Forum Administrator
RC Colas® & Moon Pies®

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2005 S500 116K
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2245 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
My entire unit lights up only sporadically when the car's lights are on. Most of the time, none of the buttons nor the main display are lit but every now and then, I look down and all of the buttons are fully lit and the display is glowing nicely. Then I turn the lights off and they don't come back on the next time. Banging on various points of the dash helps maybe one time out of twenty.

Would an added ground wire make a difference? Maybe just unplug and replug the two connectors?

I'd like to go in with a plan instead of just thrashing around in there.

BTW, this guy shows how to do it. He's got an astounding number of videos for a 202 which carries over to the 210 in a lot of cases.

Here's how he made his removal keys. I saw another guy who used the blade from one of those small Swiss Army knives.
Oops... Tool/key to pull out radio unit from central dashboard console.

Also handy...

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 05:12 PM
Forum Administrator
RC Colas® & Moon Pies®

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2005 S500 116K
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2245 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by loubapache View Post
Just to update this thread with the Mercedes part number for the bulb: 002 544 02 94

Sylvania 2721 also works.
Thanks for this post.

Turned out to be the bulb after all. Two pack from the Autozone down the street for five and change. The bulb looked fine. The lesson here is to always go for the obvious first.
Attached Images

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
post #43 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 07:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Dec 2002
Vehicle: 2008 E 320 Bluetec (ELEGANCE) 2005 CLK500 (avant-garde)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Did anyone figure out how to brighten the screen light in the ACC?

2008 E 320 Bluetec (ELEGANCE)
2005 CLK500 Cabriolet (Avant-garde)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 09:01 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: May 2015
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a 1997 E320. Dealer told me I can't replace bulb in climate control unit with my VIN number. Is this true?
post #45 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 08:23 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jun 2015
Vehicle: 2001 E320 4Matic Sedan
Sylvania 74 will work also....can purchase in 2pk at walmart. Slightly bigger base than the 2721 but WILL work and IS working in my climate control unit (2001 E320 W210)
post #46 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 11:30 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2008
Vehicle: 2001 E430 Sport 36K, Brilliant Silver / Charcoal 2002 E320 sedan / 41K sold, 1999 CLK 320 33K sold
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Garage
When I had this issue I found that after replacing a bulb it still did not work.
It occurred to me to rotate the holder while the headlight switch was turned on.
This allowed me to find a position that made the bulb get proper contact and it was NOT
in the fully seated position as one might think...
Digmenow likes this.
post #47 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 12:14 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2016
Question No power to bulb...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauipaul View Post
When I had this issue I found that after replacing a bulb it still did not work.
It occurred to me to rotate the holder while the headlight switch was turned on.
This allowed me to find a position that made the bulb get proper contact and it was NOT in the fully seated position as one might think...
----
Hi all,
I have had my Aircon center console light stop working last night... after I fiddled with the blower behind and under the glovebox.
However, it is not the light bulb, and checking the bulb seat round tracks on the printed circuit board there is no voltage.
Everything else is working. Anyone had this problem?

I tried to find the pins on the two connectors that would be continuous to the bulb power tracks, but could not find it (circuit board is several layers and very small tracks... impossible to follow from the bulb to the connector plugs.
Anyone know which pins on the Control plug are for the illuminations? maybe I can follow from there? Or just feed the bulb separately.

Thanks.
post #48 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 05:37 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2012
Vehicle: 1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 1189 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mrboca
The illumination for the a/c clima unit is controlled by a command from the instrument cluster through interface K1.

From the sensor display menu on the a/c unit display (Pressing REST for more than 5 seconds with a/c unit in AUTO mode).. Increment to item 23 which shows the percentage battery voltage for the illumination. If zero, it is off, and 99 is the max.

Also check the error codes with the diagnostic menu. The b1422 error code indicates a problem with the K1 interface through the illumination level information is supplied.
post #49 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016, 02:33 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboca View Post
The illumination for the a/c clima unit is controlled by a command from the instrument cluster through interface K1.

From the sensor display menu on the a/c unit display (Pressing REST for more than 5 seconds with a/c unit in AUTO mode).. Increment to item 23 which shows the percentage battery voltage for the illumination. If zero, it is off, and 99 is the max.

Also check the error codes with the diagnostic menu. The b1422 error code indicates a problem with the K1 interface through the illumination level information is supplied.
Thanks Boca.
I never got around to checking thru the menu (however, all other instruments on the dash were working fine. And item 23 would be for all instrumentation lighting?).
Thing is, two nights ago I went on a 5 minute trip to the shops, leaving the car parked no more than 10 minutes. When I returned, found that the A/C light came on with the rest of the lights! So far, still working. :] -culprit, unknown...-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in