LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 95 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2013
Vehicle: 2002 Mercedes Benz E320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
mrboca - yeah ... seen that drive cycle write up. I couldn't religiously to the dot on the speed due to my location in the city, too many traffic lights . And if I step out on the free way then I couldn't really slow down to that 43 mph ...

so I said , I will just wait whenever those two monitors (catalyst and o2 sensor) will get ready .

the car drives perfectly well and no error codes at all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 95 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
just an update ... finally drive cycle is done after 580 miles and just have one not ready emission related monitor which is the Catalyst.

In GA , you are allowed one not ready monitor for +2002 vehicles so I was able to get the car pass emission tests .

Transmission shifts good in all gears and shifts like butter . Got no complain . So at 112900 miles , am glad I have decided to keep this car and find out what was wrong with the transmission on this second round of transmission malfunctioning since I bought this car 8 years back.
post #63 of 95 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 03:25 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2015
Vehicle: 2001 W210 E320
can you slowly tell me what was wrong with your transmission, I have a Delphi scanner and gear slipping implausible gear ratio code. Anything you can help me with? Transmission occasionally goes into limp mode until I restart the car. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrb View Post
just an update ... finally drive cycle is done after 580 miles and just have one not ready emission related monitor which is the Catalyst.

In GA , you are allowed one not ready monitor for +2002 vehicles so I was able to get the car pass emission tests .

Transmission shifts good in all gears and shifts like butter . Got no complain . So at 112900 miles , am glad I have decided to keep this car and find out what was wrong with the transmission on this second round of transmission malfunctioning since I bought this car 8 years back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 95 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 12:49 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2009
Vehicle: 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just adding my own experience and many, many thanks to all those who contributed here.

I started experiencing the exact same symptoms on my 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon last week: whining coming from the transmission, apparent loss of torque/drive, then complete loss of reverse first, then drive as well all over the course of a few days. Only a complete shutdown (wait for instrument cluster to go off) then restart gave me drive/restart for a short period to get it parked somewhere. The next day I needed to make a very short drive to pick something up (maybe 1-2km) and the Check Engine light came on while I noticed a lot of slippage in the drive. I drove it straight to my independent mechanic I've used for well over a decade.

The next morning I got the call that he'd read a multitude of errors (P0730, P2315, P2316, P2600, P2314, P2602, P2404, P2502, P220A), wasn't getting any pressure readings in the transmission, and along with the whining sound figured the transmission was shot (he gave me a much more detailed description of what he thought was wrong, but it went over my head). The kicker was that he didn't want to handle the job himself and recommended taking it to a few transmission shops. So he definitely wasn't looking for a big payday on the job.

After reading many, many threads on the topic (this one being the most helpful) I told him to replace the fluid and filter (since I'd never done it in the 10 years I've had the car), see what happens and pray for a hail Mary pass. I figured my next step would be conductor plate and connector and if that didn't fix things then I'd have to decide whether to keep the old workhorse.

Well, so far the hail Mary pass seems complete! The car is back to normal and driving fine. My mechanic couldn't believe it and apologized profusely for freaking me out.

I know from reading other people's experiences that this might be a bandaid fix, especially since I don't think the conductor plate and connector have ever been replaced (17 year old car with 262 000km on it), but I also got him to check the TCM for any oil leakage and he said it was clean as a whistle, so I'm keeping those fingers crossed for a few more years.

Sincere and genuine thanks again to all those who contributed here. If I hadn't come across this thread I'd be either selling a great condition car (had the body restored and repainted a few years ago and full suspension replaced this summer) or sobbing into my pillow between shots of whisky!

Thanks again!
post #65 of 95 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 03:22 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Jun 2012
Vehicle: 1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mrboca
Good to know that it was a cheap fix. Maybe your mechanic should subscribe to the forum and read these threads
MAVA and southpaw like this.
post #66 of 95 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
good to know things are going on well again with your MB

As of today , my MB is still running strong. Granted that I use it only occasionally around town maybe twice a week , I have put around 5000 miles since my last post here (Jul 2017) and everything is good so far without any signs of problem on my transmission.
post #67 of 95 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 06:55 PM
BenzWorld Member

Fault codes
Confirmed and stored codes (Mode 03)
ECU
DTC Description
P0700 Transmission Control System (MIL Request)
Pending codes in previous and current driving cycle (Mode 07)
ECU
DTC
Description
P0705 Transmission Range Sensor "A" Circuit (PRNDL Input)
P0600 Serial Communication Link

HELP!!
post #68 of 95 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 07:07 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jun 2011
Vehicle: 2001 E320 RWD- 2011 E350 4M
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Smartchoice in my opinion a combination of those codes, your TCM and Tranny itself lost the connection.
Things to do for you
1)Check your TCM for oil incursion
2)If any oil in TCM, clean it.
3)Check your pilot bushing under the car, again look for the traces of oil, replace it if leaking.
4)705 points out to shifter, anything spilled on the shifter lately? Or an open sunroof when itís raining or snowing?
All of these troubleshooting steps are well documented under the stickies area.
Good luck
Smartchoice likes this.
post #69 of 95 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 12:38 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01blackhawk View Post
Smartchoice in my opinion a combination of those codes, your TCM and Tranny itself lost the connection.
Things to do for you
1)Check your TCM for oil incursion
2)If any oil in TCM, clean it.
3)Check your pilot bushing under the car, again look for the traces of oil, replace it if leaking.
4)705 points out to shifter, anything spilled on the shifter lately? Or an open sunroof when itís raining or snowing?
All of these troubleshooting steps are well documented under the stickies area.
Good luck
after the troubleshooting technician forgot to insert the 13 pin plug before test tun.....

hence these gifts

Fault codes
Confirmed and stored codes (Mode 03)
ECU
DTC
Description
P0753
Shift Solenoid "A" Electrical
P0758
Shift Solenoid "B" Electrical
P0763
Shift Solenoid "C" Electrical
P0743
Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid Circuit Electrical
P0715
Turbine/Input Shaft Speed Sensor "A" Circuit

what do you advise?

cc mrboca
post #70 of 95 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 02:35 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jan 2017
Vehicle: 1998 E320s sedan and wagon
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Curious. I tried to start the car with the TCM disconnected. It wouldn’t start, maybe wouldn’t crank, but there were no codes when I connecteded the TCM.

Clear the module level codes then see which if any come back.

Did you follow 01blackhawk’s advice?

Sixto
98 E320s sedan and wagon
02 C320 wagon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in