Hello! and interest in pictorial DIY for window regulator? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hello! and interest in pictorial DIY for window regulator?

Hi all,

I'm a noob to the board, part-time lurker. My in-laws have a '99 W210 E320 wagon (do you call your M-B wagons Variants?) and I'm the pseudo-mechanic for things like oil & filter changes, brakes, and other general, basic maintenance. I've been DIY'ing my '98 Passat GLX for about 4 years and have learned a bit about working on German cars from that.

Anyway, thanks in part to some of the basic instrucions on this board, I managed to change out their left rear power window regulator. I took pics of everything along the way, and was curious if there was any interest in a full DIY writeup on the procedure. I'm only asking because I don't want to step on any toes if there's already something like this out there. If so, I haven't found it...

TIA
Ash
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 09:20 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2005
RE: Hello! and interest in pictorial DIY for window regulator?

I have a 97 E420 and just had the back drivers side window go out. Had it halfway down, when I went to raise it I heard a snap now the window will not raise. From reading the post I believe it is the window regulator. Called two dealerships for repair, the part is $97.00
Dealership 1 $370.00
Dealership 2 $475.00

Would really like to see a write-up and pics

Thanks
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 09:31 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Nov 2004
Vehicle: CLK320
Send a message via MSN to Mr. Pie

http://www.mbnz.org/forums/search/qu...klasse&days=//

From just a few posts below yours, from yesterday. I got mine done at an indy for $225 total.

2001 W208
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

K2a, K3, K4 + COMAND, HID halo projector headlights, flat hood emblem, chrome cluster rings, Bluetooth phone adapter, MB illuminated door sills, AMG steering wheel, AMG pedals, chrome AMG II dual spoke wheels, Nitto NT 555 Extreme Performance, 235/35/19 front, 265/30/19 rear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2005
(Thread Starter)

Hey Miles,

Needless to say, I gained some pretty good brownie points with my father-in-law.

Part (Meyle brand): $45.08

Current out of stock, but this is my source (very well-respected with the VW crowd):
http://www.stopshopanddrive.com/epcvsoapimc.epc?cookieID=1LH0KCIB81LO0QUKO7&drilli d=8&[email protected]@Rear+Door&clientid=stopshopan ddrive

(If your order is over $50, shipping is free)

Or here, for $20 more (shipped):
http://www.bestforeignparts.com/epcvsoapimc.epc?cookieID=1LI0O42D81LO0R238L&drilli d=8&[email protected]@Rear+Door&source=www.passatwo rld.com&clientid=bestforeignparts.com

You can also get a few of the steel rivets, which I bought, but then I just stuck with aluminum rivets since I had a regular hand rivet gun from Harbor Freight ($7) that couldn't grab the super-long mandrels.

So for less than $60 and about 90 minutes' labor (first-timer), I knocked it out. Not too bad at all!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 09:41 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: SLK320, MKV Jetta TDI, Mini Cooper S, Lincoln Mark LT
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Here is the regulator.

Once you get the door panel off it is not bad to swap out. www. edsoto .com has the video for the panel removal.

I assume no liability for any incidental, consequential or other liability from the use of this information. All risks and damages, incidental or otherwise, arising from the use or misuse of the information contained herein are entirely the responsibility of the user. Although careful precaution has been taken in the preparation of this information, I assume no responsibility for omissions or errors.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 07:00 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2005

Thanks for everyone’s help; I appreciate all the knowledgeable information. I am a first time Benz owner, but have a friend who has owned a few for many years. He introduced me to his michanic who specifically works on Mercedes.
The window cost me $260.00, he also fixed the door lock for me. He gave me some advise on my 97 E420 with 67000 miles. If anyone is looking for a Benz mechanic in Chicago area let me know.

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in