Need to replace transfer case. Should I use salvage transfer case? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2011
Vehicle: 99 E320 4matic wagon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Need to replace transfer case. Should I use salvage transfer case?

Went to my mechanic today to track down a vibration noise. He put the ears on the car and isolated the transfer case and also said it was leaking. The car has 110,000 miles on it. I only drive 6000 miles per year. Any recommendations on replacing with a salvage transfer case vs. new? Any place that sells good used or re-manufactured transfer cases? Please help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 04:58 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 2002 E320 4MATIC
How bad is the transfer case leaking? I had my fluid pulled and replaced for around $100. It is leaking, and I just plan on replacing the fluid every 2 years (recommendation of my mechanic and others). It is much cheaper than replacing/repairing the transfer case. Could probably have done it myself, but for what they charged it was worth it.

I am not an expert, but I would imagine it may make noise/vibrate from being low on fluid.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Not certain how much it is leaking but I do not notice any fluid on the garage floor. The problem I notice is vibration at 40mph to 60mph. A harmonic hum/vibration is noted at around 55mph that is a slow wha, wha, wha, wha. New tire and alignment did not change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 07:33 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: 2000 E430 4Matic, 2007 R320 CDI, 2012 E63 P30, 2013 SLK250
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Filling my TC resolved the exact harmonic vibration you mentioned. I also have a slow leak from the TC. I just filled mine at 170k miles. Judging from how tight the plug was on, I seem to be the first one to crack it open. However, I know getting to the plug is more difficult on the wagon.
-Robert
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucelli View Post
Filling my TC resolved the exact harmonic vibration you mentioned. I also have a slow leak from the TC. I just filled mine at 170k miles. Judging from how tight the plug was on, I seem to be the first one to crack it open. However, I know getting to the plug is more difficult on the wagon.
-Robert
Did the harmonic vibration go away immediately or did it take a while with the new fluid in the transfer case? I just had mine changed today but no immediate change in the noise that I am suffering from.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 03:54 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

the bulk of it went away right after I filled it. However, there is still a very small hint of it. I assume it is from the front tire wear which resulted in the TC not being filled.
Also adding that I had been searching for the cause of this vibration for a while, but all the obvious things were ok (ie. wheel bearing, ball joints, control arm bushings...) Brand new tires and balance did not resolve either. Like you, mine also is most obvious between 40-60 MPH.
-Robert
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 01:28 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2009
Vehicle: 2000 E430 4-Matic
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucelli View Post
the bulk of it went away right after I filled it. However, there is still a very small hint of it. I assume it is from the front tire wear which resulted in the TC not being filled.
Also adding that I had been searching for the cause of this vibration for a while, but all the obvious things were ok (ie. wheel bearing, ball joints, control arm bushings...) Brand new tires and balance did not resolve either. Like you, mine also is most obvious between 40-60 MPH.
-Robert
Any luck with the vibration? I have the same thing and it's been a tricky problem. I'm putting on new drive axles this weekend. Do you feel the vibration in the steering wheel? I do. Do you have original wheels? Does the vibration almost disappear as you go above say 70.

Thanks
David

Things fixed so far with the help of BenzWorld on my W210:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rear Window regulator

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Blower Regulator

Headlamp lo-beam bulb
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
No changes in vibration with change of fluid in TC. The last time I was at the MB dealer that discovered vibration of drive shaft but did not tear car apart to evaluate center bearing or if out of balance. They also noted a vibration in the right wheel. Maybe bearing as tire has been balanced. The vibration is noted in the steering wheel at about 40mph.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 07:11 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2014
Vehicle: 1999 E320
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Look for used parts on car-parts.com they are a network that auto dismanters nationwide subscribe to list parts available. If you get a used case consider replacing the seals before installing.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 08:20 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpompian View Post
Any luck with the vibration? I have the same thing and it's been a tricky problem. I'm putting on new drive axles this weekend. Do you feel the vibration in the steering wheel? I do. Do you have original wheels? Does the vibration almost disappear as you go above say 70.

Thanks
David
No, it still exists. I can't figure it out. It doesn't seem to be consistent. Sometimes it appears at a certain speed, other times it seems to be very smooth.
I have the original wheels. It is hard to pinpoint where it is coming from. You could certainly feel it in the steering wheel. Sometimes I don't feel it at all from 70-100mph, but sometimes I do. It seems most obvious around 60-65.

Please let us know how the new axles work out. I've heard some talk of high mileage axles developing a bit of play which could cause this, but I don't know if there is any truth to that..

-Robert

Last edited by chucelli; 03-21-2014 at 08:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in