post #1 of 128 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Mar 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Antenna Fix

Hi,

I usually post over in the W123 forum (since I own 3 of 'em), and work in a Mercedes parts department. I thought y'all might be interested in this little tip. If the rubber tip comes off your roof mounted antenna, instead of buying a whole new cover for +$100, do this.

1.Have your dealer order a Euro antenna tip (part number 202-827-00-31) for about $10.

2.Remove the painted cap from your car (small hex head screw) and slightly ream out the hole with a 15/32" or 1/2" drill bit.

3.Insert the new rubber antenna into the hole. You will have to mark how much excess you have on the inside, and cut it off.

4.Put back in place, and secure with a drop of epoxy or super glue from the inside.

5. Reinstall the cover onto the roof, making sure you get the gasket in place.

We've done dozens of cars like this, and haven't had any problems. It sure makes the customer happy to save $100. Hope this helps somebody out!

Jamie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 128 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 02:27 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: '01-E320 & 02-ST2
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieK
Hi,

I usually post over in the W123 forum (since I own 3 of 'em), and work in a Mercedes parts department. I thought y'all might be interested in this little tip. If the rubber tip comes off your roof mounted antenna, instead of buying a whole new cover for +$100, do this.

1.Have your dealer order a Euro antenna tip (part number 202-827-00-31) for about $10.

2.Remove the painted cap from your car (small hex head screw) and slightly ream out the hole with a 15/32" or 1/2" drill bit.

3.Insert the new rubber antenna into the hole. You will have to mark how much excess you have on the inside, and cut it off.

4.Put back in place, and secure with a drop of epoxy or super glue from the inside.

We've done dozens of cars like this, and haven't had any problems. It sure makes the customer happy to save $100. Hope this helps somebody out!

Jamie
Hey, Jamie.

Thanks for the tip...mods, let's add this to the sticky thread, what do you think?

And Jamie, you'll be sorry you admitted to working in an MB parts dept, your PM box will fill up in no time.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

post #3 of 128 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 05:03 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2007
Vehicle: 2000 E-430 Sport-Former owner M/L Baseball Catcher - Ivan Rodríguez /// C-230 Kompressor '05 sport
Hi Jamie:

Thank You for the advise. I am from San Juan, PR and our local MB Dealer wants to charge $190.00 for the replacement painted cap.

Thank you again,
MMM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 128 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 05:05 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieK
Hi,

Jamie
you rock.....it looks great thanks for saving me 110 bucks.....i owe you a drink
post #5 of 128 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 04:31 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Hey, folks. About to do this, noticed that mine was broken when I washed the car today. I'll go ahead and snap some pics, post a pictorial DIY to complement Jamiek's great idea. Just waiting for the quote from Duval for this and a few other things.

Greg

post #6 of 128 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 05:28 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: 01 E430, 02 E55AMG BOTH LEFT HAND DRIVE
greg I broke mine with a car cover, be very very careful when using car covers don't move around. I paid 100 at stealer already painted.
post #7 of 128 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 06:46 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzzn55
greg I broke mine with a car cover, be very very careful when using car covers don't move around. I paid 100 at stealer already painted.
Hey, benzzn55.
I'm not sure how mine broke, I noticed it while washing. I may have been a little heavy-handed with the wash mitt, supposedly they get pretty brittle with age and then break easily.
At any rate, that's why I'm thrilled with JamieK's post. It will take a bit of time and attention to fit the Euro part properly, but it cost a whopping $7 plus shipping at Duval. Leaves me enough for a tank of gas and a dinner date.
I'm sure it will also look a tiny bit different, but that bothers me not at all, and I can document it for others so they see exactly what to do and can save significant bucks as well. Plus we need another simple DIY. (Just glad I'm on the forum so I knew about it.)
Greg

post #8 of 128 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 11:45 AM

Date registered: Nov 2004
Vehicle: E55 ///AMG
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzzn55
What did you do man take it easy You too Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 128 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 02:26 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: '01 E55
The next logical step...

in this discussion is to ask about a simple (and inexpensive) fix for the gasket that sits between the painted antenna cap and the roof of the car. Mine is cracked, brittle and little bits of it come off every time I wash the car. Has anyone found a good fix for this?
post #10 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 03:59 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Hey, folks.

Now that the E is back from the body shop and the ugly parking lot dent is gone from the fender, I finally got around to repairing the antenna tip. (To be honest, all this time I've had part of a drinking straw, flattened at the tip, covered in electrical tape with some silicone at the bottom...it worked fine for the interim and didn't look that bad. A friend of mine who knew it was broken thought I'd already fixed it until I told him to take a closer look.)

Okay, while I said I'd take pictures and do a DIY, I didn't plan on doing this today, but I was over at my sister's house for Easter and got into it after washing the car. So I didn't take pictures. That said, I'm not sure exactly what I would take pictures OF (except perhaps the end results). It's pretty self-explanatory, so I'll just expand on Jamie's cursory tip.

Remove your antenna cap and CAREFULLY remove the gasket (as Ed mentions, it's pretty brittle, if you break it I'm not sure that is separately available, but mine is looking a bit peaked so I'll inquire at my stealer) and then remove the bottom piece of your old rubber tip from the inside of the cap.

You'll ultimately need a half-inch drill bit, but I started with a 7/16, then to 15/32 and then I noticed that the bit had moved a bit off-center (which made me glad I started smaller, had I started with the 1/2 I would probably have ruined it). So I used a small blade on a pocketknife to even it out, then used the half-incher. Even that was not quite enough, so the pocketknife finished the job. I also ended up cutting off about 1/4" from the bottom of the new tip where it flares so greatly; otherwise the assembly will not seat properly on the base.

The only real issue is that it is barely too short; in order to reach the next ring/rib (see close up shot) on the new tip you would have to drill bigger, then you'd be off of the top and into the body of the cap, which would ruin the cap. Thus it puts a small bend into the antenna. But since the antenna's usefulness has passed and it's only for show at this point, it's no big deal (plus the little bend shouldn't affect it anyway).

There are two pics so you can see the results, one from a bit farther away and a close up that shows the rings/ribs on the euro design. It's not perfect but for under ten bucks it looks better than an exact replacement -- and it's plainly better than a drinking straw, electrical tape or not.

Greg

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Antenna_Wide.JPG
Views:	1318
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	169232   Click image for larger version

Name:	Antenna_Close.JPG
Views:	3476
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	169233  

Last edited by Check Codes; 03-24-2008 at 12:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in