Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

My European Bumper Strip Quest May Be At An End!

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Kajtek1 
#1 ·
Black New Bumper Trim Front MB E Class 2108850121 Mercedes Benz E320 99 98 Car | eBay

eBay local to the US is bearing some fruit.

As I've noted elsewhere, I wish to change my front bumper from this:

to this (roughly)

using something like this:

The top one is mine, the second is stock, and the third image is an aftermarket bumper strip I can get off of eBay no problem.

My only concern is "aftermarket". While I know my mechanic can do his best to fit, I'm still concerned that it's an aftermarket part. OEM of this strip is hard to find in the US (saw one auction and it went away fast) and it's a battle for Europe due to language barriers and vague descriptions and import fees.

And obviously I know this part will need to be painted. That's fine.

Basically, I'm just wondering if it's an OK thing to do. I always do OEM, but I'm thinking I can "flex" a little on a cosmetic component...

See less See more
#3 ·
Pre facelift euro bumper strip is not hard to find at all, the real question is, what will you do about the us bumper strip lights? Just unplugging them will cause a fault code in your dash. I took mine and hooked them up to euro repeater lights I put in my fenders, but they were always on with my lights that way.

#4 ·
I found and purchased an OEM one on eBay today. Surprisingly it was in the US. It's the wrong color but my indie mechanic said he can easily match the color for me.

As for the side markers, my solution is to get LED replacements (to avoid having to go through heroics to replace the halogens when they burn out) and just have them hidden.

I would have just gone "naked", however, I'm the second owner of the vehicle. The first owner was in a jurisdiction (California) where a front and rear plate were required. I live in in Florida where only a rear plate is required. Thus, a "naked" front on this vehicle has ugly drill marks and is noticeably lighter than the rest of the strip.

So, a new strip is in order. And yeah, I do kind of like the Euro plate when it meshes nicely with the bumper, haha.

I'll post photos when the install is done in a few weeks.

#5 ·
Do you have German roots to install German plate?
I was born Polish and even marking the car with PL was a trend in early years, I don't care about it anymore, neither most of my Polish friends.
While it is personal taste, owners in California hate front plates no matter US, or European. Lot of Porsche owners, as much as sport Mercedes owners take their chances and drive with color-matched plugs where the plates screw when they get a ticket.

#7 ·
...While it is personal taste, owners in California hate front plates no matter US, or European. Lot of Porsche owners, as much as sport Mercedes owners take their chances and drive with color-matched plugs where the plates screw when they get a ticket.
Kajtek:

Does California now require front plates ?

I grew up there, but left in 2007 - pre that date I don't think they did.

Texas does. Can't do Front vanity plates here...

Boo-Hoo

One of the few things I don't like about Texas...

Thanks David

#8 ·
Yup, they do. Front and rear plates mandated on all vehicles except motorcycles and semi trucks, plus a few odd speciality vehicles.

I got me the classic black California vanity plate on both front and rear. Looks nice.

#9 ·
Commercial trucks in CA do require front plates as that is where the registration stickers go.
Nevada does require front plates as well, but I see like 1/3 cars in Vegas not having them.
So when I got my W212 with no front holes, I put the plate in trunk....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.