post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jun 2011
Vehicle: 2001 E320 RWD- 2011 E350 4M
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
5w30 in M112/113?

Yesterday I went to my friend's shop to rotate/balance the tires, there he comes to change his own oil my buddy's brother in law on his 2000 E320 4M wagon, I peaked and he has almost 170K on the clock. He pulled his oil and filter from the trunk and I noticed Motul 5w30. He started to work and I asked him why 5w30 and he started to going on about how great of an oil Motul is, I was like yeah I know Motul dude, indeed it is a good oil and he points out the label it is MB 229.5 approved but your viscosity is a little off, he goes that's ok as long as it is MB approved...

I'm like ok dude, it's your car it's your money, I'm not gonna tell a grown man what oil to use in his car and I walked away.

What's your folks' opinions about this, I'm just curious, afterwards I've done a search and Motul indeed makes 5w40 and IMO that would be a smarter choice than 5w30, am I wrong?

Btw, I still noticed he also uses a paper fleece filter, after all that talk ))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 01:04 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jun 2011
Vehicle: 1999 E320 Sedan
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Your friend's brother is right--it's meeting the 229.5 specification that matters. Oils meeting 229.3 are also fine (and approved) for use in the M112/M113 engines, although oils meeting the 229.5 specification (which wasn't even established until years after the M112/113 engines were designed and introduced) are slightly better and thus preferable. MB's official list of oils approved as meeting 229.5 includes many 0w30, 5w30, 0w40, and 5w40 oils. If in doubt, look up https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/index.php?language_id=1.

General recommendations about which oil viscosity to choose depending on the range of temperatures in which the car will be operated can be found in the car's manual (although they, naturally, date back to the moment of production). Note, however, that oils in one group ("5w30," for instance) still vary greatly in their performance, which, evidently, includes their viscosity at different temperatures as well as their viscosity indices. That's one reason why sticking with the MB specifications is important.

The use of (the correct) paper filters in M112/M113 running the FSS is fine (and approved), too. Synthetic filters are required, however, if you want to run these engines on extended oil change intervals, i.e. 15,000 miles instead of 10,000 miles. Nonetheless, many drivers (including me) use synthetic filters even when running the normal, 10k miles oil change interval as interpreted by the FSS. Synthetic oil filters are also required for the newer, post-2005 MB gasoline engines.
01blackhawk likes this.

Last edited by Simon_E; 09-27-2014 at 01:14 PM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 04:40 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2009
Vehicle: 87 300D 5 speed
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01blackhawk View Post
Yesterday I went to my friend's shop to rotate/balance the tires, there he comes to change his own oil my buddy's brother in law on his 2000 E320 4M wagon, I peaked and he has almost 170K on the clock. He pulled his oil and filter from the trunk and I noticed Motul 5w30. He started to work and I asked him why 5w30 and he started to going on about how great of an oil Motul is, I was like yeah I know Motul dude, indeed it is a good oil and he points out the label it is MB 229.5 approved but your viscosity is a little off, he goes that's ok as long as it is MB approved...
That very special flavor of stupid is popular around here. Pay no attention the oil weight or climate, the only thing that matter is MB approval. Sometimes I wonder if these people have daddy issues, hence their desperate need for approval. Go figure.

Triggering religious fanatics since 1969

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in