LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2011
Vehicle: 2000 E320 Sedan Elegance
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Weblog: My 2000 E320 Elegance > Summer wheels om the car.

Hi there Benzworld..
Thought about making a thread about my car for as long as I had it, but since it's totally standard and it's going to stay relatively standard probably for as long as I own it I thought; why make a thread? Who would read it? Well here it is.
No big mod's, no Wide Body kits and no 20" wheels with bagged suspension. But it's nice to have a log for improvements such as repairs, new wheels, DIY's etc.

I'm basically new to Mercedes. This is my first Benz and I love it. Coming from the VAG world I was heavy into "the modding fever" and I still have a VW (aka the family wagon). It's a 2008 Golf Variant 1.4 TSI twincharger remapped to 190hp from 140hp. Otherwise standard, except for some 17" Audi RS6 wheels which I had laying around and a RNS510 Navi headunit. Good car, excellent mileage and big enough for our family of three. It's a keeper and the missus love it.

Some of the previous VAG's we've had..
2001 Audi S3 8L (remapped to 270hp, Bilstein/HR, Dahlbäck Racing intake, Forge FMIC.. God I loved that little Pocket Rocket)

2004 Audi A3 8P (Lambo replicas and Weitec suspension)

1999 VW Lupo (well bad picture and it was mostly the missus who drove it )

2003 VW Polo (mostly the missus who drove it )

2005 Audi A4 B7 (totally OEM)

2010 VW Golf 2.0 TDI 4Motion (Eibach springs and wheels)

So back to my new found taste for big, comfy and grand cars. Being a car nut I've always appreciated most Mercedes models, but I enjoyed smaller and more agile vehicles more and never really pictured my self drive a big solid Benz. But when my buddy bought a mint condition 1980 450 SLC I was sold. What a car!! I searched the web for the right Benz for me, and I would have bought a W 210 E55 AMG or a 560 SEC in a heartbeat, if it weren't that Our Economy (read: my wife) didn't agree. Having spend a lot of money on cars over the years and having an 18 month old daughter, I let the thought go. Remember cars are to-three times more expensive up in the scandinavian part of the woods

So I searched for a more reasonable 320. The day came and my E320 was a one owner when I bought it and well taken care of. There's rust several places but since it had an anti corrosion treatment at some point it's in decent shape after all. If I find the money for it, I will get the rear wheel arches fixed and put on two new fenders with fresh paint. Otherwise it's in good shape throughout. It's been serviced correctly and has as full history from the stealer.
There's been some minor things though and while some are fixed already, some still needs attention. Hence this thread and log

I'll make a list of what I've done and what I want to do in the near future.. there will be some small modding but first pictures from today.. Nikon D40 (old) and me as a photographer.. Not the best combo, but you'll get the idea..

The OK list:

Replaced two front springs. One was broken!!

Replaced both front link bars for the roll bar. There was a knocking sound from the front right area

Replaced transmission fluid as it never was changed. Car had 123000kms on the odometer so it was due.

Reset the tranny as per instructions found here. I love those "hidden" easter eggs.
Read the fault codes. Several minor errors and also something about fuel trim left side or something. The car behaved good so I wasn't too worried.

Bought a new OE Bosch MAF. I cleaned the old one as the engine never really felt like it had 224hp.. and my mech told me that the fault codes could be related to the MAF. It wasn't too bad, but it wasn't strong in the upper rev range. It helped nothing to clean it. There were most annoyingly a strange problem with the tranny which couldn't decide what to do under WOT. Very undecisive and jerky. With the new MAF that problem went away, the engine felt 10 times stronger and the mileage improved like 10-20%. Best 150$ I've spend in a long time.

Flushed the PSF as per the routine found here. I had the "squeaky steering" problem and it is gone now. Could be the weather or the flush could have cured it? If it returns I'll flush again and add the Lubrisol I bought.

Bought some OE decals for the trunk lid. Someone put fake decals there after repaint maybe..fixed now!

Bought new rubber mats. Not OE but remarkable good quality given the price.

Bought new Philips D2r xenon bulbs. I couldn't see nothing at night..

Bought new LED DRL bulbs. The old yellow just stood out too much for my vanity to cope with..

