post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Feb 2012
Vehicle: E420 1997
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Becker Radio Volume Control

I believe I have found the encoder! I have ordered one from Mouser and will let everyone know when it arrives and I get it installed. It was $1.69 plus $5 shipping.

Mouser #: 858-EN11-HSB1AQ15
Mfr. #: EN11-HSB1AQ15
Desc.: Encoders 11mm Rotary Incremental Encoder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 01:58 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
Location: Sacramento, California & El Dorado Hills, California, USA
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1255 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Hey daddy,

Great find, If you do not mined, snap a few pictures of the part when it arrives, and post them here.

Thank you,

Martin
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 02:23 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2013
Vehicle: 97 E420
Was looking around the forum and found a thread about squirting some contact cleaner into the volume control. It works. Got it at oriellys for $8

Pull the knob off. pull the plate that covers the volume control from the bottom. (did it with my fingernail. came right off). Spray some contact cleaner between the volume shaft and the body and turn the knob. place a paper towel under the shaft for drips. Do a couple of times and the volume is like new!

Took about 30 seconds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 03:40 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2007
Vehicle: 1990 Mercedes-Benz 420 SEL(RIP),1997 Mercedes-Benz E420
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMHuge View Post
Was looking around the forum and found a thread about squirting some contact cleaner into the volume control. It works. Got it at oriellys for $8

Pull the knob off. pull the plate that covers the volume control from the bottom. (did it with my fingernail. came right off). Spray some contact cleaner between the volume shaft and the body and turn the knob. place a paper towel under the shaft for drips. Do a couple of times and the volume is like new!

Took about 30 seconds
I have some CRC electric cleaner laying around...I wanna try this out. Unplugging the battery as a precaution. Thanks for the tip.
southpaw likes this.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 09:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 97 E-420 (180K miles), 97 SL500, (93K miles) 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD CC/SB/4x4 Duramax(55K)
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMHuge View Post

Took about 30 seconds
yes, this works, but for me it was only temporary. a few months later it's back to it's old ways. I think a new encoder is probably the only sure fire solution.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--------His------------Hers-------

97 SL500 Imperial Red
/Parchment Leather/Black Top

Chromed OEM wheels, Akebono's, H1+90 fog, Burlwood/Leather shift knob, Rostra Lumbar support, Check seat heaters, Bilstein's, Parrot Bluetooth, GG Bailey Custom cargo mat, GG Bailey trunk mat, Real Burlwood Instrument Cluster w Chrome rings, Burlwood & Chrome shift surround, Euro headlights with Osram 70W/65W H-4's, clear corners, Silverstar corner lamps, Euro Trunk mount Warning triangle, SL600 Burlwood armrest trim & Burlwood cupholder sliding cover, Kahtec flashing third brake light (CHMSL)

97 E420 Royal Indigo/Grey Leather

Raintracker wiper, Rostra Lumbar support, Parrott Bluetooth, 17" chrome AMG replica wheels, Bilstein's, Akebono's, smoked marker lights, Osram 65W H7's, H1+90 fog, Rear Seat Child restraint Tether, Burlwood/Leather shift knob, OEM Mudflaps, DRL's, Becker Aux input
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

(Thread Starter)
It WORKS!

Finally got around to installing this and glad to say it works!

However, a couple things not ideal.

First, the shaft is 5 mm too long so the volume knob sticks out 5 mm more. This could be easily taken care of with a dremel.

Second, the volume works backwards. I will live with this but there may be a solution (although I'm not going to investigate signal "A" vs "B" lag/lead re-wiring at this time).

With that said, an ideal part number, if it existed, would be;

EN11-HSB3AQ10

per spec sheet;

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/414/en11-6592.pdf

This would change the cw/ccw volume adjust and decrease shaft length by 5 mm.

I'm going to live with it because it works just fine changing the volume. But if I was to do it again, I might cut the shaft and figure out changing the "A" and "B" signal...which shouldn't be hard at all really...just not worth my time atm

Here's some pics. Removing the radio is explained else where and not covered. Soldering skills are also not covered.

Ok, first here is the new and old (removed) encoder.

The top cover of the radio is just snapped in place, so just pop it off (no picture).

You have to significantly loosen this screw (red circled) on the bottom as it secures a ground spade lug to the front panel circuit board.

ATTENTION CARE MUST BE TAKING WHEN RE-INSTALLING THE FRONT PANEL TO MAKE SURE THE GROUND LUG IS SANDWICHED BETWEEN THE CASE AND FRAME.

Here is the front panel removed. It snaps in/out once the top cover is removed and bottom chassis screw is loosened. You then must remove the 3 torx screws and twist the mechanical tabs (circled red). The 7 black circles are the encoder which must be desoldered. Note the ground lug bottom middle I mentioned earlier.

New encoder installed.

ATTENTION CARE MUST BE TAKING WHEN RE-INSTALLING THE FRONT PANEL TO MAKE SURE THE GROUND LUG IS SANDWICHED BETWEEN THE CASE AND FRAME.

A very easy job actually and would be perfect if the exact encoder can be found. Hopefully this will help others and maybe someone can find the exact replacement.

Now to find a knob........(becker doesn't have them anymore and $35 on ebay!)

Last edited by ddaddy; 02-24-2013 at 07:34 PM.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 07:45 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
Location: Sacramento, California & El Dorado Hills, California, USA
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1255 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Daddy,

Thank you for the pictures. and the notes on it.

Martin
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

(Thread Starter)
Thank you for the reference Raymond, it's still working perfect btw (albeit backwards).

By all means clean it first, I did but the consensus is it won't last, mine didn't.

If you're not handy with a soldering iron, you can send it off to several places to be fixed.

But if you have soldered much, it's really a piece of cake

Happy Easter,
Ken
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 08:29 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2013
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hopefully someone will get it pretty soon.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 10:13 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Sep 2010
Vehicle: 1996 S500 Coupe, 1997 E300
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Updates to disassembly process

DDaddy - This is awesome! I hated to be held hostage to beckerradiorepair.com over a $2 part. Thx for posting the details on the encoder. I ordered one for each of my becker1492 radios. I also ordered a Bourns encoder to see if that might work as an alternative with proper directionality and stem length.

A few updates to your process.

1. The 8 "tabs" on the back of the faceplace electronic card do not need to be messed with - they secure the LCD frame. Only the 3 torx screws need to be removed.

2. To pull off the face place, it was easier after taking the 2 torx screws off the top front corners of the radio case so one can spread the case - the lock-tabs on the side were difficult to push in enough to allow the face place to come out easily.

3. With the confidence that a replacement encoder could be procurred, I took the top off the faulty encoder to see if I could clean & repair it. I cleaned it up and reassembled it and that solved the problem for now..but I have the replacement encoders as backup if it fails again soon. I wouldn't have taken this risk if I didn't have a backup plan.

Hats off to you my friend!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in