bulbs for night time cluster illumination ? - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 01:00 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2003
Vehicle: 2007 CLS320, 1998 E300TD estate, 2001 Ducati 996SPS, 1981 Moto Guzzi Spada
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In UK, Ultra Bright Leds and Led products at bargain prices with super fast delivery - by Ultra Leds U.K is good source, but not with integral holders.

I have pre-facelift (orange led display in dash). CAn anyone advise how to remove instrument cluster?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 04:29 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: R230 SL350 Presnt, Past - W208 CLK230K 2000, W203 C Class, W202 C Class, W210 E Class, W201 190E
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
To remove the instrument panel is straight forward. It is merely held in place be friction. You can make up two small hooks out of a coat hanger and then insert them into the small gap just above the wooden trim on the left and right. If you insert the hooks (making them quite small and about 4 inches long with a good grip hold on the other end and then with the hook facing towards the cluster you can pull the cluster out. If you cant get the hook to catch level with the wooden trim then you can just hook onto the lip of the cluster just above the wood trim carfully. If you cant get it to move, then try one side then the other, it should come.

PS when you get the cluster out,dont disconnect the cables as it can cause an Airbag fault light to come on! Good Luck..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue LED door mod.jpg
Views:	5341
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	147964  
Attached Images

post #23 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 04:40 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: '01-E320 & 02-ST2
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1EK View Post
To remove the instrument panel is straight forward. It is merely held in place be friction. You can make up two small hooks out of a coat hanger and then insert them into the small gap just above the wooden trim on the left and right. If you insert the hooks (making them quite small and about 4 inches long with a good grip hold on the other end and then with the hook facing towards the cluster you can pull the cluster out. If you cant get the hook to catch level with the wooden trim then you can just hook onto the lip of the cluster just above the wood trim carfully. If you cant get it to move, then try one side then the other, it should come.

PS when you get the cluster out,dont disconnect the cables as it can cause an Airbag fault light to come on! Good Luck..
Ummmm...to add to what AE1K said, before you remove the cluster adjust the steering wheel down and all the way towards you (away from the dash). Also, if you make your own tools you will need stainless steel wire; I don't know what kind of metal they use for coat-hangers across the pond, but those here in the US are far too flexible and will simply straighten out without pulling a darn thing loose. I made my own and hated them (wire cutting into hands, have to wear gloves, etc.) and finally just ordered the proper ones from duvalmotorcars.com for about $12. Radio keys were another $2 if memory serves. Basic necessities for owning these cars IMHO.

If for some reason you DO want to remove the cluster connections (for example you're swapping it or sending it in for the famous pixel repair), then the steps are: adjust wheel down and out. Disconnect battery cable. Wait a few minutes, then pull the cluster. Keep the key out of the ignition for the entire process. Make sure you have all the connectors properly affixed on the cluster BEFORE you reconnect the battery.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jul 2006
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
hey guys, apparently our benzes will start AND run just fine with the instrument cluster removed.

however i do not know if the car will store the added miles while driving without the cluster. LOL
post #25 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 04:33 AM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 2007 CLS320, 1998 E300TD estate, 2001 Ducati 996SPS, 1981 Moto Guzzi Spada
I don't think my steering wheel is adjustable. What is the proc. for removal (do I need to?)
Cheers
post #26 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 05:17 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: R230 SL350 Presnt, Past - W208 CLK230K 2000, W203 C Class, W202 C Class, W210 E Class, W201 190E
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebower View Post
I don't think my steering wheel is adjustable. What is the proc. for removal (do I need to?)
Cheers
To continue from Gregs210, if you want to buy the hooks then they are cheap enough and are the easiest answer. However if time is againts you then just make them as I said from a coat hanger, or wire. The wire is deffinately strong enough to pull the dash out without bending straight as my dash was very tight! What you need to do is make a tiny hook like the photo I submitted, then make a nice neat elogated hole and twisted the end around the hook shaft, (it wont come lose) you should now have a T-shape hook looking hook that you can get your fingers into and pull, (A tip is to pull one side then the other, and hook your thumb on the steering wheel then pull the hook with your fingers.!

As for not having an adjustable steering wheel no problem, because neither is mine. What you need to do is turn the steering wheel to the normal striaght position, then when you pull the dash out you can just raise the bottom lip of it out over the top of the steering wheel.

Good Luck, Let me know if you want photos I will take them..
post #27 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 01:25 PM
BenzWorld Member

Thanks for all the detail - I'll give it a go this week.
Cheers
post #28 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 05:38 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: 2001 E320
I notice your clock and temp lcd's are working.

Is this an anomally?

Based on what I have read in other posts many cars have pixel issues.

I have only had my e320 for a few weeks but I have to admit it irritates me mightily that I own a "luxury" car and can't get a decent clock or temp gauge.

It would be one thing if it was a trunk issue or something that I wouldn't be reminded of every few minutes while driving.

Anyway - off my soap box.

since it is relatively easy to get the cluster out is there some simpler procedure for fixing the lcd's?
post #29 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 10:23 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2007
Vehicle: 97 E420 Sport
Question Meter cluster bulbs changed; now cruise will not engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProV1x View Post
either side of my cluster does not light up as bright as the middle area at night, I suspect the 1.2W bulbs are almost burnt out.

my question is does the cluster need a specific bulb only from the MB dealer, or can i use a generic bulb from autozone?
I recently replaced all the meter cluster bulbs in my 97 E420. Now my cruise will not engage at >60 mph. Worked fine enroute to appointment. Mechanic laughed it off and said no way bulb replacement caused problem. Anyone out there know if there is a relation?

Last edited by sanginman; 11-16-2007 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Add answer to poster's original question.
post #30 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 10:25 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2007
Vehicle: 97 E420 Sport
Meter cluster bulbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanginman View Post
I recently replaced all the meter cluster bulbs in my 97 E420. Now my cruise will not engage at >60 mph. Worked fine enroute to appointment. Mechanic laughed it off and said no way bulb replacement caused problem. Anyone out there know if there is a relation?
By the way, mechanic said some of the bulbs were dealer only.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in