Replacing license plate bulbs (Sedan) - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2007
Vehicle: 2001 SLK 320(215K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(182K Miles)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Replacing license plate bulbs (Sedan)

I've had to replace a license plate bulb today and I thought I'll write it up in case somebody else needs to do it as well.
First, the bulb is NOT replaced from the outside, even though an initial look may lead you to believe that the trim strip around the lights will come off if the 2 screws are removed. The silver button in the middle actually hides a bolt that has a screw inside the lid (Picture 1).

Start off by using a screwdriver to lift out the center post in the studs that holds down the trunk line to the lid. Picture 2 shows what a stud and post looks like. Once you have pulled the post out, you can remove the stud as well. remove all the studs on the bottom lip and the vertical sides (of course the vertical sides are now horizontal when you have the lid open.). You don't need to remove the posts on the upper (horizontal) part of the lid. You must also remove the two in the center of the lid.

Maneuver the lining out underneath the lock and over the rubber stops and trunk light switch. You can now bend the the liner down to get at the bulbs(Picture 3). You may want to disconnect the wire to the trunk light (Picture 4) to allow you to bend the trunk liner down more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000090.jpg
Views:	2557
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	154001   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000087.jpg
Views:	1321
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	154002   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000085.jpg
Views:	2960
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	154003   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000084.jpg
Views:	1434
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	154004  

Last edited by Kobus; 12-16-2007 at 09:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Replacing license plate bulbs - continued

You should now be able to see the bulbs if you peer into the opening. The space was too limited for photos. Getting the bulbs out are quite a tough business, since there is not enough space to get a proper grip on the bulb - or maybe my hands/fingers are too big. I used a needle nose plier to grip the bulb on the metal part on one side and a small screwdriver to push the bulb holder jaw open on the opposite side.
I bought some long-life bulbs at Kragen (Picture 5), as it is a real PITA to get the bulb out and back again. The 6418LL is the correct size and rating. If you thought is was difficult to get the bulb out, you haven't yet tried to get the new one in. The bulb fits VERY tight into the bulb jaws, presumably so that they don't pop out when you slam the lid. It took me about 20 minutes to get the first bulb in. When I had a look at the second bulb, I noticed that it wasn't seated properly, and it popped out when I tried to re-seat it (presumably last fitted at the dealer for the previous owner, since it was a replacement bulb!). So I fitted a new bulb there as well - which only took me 2 minutes! The trick is to fit the one end of the bulb into the hole on one of the jaws from BEHIND (furthest away from you). Then pull the bulb towards you against the other jaw with your finger while you push simultaneously with a small screwdriver against the jaw to open it up. It may sound complicated, but that is what worked for me.
Once you are done, reconnect any wires you may have disconnected or dislodged in your struggles. Test the lights to see if your job was good before you start to refit the liner.
To refit the liner, first start with the studs in the center of the trunk-lid. If you don't do these first, you will not be able to get these studs in after the ones on the edges have been fitted first. You may have to stretch the liner a bit to align the holes. Push the stud the whole way in, and then push the post in the hole. Now maneuver the liner over the rubber stops and trunk light switch and under the trunk lock and push in the remaining studs and posts.
All done and no more warning on the console.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000086.jpg
Views:	3695
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	154009  

Last edited by Kobus; 12-16-2007 at 09:26 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 11:24 PM

Date registered: Nov 2004
Vehicle: E55 ///AMG
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Thanks for the great write up Kobus.. I'll include this to our DIY Section.

-JOE55

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 03:27 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 1997 E420, 117,000 mls
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello Kobus:
Thanks for the write up it was very useful and encouraged me to change my bulbs. It seems I don't have the dexterity to fiddle around with the bulbs as you did in the extremely tight space. I dropped the bulb at least 6 times when trying to insert it and it traveled to the most inconvenient places behind the trunk liner, etc. After 30 minutes my frustration almost had the better of me when I noticed at the end of the lenses there are retaining clips which can be pushed in for the lens to come out. It sure made putting those bulbs in a breeze and I found it well worth the effort of removing the three screws on the lens trim outside the trunk.

It's nice to be rid of the annoying "Lamp Defective" signal. Thanks again. Chato
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
Hello Kobus:
I noticed at the end of the lenses there are retaining clips which can be pushed in for the lens to come out. It sure made putting those bulbs in a breeze and I found it well worth the effort of removing the three screws on the lens trim outside the trunk.
Chato
Yes, that will make it a lot easier if you are willing to remove the trim strip (2 screws from outside and a nut on the inside). Of course you still have to remove the trunk lid liner to get to the nut.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 05:53 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: 2014 E350 4Matic sedan, 68K miles (purchased Jan 2017)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Garage
Is this something i can find in my local Auto Zone or Advance Auto Parts? Would rather not have to pay for shipping and wait on such a small item.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 06:08 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 1996 210.020
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fju2112 View Post
Is this something i can find in my local Auto Zone or Advance Auto Parts? Would rather not have to pay for shipping and wait on such a small item.
It is likely. If not, look for a NAPA or CarQuest chain member, which tend to have a different inventory.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 06:14 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: '01-E320 & 02-ST2
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
The 6418LL bulb is easy enough to find, Kragen (Checker and Schucks in other parts of the US) as well as Autozone and Pep Boys carry it, but it seems stupidly expensive ($7 a pair if I remember correctly). On the other hand if they really are long life and you never have to change it again, that's not bad.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 07:52 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Vehicle: 2014 E350 4Matic sedan, 68K miles (purchased Jan 2017)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Garage
Just wanted to thanks Kobus. I did this yesterday and based on the tips I received from his post and others who shared some insight, it wasn't nearly as frustrating to replace the bulbs as it would have been. I backed the bulb in from behind as noted by Kobus and used a flathead screwdriver to push the contact out a bit further to allow the bulb to drop into place. No more defective lamp warning! Thanks again!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 02:17 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: E-ZGO 53 HP., 99 E 430 sport, 04 E55 AMG, 2008 Tahoe LTZ Sold Porsche to Brother
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in