Mercedes-Benz Forum

Mercedes-Benz Forum (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/)
-   W210 E-Class (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/)
-   -   DIY Pictorial Oil Change - V6 (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1306246-diy-pictorial-oil-change-v6.html)

Check Codes 07-13-2005 02:29 PM

DIY Pictorial Oil Change

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, Folks. As of March, 2008 I merged the two threads on this and will clean up the posts. If you had the previous link as a favorite, my apologies. Just download the pdf, that's easier anyway.

As always, take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

uberwgn 07-13-2005 02:51 PM

RE: New DIY Pictorial Oil Change

nice write-up. Thanks for doing it !

mjhawkins2346 07-14-2005 12:07 AM

Hey, you did it. Nice post.

satxmerc01 07-14-2005 03:22 PM

Gregs210,

Thanks for your post. It really answered a lot of questions that I had regarding DIY oil changes on my E320

Friedolin 07-15-2005 10:49 AM

Gregs210, nice job on the diy oil change and pictures. I downloaded the pics and will keep them for future reference. One comment though, it is easy to go overboard when worrying about your Mercedes. Let's remember that the E320 is a German Taxicab and it is built for a lot of abuse from all over the world. When we first had our 98 E320, synthetic oil was not even required, that came later. I think any kind of synthetic oil is better than the old common engine oil. Any good quality engine should do just fine, as long as you do not run low or wait too long between oil changes. -- The engine holds 8 1/2 quarts of oil. Why? I would imagine to a) extend the period between oil changes and b) for engine cooling. Therefore, if you happen to have oil a little below the 'add oil' mark on the dipstick, or if the engine oil light comes on, don't go racing around! Take it easy until you have a chance to add oil or have the oil changed. -- Also, I see no reason to buy 9 quarts of expensive synthetic oil, when 8 quarts will do. Top it off later on when the dipstick is half way down between the marks.

Black Stallion 07-15-2005 12:03 PM

Thanks a lot greg210. Really appreciate that.

Check Codes 07-15-2005 12:36 PM

Quote:

Friedolin - 7/15/2005 10:49 AM

Gregs210, nice job on the diy oil change and pictures. I downloaded the pics and will keep them for future reference. One comment though, it is easy to go overboard when worrying about your Mercedes. Let's remember that the E320 is a German Taxicab and it is built for a lot of abuse from all over the world. When we first had our 98 E320, synthetic oil was not even required, that came later. I think any kind of synthetic oil is better than the old common engine oil. Any good quality engine should do just fine, as long as you do not run low or wait too long between oil changes. -- The engine holds 8 1/2 quarts of oil. Why? I would imagine to a) extend the period between oil changes and b) for engine cooling. Therefore, if you happen to have oil a little below the 'add oil' mark on the dipstick, or if the engine oil light comes on, don't go racing around! Take it easy until you have a chance to add oil or have the oil changed. -- Also, I see no reason to buy 9 quarts of expensive synthetic oil, when 8 quarts will do. Top it off later on when the dipstick is half way down between the marks.
Friedolin, just because it's built for long term use doesn't mean we can ignore it's design and engineering. Starting with the V6 3.2 and coming forward, MBZ DESIGNED their newer engines for use with a specially formulated synthetic oil, which is why you shouldn't just dump even Mobil1 0W30 in there. The 0W40 is what MBZ specifies for their engine. This is not just a "good quality engine", it's an engine that was specifically designed for a specially formulated synthetic oil. The 8.5Q capacity is indeed for the reasons you note, but drawing your conclusion based solely on capacity has no basis in logic.
That said, I respect anyone's right to follow whatever maintenance procedure they wish with their car. Heck, run 30W non-detergent in it and then you won't even need a filter, save even more money. But don't post up a suggestion that others follow your poor example.
Final thought: I didn't exactly fall off the turnip truck yesterday, but I have to admit I'm surprised to hear suggested that it's going overboard to respect the folks who design and build the car and to therefore follow their advice and specifications when it comes to maintenance.

Good grief.

Enjoy the ride,
Greg

Raylee177 08-21-2005 08:44 AM

Greg,
Your work is worthy of revisit for many more people to see. They will benefit from your work and make this forum much appreciative.

Rafael Grullón 08-21-2005 03:03 PM

Great work Greg. Will help lots of people in the forum.Thanks.[;)]

Storm 08-21-2005 11:49 PM

RE: DIY Pictorial Oil Change

gregs210 Thanks for taking the time to create this thread. It's members like you who have helped this forum get to where it is now. Excellent write up and pics.

Your efforts are very much appreciated by all of us.[8D]