LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 244 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 02:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 05 500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Excellent write-up you cheap bastard. I like that pic with half the car on the side walk.

You're very creative. I didn't even go through the entire thing but felt compelled to congratulate you man. I have a DIY write-up on the subject from another forum member but I think your format is quite a bit easier to follow. Thanks for the detail about the MB spec printed on the oil label. I never looked at this - just believed any 0W40 would work. Do all 0W40 oils have the MB spec printed on the label?

Anyway, good stuff. You just saved a whole bunch of us a lot of headache. Now, I'll go bookmark your stuff and read the rest of it.

1996 Z32 TT
A 18Hp lawn mower
370Z - I want one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 244 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: '01-E320 & 02-ST2
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
RE: DIY Pictorial Oil Change

Thanks for all the kind words; it's nice to be appreciated. And -- though I know you're kidding, Darkmann -- I'm not cheap, I have jackstands but you'd have to raise the whole left side of the car evenly based upon the drainplug location which is a whole lot of extra time and effort. Besides, to my knowledge no car has ever fallen off a curb, except maybe during an earthquake. :)

Re: the oil spec, there's a few threads on this issue. In Mobil1 there is only one viscosity that meets MB requirements, and that is the 0W-40. If you don't want to run Mobil1 (or would prefer a different viscosity) then Amsoil, Quaker State, Pennzoil and a couple of others make synthetics that meet the 229.5 MB spec, search the threads and you'll find them. The Mobil1 0W-40 meets all MB requirements, including temperature range, so whether you live in Siberia or Death Valley you can run it all the time. Plus I can find it locally for a reasonable price, so that's just what I buy all the time.

Last note, for those of you with pre-1998 cars you don't have to worry about synthetics, it's just required for the newer engines. Thus, I'm not sure about the MBZ spec for yours. That said, if you want to run synthetic for the additional protection and decreased friction it offers, I'd recommend the heavier-duty fleece oil filter instead of the paper one and then you'd want to pick the oil based upon your climate, which should be in your owner's manual. However, if you've never run synthetic and have at least 75K on the clock, I would be very careful about switching; most stories I've heard are that seals leak if you go over to sythetic.

Storm, you came highly regarded as a new admin and I was glad to see you get it, so your comments too are particularly appreciated.

Take care, folks, and enjoy the ride.
Greg

post #13 of 244 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 12:05 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Aug 2005
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to brf351

Hi - this is Brian.
You did a great job on the DIY oil change for your E320. I just bought mine and I love it.
The pictures are really going to help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17_1584536_92200530530PM.jpg (38.0 KB, 2011 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 244 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)

Hi, Brian.

Nice E!

Whereabouts are you located? Any other mods to the Benz?

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

post #15 of 244 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 04:05 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2005 E500 4Matic

This is a great post and will save me/us a lot of $$. I hope it's as easy as you make it to be -- no doubts, though. Where do you take the used oil afterward?
post #16 of 244 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
This is a great post and will save me/us a lot of $$. I hope it's as easy as you make it to be -- no doubts, though. Where do you take the used oil afterward?
It really is that easy, and if you follow the "suck" theory as opposed to draining, it's even easier. I'm still on the fence but lean more towards draining. The trickiest part is the oil filter and all the o-rings, but if you pay attention (and have the correct filter wrench!) you should be fine. Disposal of the used oil is easy where I live because there are laws that require focus stores to accept it for recycling. Moreover some local communities with recycling have specific days you can leave it out. Several stores do it voluntarily in other states, AutoZone and Checker/Shucks/Kragen (same store, different name depending on where in the US you are) very commonly accept it; call a few to find out. Otherwise contact your waste-disposal company to find out where to deposit it for recycling.

Greg

post #17 of 244 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 07:43 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 3 so far.

Greg,

As the new guy on the block, I am very impressed and very grateful for your effort and input to help us newbies to DIY our oil changes. I did change my own oil on the 02 E430 back in June 2005, only after extensive interrogation of the MB dealer's parts guys, who were actually very helpful, even down to drain plug location, and crush washer replacement.

Thanks again. Mike.

Keep Runnin.
post #18 of 244 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 08:14 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: '04 G55 '80 280GE '99 S420 '98 E320 2011 E350 2016 GLA250
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)

Good Work.

I have an even easier method.
Go to a boating supply and purchase a "Topsider".
It's an electric powered device to "suck" out the oil via a "straw." Flip the switch, and come back 15 min later, et voila!
No mess, and no having to get under the car.
Also, I've found I actually get out MORE oil than draining.
Give it a go!
Patrick
post #19 of 244 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 04:59 PM

Date registered: Nov 2004
Vehicle: E55 ///AMG
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm.
gregs210 Thanks for taking the time to create this thread. It's members like you who have helped this forum get to where it is now. Excellent write up and pics.

Your efforts are very much appreciated by all of us.[8D]
Totally agree with Storm! Good Job Greg!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 244 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 04:19 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: W211 E200K 2006
Send a message via Skype™ to sleman22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest
Hi, Folks. I just posted a DIY oil change, with pictures and narrative, in the galleries. This one was by the "drain" method, so for those of you who'd rather suck it out, go for it. It's pretty basic, so if you're a newbie with basic skills there is enough there for you to get comfortable with it.

There are several shots in the gallery, work left to right and then top to bottom.

Greg

Here's the link: https://www.benzworld.org/gallery/sho...0/ppuser/32701

(Edited by Storm. on 28-04-06)
nice write-up. Thanks for doing it !!
I Really appreciate that !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in