Added fuel additives to clean up the fuel system. Difficult to know exactly if it did any good as I did it when replacing the MAF.

Bought new used OE 17x8.5" SL wheels. Decided not to keep them as I'm afraid I will get to much tire stretch with 235/45s.. and I don't like that unless the car is lowered and I would have had to buy lugs for roughly 100$ in addition SOLD

Bought new used W210 sport 17x7.5" wheels. Similar to these:

Cleaned the leather seats with leather cleaner, a soft brush and microfibre cloths. Man, 13 years of grime is nasty. The previous owner were an old man and I bet he never did anything to clean those seats. Rear seats were never sat in I think. Absolutely like new.

Bought a new rear bumper impact strip Crashed with my neighbors BMW.. I can't stand dents, scratches or faulty paint so..

Service A.[I] 08.04.13 OK

Brake fluid change, radiator coolant flush, Climate service/leak test, Climate cleaning. OK

Replaced the window wiper.

Bought new tires. 235/45-17 Pirelli P7 Cintauro

Work in Progress > Glass/Walnut blasted & Powder coat OE 17" Sport wheels. Chrome-Silver-ish

Replaced brake pedal connector No BAS/ESP warning lights for a week now.. well it popped right back up. Hmm.. Lateral Accelration Sensor?

Bought a OE repair kit for the park light. Time to get rid og that "Lamp defective" warning sign..

Powder coated wheels and new fresh rubber mounted Sweet! These Pirelli tires are definitely the most quit tires I've ever had on any of my cars!!

The to do list:

Paint calipers and hubs silver Having a more open designed wheel coming I have to freshen things up a little.. sandpaper, Hammerite Smooth Silver and a fine brush will help.

Replace the multibelt, tensioner and idle wheel It's the old one.. I guess this has top priority.

Find out why the rear right brakes squeal every time I apply the brakes when reversing. I've taken out the pads and cleaned the calipers as much as I could and at the same time I applied a fair amount of copper paste to the pads while I was at it.. but no luck there.

Replace the climate fan control unit It's hissing and making strange sounds.. otherwise fine. This has been reduced to almost nothing after beeing pressure tested, drained and filled up again.

Replace engine mounts to eliminate any vibrations from the driveline There's some vibrations from the driveline, but it's not annoying atm.

Have a look at the flex discs and replace if there's cracks or other defects No clunking or other noises present, but I'd rather replace now than wear on pther parts that are connected to the discs.

Replace 3 parking sensors. To get a fully functioning parktronic without the random beep noises.

The not so realistic but nice to have list:

Tinted windows all round. 3M smoked tint.. just enough to give me that privacy look..

Get some rust removed. I think I found (one of) the best W210 on the market rust wise, but rust is still creeping up everywhere. Especially the rear wheel arches are rusty. Snow and salt.. gotta love it.

Re trim the interior with some 3M Di-Noc carbon fibre vinyl. Wooden interiors belongs on boats, in saloons or in British Racing Green painted sports car with tanned interior.. or something. I'm used to it by now, but I know the interior would look MUCH better without it..

Do the X-Pipe and resonator delete. The smooth V6 engine should be slightly louder under WOT.

Soooo... that's me and my W210. Thanks for reading! I'm not saying my car is anything special but it is mine and I love to drive it. I will update the thread every time something is done or new plans emerge and post pictures 'cause we all love that right?

Please feel free to give me advice or feedback in any way and at the same time I wish to thank you for learning me the little knowledge I have gathered about the Mercedes Benz brand.. This forum is the best car forum I have ever come across so cudos to you!

Thanks guys!!!!
gring likes this.

Das beste oder nichts

Last edited by Don Miller; 04-27-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
The PSF flush..

Here you can see what it looked like when I pumped the fluid out.. It was black!

I bought a cheap big syrenge type of pump and replaced nearly 2 litres.. I basically followed the DIY routine found in the stickies.
The noise that initiated me doing this (I would have done anyway had I known the PSF was so worn but I had no idea..):

Das beste oder nichts
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 08:39 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 98 320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I need to start a list like what you have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 11:04 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Sep 2012
Vehicle: 2000 Merc. E320 4matic Wagon 210.282 Desert Silver
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey Norsk!

