LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2012
Vehicle: 1996 E300D
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Effort to swap out climate control head unit a FAILURE.

I'm trying to swap out a climate control head unit in a 1996 E300 (W210) using removal tools I bought along with the head unit. One removal tool engaged in the tool slot on the left, and the left side of the unit is sliding out as expected; however, the other removal tool will NOT engage in the tool slot on the right no matter what I do, and as a result, the right side of the unit will not budge. I also removed the right AUTO button to give the removal tool more wiggle room in the tool slot, but that didn't work.

I even removed the radio/CD player head unit below the climate control head unit and stuck my hand into the dash to try to push out the climate control head unit, but that right side still won't budge for anything.

The video below shows my effort to remove the climate control head unit with no success. (You can see the exposed white facing on the right side where I removed the AUTO button to make things easier.)

Anyone got any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 10:18 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Feb 2012
Vehicle: E420 1997
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Good eye Thornley! I sand corrected :facepalm

Last edited by ddaddy; 12-01-2012 at 11:48 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 10:21 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Vehicle: 2002 E430 Base
You are putting the tool in wrong. The blade part(curved) should face in towards the center of the CC unit. The straight edge should be facing to the outside of the unit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Stolzer Inhaber eines
2002 E430
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 10:25 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Image of removal tools.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	482534  

Stolzer Inhaber eines
2002 E430
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornleydf View Post
You are putting the tool in wrong. The blade part(curved) should face in towards the center of the CC unit. The straight edge should be facing to the outside of the unit.
Yes, you're absolutely right! I figured I could be putting it in the wrong way, so I tried it both ways before I created this thread, and it made no difference; it still wouldn't engage.

What I ended up doing after creating this thread was removing that white facing you saw in the video to expose virtually the whole mechanism in question and have a clear view of what was happening when I inserted the tool into the tool slot (the correct way). I saw that all that was happening was that the tip of the tool was just pushing against the flat metal of the mechanism with no engagement and little movement of the mechanism itself. At that point, I just gave up on using the tool in the conventional way and removed it from the tool slot and went above the slot into the big open space where that white facing was and used the tip of the tool to hook an upper part of the mechanism and pull it in medially (toward the center of the head unit) and was able to get it released! (Please see the pictures at the bottom of this post.)

In the end, despite my video demonstration of my effort putting the tool in the wrong way, it seems that what I was dealing with was a defective mechanism on the right side, as it wouldn't work even when I inserted the tool in the correct way and even after I was able to remove the head unit and try that tool and the other tool in that slot to see again if it would work.

It was frustrating, but at least now I know how to remove these factory head units when these mechanisms don't work. I was afraid I was going to have to remove the "wood" paneling, which is way above my current paygrade!

Thanks for your feedback, guys!

Last edited by mehadeyis; 12-02-2012 at 01:18 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
^edited so that photos would automatically display on thread
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 02:18 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehadeyis View Post
^edited so that photos would automatically display on thread
Yea, I figured you may have already tried changing the way the tool went in, just thought I would chime in just in case. Thanks for posting the photos, and the steps for releasing the unit, I may have the same issue with my radio, and if that's the case I hope the mechanism is similar. I will keep the photos filed away just in case.

Stolzer Inhaber eines
2002 E430
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in