post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz 1998 E320 - 160,000 Miles Strong
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Err, I think I got a Lemon

Well I bought my mom a 1998 E320 and I knew this car needed fixing but now by the time I finish fixing one thing I find another thing wrong. I held off on posting for a long time and search has been my only friend here since now. So I come to you now needing some feedback. Heres my list of problems.

1.) First the brake pedal goes to the floor before and after I replaced the front rotors and pads so I tried to bleed the brakes starting from the passenger rear to the drivers rear then pass front then drivers front pumped the pedal to get it firm drove around the block.... and nothing...the brakes are still as lousy as they were when I got the thing. I called the Stealership and they said it could be a bad master cylinder (beats me).

2.) I opened the radiator cap and found green algae in the res tank (so I thought). I flushed it out with hose water until clean water came out of the coolant drain plug outlet. Then I filled her up with water bought some prestone cleaner drove lightly around acouple days and the green milkshake came back as if to taunt me and tell me thought you got rid of me Muhahhaha ,nice try but nothings that easy!

3.) The shifter wouldn't stay in P or in R i'd have to go down to Drive then back up to P for it to engage same for Reverse. The day I bought it my mom drove it on the freeway and it popped from Drive to Neutral by itself ... WTF!!! I did the Shifter bushing Check and discovered that I had no bushing so I bought it and installed it so far its been ok to park and reverse, However the shifter is hard to move from Drive to 4 and sometimes it doesn't quite catch the D gear and makes this horrible whine sound...grrr

4.) The engine leaks from the front near or around the oil filter and the back I can't really tell. I was thinking of putting some UV dye in the oil to see where it leaks from but now I think i'll just save some time and let the car just swallow me hole or let the exhaust fumes take me away to the special place.

Help..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 03:46 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2009
Vehicle: 2005 W215 CL500
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
You have a few problems yes...but your diagnosis is a little suspect. A sinking pedal would not be caused by worn pads...a worn master cylinder yes.

The rest... someone will be along soon.

2005:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 04:30 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 1999 E300 Turbodiesel
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
All MB dealers offer a FREE 32 or 64 or maybe it's 128 point new owner general mechanical inspection. I would arrange for the car to be inspected by MB.

They come back with a list of the good bad and the ugly, but you at least have a good idea of the general condition, however they do not STAR check the engine, tranny or body codes. That's very extra.

Also don't forget to register with MBUSA for the free road side assistance and general help line. It worked for me. I was amazed!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 06:32 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 88 560SL - 01 C240 - 02 E320 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
I would not drive the car until the brakes are looked at - A bad master cylinder will certainly do this and you have no brakes!

I don't think it is algae -- maybe oil ? could be leaking or it may have leaked before and it was not all cleaned out.

The oil leak can be any number of seals - you need to take it and have it looked over. The car is now + 13 years old -- anything can go wrong.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 07:00 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 1997 E320, 1997 S320
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i don't think you got a lemon, what you have is a used 13 year old car. regarding brake master cylinder being the cause of very soft brakes the dealership is right, if you bled the system correctly and there is no air trapped in the system than most likely it is a bad master cylinder. bmaparts has it for around $100, which is not bad.
regarding the cooling system, i don;t think you are supposed to drive for days with the prestone flush cleaner in it, if i'm not wrong if it's "prestone cleaner flush" than you need to run it with water for only 15-20min, and if it is just "prestone cleaner", not flush, than you need to run it with water for only 2 hours. so you driving it for days instead of 20min might explain the milkshake you saw. i would completely drain all of the water with cleaner in it, flush good with water hose for a little bit, than run it with just water a few days, drain, flush again with water, than refill with 50/50 mb approved coolant.
regarding tranny, can't tell you much regarding moving from D to 4, but i wouldn't move it back and forth until you have an idea what's wrong. i'm sure someone from here will help you with that. also you might consider replacing tranny fluid/filter if it hasn't been done in the last 40k miles/3 years.
the leak from around the oil filter could be as easy as an o-ring not installed properly. start with removing the filter cap and seeing if it has the o-ring in place. also don't overtighten when putting back.
and don't forget that a car that did cost close to $60k 13 years ago won't be trouble free 13 years later. you can make things a lot cheaper if you do most of the work yourself.
good luck
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 05:47 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2010
Vehicle: 2007 E320 Bluetec, 2008 320ML CDI
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Spadwaller,

Let us know some more info on the car like 'how many miles on the ODO'.
Completing your profile in the USER CP is an easy way.

On the face of what you are reporting, the car has a fair amount of miles.

Do you have an idea of it's history?

Skippy
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkippyJasper View Post
Spadwaller,

Let us know some more info on the car like 'how many miles on the ODO'.
Completing your profile in the USER CP is an easy way.

On the face of what you are reporting, the car has a fair amount of miles.

Do you have an idea of it's history?

Skippy
I Hope I updated my CP correctly.

Where O where to begin ..

Lets start with the coolant. It's lightly murky with slight green hue to it with little black dots on top of it. I flushed it with hose water for 2 1/2 hours with the engine off until it ran clear or semi clear rather. I also took off the oil cooler thinking maybe oil cooler cracked inside and was mixing with the coolant (i dunno is this even possible)? No foam on the top of the oil cap, oil level seems a quart down but computer says its fine ( no change since I bought the vehicle last week. What are the chances of a Blown Head Gasket here?

Any advice or suggestions are appreciated (please no criticism as my ego is very fragile to begin with) , I just need to bounce ideas off someone here. Thanks
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 10:40 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 1997 E320, 1997 S320
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
first i would take the reservoir out and clean it really good with some detergent and hot water. then i would put it back and drive the car with just water in cooling system for about a week. if it's still dirty, i would clean the system with some dishwasher detergent like cascade. my mechanic friend says he has used cascade dishwasher detergent (not regular detergent since it will form too many bubbles, whereas dishwasher detergent doesn't) for years with great results. dissolve 3-4 cups of the cascade detergent in a gallon of distilled water, add that to the system and then fill the rest of the system with water. run the car for 10 min then drain it, and flush it with a water hose for a few minutes. then fill it up with just water and run the car like that for a few days, then drain and fill with approved coolant/water 50/50. zerex g05 is an approved mb coolant, and can be found for $12-15/gallon in concentrated version, or you can buy from dealer for over $20/gallon.
i don't think you have a blown head gasket. i would just change the oil/filter and not worry about engine. you can do 10-12k mile oci with an mb approved synthetic oil and fleece oil filter. seems mobil1 0w40 can be easily found at any autoparts store, and some of them have it on sale every now and then. you can find good instructions from gregg on w210 diy section.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Heres some pics. I also noticed water coming out of the muffler and this "lime scale" build up around the t-stat. I gotta say this looks like a BHG to me

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Anyone got a m112 head gasket DIY or a something so i can tackle this Head gasket problem myself? Im outta money but got plenty of time. Please Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in