Nice cars! I had a few fun ones in my day. Now that I have a wife and kids, I avoided the dreaded american soccer mom car by getting the e320 4matic wagon. The 4wd on this thing is awesome in the mountain snow of Montana.

Skål!

Ethanol is the devil.
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by illest View Post
I need to start a list like what you have.
It's nice to have to do lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by magna steyr 210.282 View Post
Hey Norsk!

Nice cars! I had a few fun ones in my day. Now that I have a wife and kids, I avoided the dreaded american soccer mom car by getting the e320 4matic wagon. The 4wd on this thing is awesome in the mountain snow of Montana.

Skål!
Hei and Skål

Living in Norway I've apreciated the cars I've had with 4wd but there wasn't one for sale when I bought mine. Actually I still haven't seen a E320 4wd for sale in Norway.. not sedan anyways.

Das beste oder nichts
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
F*************CK

I reversed into my neighbours BMW M5 this morning

Kid crying, me too late out for kindergarden and deep grooves in the snow I KNOW I'm supposed to avoid.. Bang!!

Smashed his right side fender, the front bumper cracked and possibly the headlight.. to hard to see with a thick layer of frost covering the lamp..

The W210 got some minor scratches in the rear bumper and a cut or hole in the protection strip drivers side..

Pictures tonite..

Das beste oder nichts
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Got home from work to talk to the neighbor who was in good spirit.. His M5 isn't going anywhere anyhow because it turned out that the guy he bought it from didn't provide the right approved import documents. It's all turned into a court room case and maybe he will have to return it to the seller?
Turns out the headlight took a beating too..

So fender, HID headlight, frontbumper, headlight washer jets and maybe some stuff behind the headlight?

And my car? Well it survived.. As a matter of fact only the left rear impact strip on the bumper took a beating..

I'm calling the insurance company tomorrow..

Das beste oder nichts
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 11:40 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Sep 2012
Vehicle: 2000 Merc. E320 4matic Wagon 210.282 Desert Silver
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Uff-da!

At least it was a murdered out russian job M5 instead of a beautiful stock legit M5!

Nice to know your vehicle is a tank right?

Hope all goes well. At least you know how to fix it and can probably fix his car to make it look like it did before he got scammed.

Sorry this happened to you . Watch out! Bad things happen in three!

Good luck!

p.s. it's rumor that norway has 2 E55 4matic wagons and Sweden has 1. Find it for me!

Ethanol is the devil.
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by magna steyr 210.282 View Post
Uff-da!

At least it was a murdered out russian job M5 instead of a beautiful stock legit M5!

Nice to know your vehicle is a tank right?

Hope all goes well. At least you know how to fix it and can probably fix his car to make it look like it did before he got scammed.

Sorry this happened to you . Watch out! Bad things happen in three!

Good luck!

p.s. it's rumor that norway has 2 E55 4matic wagons and Sweden has 1. Find it for me!
Yeah a big uff da Well the Beemer isn't well maintained or even original, but in this case it doesn't matter. I'm letting the insurance company sort it out for us..

I know of one E55 4matic wagon for sale.. They claim that they just sold the only one in Norway and that they just found this in Switzerland. Can't be many of those in the world?
Divide the price with 5.8 or there about and you'll see what crazy prices we have up here.

Mercedes-Benz E-Klasse E 55 AMG 4 matic 2001, 134*400 km, kr

It looks mint and I would love to buy it. What a fine wagon!

Edit: rumored to be the one with lowest km's of the 7 that were produced!!
gring likes this.

Das beste oder nichts

Last edited by Don Miller; 03-12-2013 at 11:58 AM.
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
eBay provided once again.. New left rear impact strip secured

I bought off a guy who had loads of Benz parts and paid £120 incuding shipping ($181.5). Felt like a bargain compaired to the other options I had on hand

So now it's a matter of getting the old strip removed without destroying the bumper!! After Easter break I will have a go at it! Looks like a straght forward job though so I'm not to worried.
Pic's of the new and factory painted Atlas Grey bumper impact strip..

Das beste oder nichts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in