved as soon as i get to a junkyard for cars.

I tried the window motor on rear right side, and my conclusion is that it is a dead motor. i tried both plus on plus and minus on minus then vice versa, but nothing happened.

I did also another test on the battery and found out that the voltage had dropped with 1 volt. This made me see that the car doesnt charge properly.
Once i found that out, i doublechecked the generator and found out that the small cable that is connected on the generator was not connected. The little bolt that holds it on was gone too.
I think this is probably my own fault for when I fixed the starter, I also had the generator out.

It's all connected now, and i havent had a single problem since (with exception with the one connector that i dismounted from the CAN_B. The car still goes in safe mode here, but i hope its just a faulty door module that will be changed too the week).

I thank you all for the good reply you've given me.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 02:59 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1999 e300, 1999 e320 and about 12 older Mercedes cars
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
ok, 1999 e320 that i've had for about t a year. since day 1 the left rear window didn't wor, the other day the driver seat, window and side mirror all went away. 2 days later the remote locks failed. i had a used driver door module that i installed but there was no change. my question is this: if you replace the bad module do you still need to d/c the battery for a while to clear the CAN bus system? i d/c'd the battery and now everything works, as has been described, but i wanted to see if it might all stop working or not.
thanks
g
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 03:17 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Jun 2012
Vehicle: 1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1117 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mrboca
If the underlying problem is not solved, the problem will come back. The CAN bus thresholds get exceeded over time, and the SAM module disables the modules one by one.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 10:17 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Nov 2018
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had similar issues what I did was check all fuses are correct size and working also pulling fuse 2 (20amp) and 3 and replacing them.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 06:14 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jun 2011
Vehicle: 2001 E320 RWD- 2011 E350 4M
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Iím having this issue intermittently since 2013 and my battery is from 2010, yes itís been there that long. I donít have any tools to measure the voltage under the load so I run the onboard test. Turned the ignition on, without cranking go to sensor 24 and it was 11.4V, I started to crank and it went down to 8.9 to 9V, that was the lowest I caught. When the engine was running it reads 13.6 to 13.8 at idle.
I guess itís time for a new battery? I was at overseas in September and came back 3 weeks later and the car just fired up right away, for a 9 year old battery it was surprising.

Last edited by 01blackhawk; 11-05-2018 at 06:16 PM.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 06:27 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Jun 2012
Vehicle: 1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1117 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mrboca
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01blackhawk View Post
Iím having this issue intermittently since 2013 and my battery is from 2010, yes itís been there that long. I donít have any tools to measure the voltage under the load so I run the onboard test. Turned the ignition on, without cranking go to sensor 24 and it was 11.4V, I started to crank and it went down to 8.9 to 9V, that was the lowest I caught. When the engine was running it reads 13.6 to 13.8 at idle.
I guess itís time for a new battery? I was at overseas in September and came back 3 weeks later and the car just fired up right away, for a 9 year old battery it was surprising.
Have the battery checked at a local auto parts store, free of charge.

The item 24 is not a precise indication of the battery health, especially when the car is not running, or when cranking, but it appears that charging is fine.

No need to replace the battery if it is fine (after properly tested).

Clean and check the connection of the battery terminals from time to time.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 07:15 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jun 2011
Vehicle: 2001 E320 RWD- 2011 E350 4M
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Thank you Mrboca, yes terminals get cleaned at least once a year, Iíll get it checked at a local parts store, honestly Iím thinking about selling the vehicle, donít want to spend too much money or time on it, the new owner can deal with that, otherwise mechanically its in great shape, this is the only little detail bugged me past 4.5 years.
Thanks for the advice again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in