Date registered: May 2019
Vehicle: 2016 C300 4Matic
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Lightbulb New to MB - Need user advice

Hi All

Hello and wish you all a good day!

I am new to MB world, having driven Audi Q5, BMW 330i and Jaguar XF, decided to take the plunge and bought a used 2016 C300 4Matic with 40K miles on it locally in Dallas, TX. The car is still under warranty (3 months left) and wanted to get some advice from all the MB Gurus here:

1. Known issues which I should be looking out for, to get covered under warranty (which expires in 3 months)
2. Extended Warranty - better to buy from MB or outside,... any recommendations, pitfalls to avoid
3. Excessive road noise - Looked at the road noise thread with the W205, did people manage to convince their dealers to put in the new windows using the recall notice, or do the dealers need more convincing?
4. Apple Car Play - The car seems to have come with TG 5.0 COMAND system, which is not compatible to get CarPlay - Any advice on how to get that upgraded
5. One of the tyres is a non-run flat and the previous owner seems to have changed that one, all other are original continental sport SSR RF. Is it advisable to change just one tyre, and instead of getting a new one, get a used one instead so that there is near-close tread on all 4 tyres, or replace 2 tyres at a time? The 3 tyres do have around 5-8K miles on them

Really appreciate any advice which you all can give, and will be posting pictures of the car soon. its all stock right now, will look for advice on improvements once I am a bit more comfortable with the car.

Thanks and have a great day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 03:25 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 2000 ML55 sold😢 2013 ML500,😁 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 774 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
New to MB - Need user advice

The first thing I would do is get rid of the run flats. We went with Michelin pilot sport4s
A lot more quite and comfortable.
Just put a bottle of rum flat gew in the back in case of a flat.
No wind noise problem in the estate for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by mattml430; 05-03-2019 at 01:12 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 09:48 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2009
Vehicle: 1999 C280, 2015 C300
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Regarding the wind noise, it is entirely up to the dealer's discretion. I went to two MB dealers and they both said it was below the threshold that triggers replacement. It is purely subjective. Then I went to a third MB dealer with a reference from friend. He replaced the both front door windows with a heavier glass. Made a huge difference. The wind noise is gone. It drives like a different car. The run flat tire noise is still there. I will be replacing them with normal tires.

Another person invested in a cheap noise meter and showed the decibels to the dealer. The dealer was forced to accept the noise and did the replacement. There is free android app that records the noise. You may want to try it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 07:12 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2019
Vehicle: 2016 C300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prash View Post
Hi All

Hello and wish you all a good day!

I am new to MB world, having driven Audi Q5, BMW 330i and Jaguar XF, decided to take the plunge and bought a used 2016 C300 4Matic with 40K miles on it locally in Dallas, TX. The car is still under warranty (3 months left) and wanted to get some advice from all the MB Gurus here:

1. Known issues which I should be looking out for, to get covered under warranty (which expires in 3 months)
2. Extended Warranty - better to buy from MB or outside,... any recommendations, pitfalls to avoid
3. Excessive road noise - Looked at the road noise thread with the W205, did people manage to convince their dealers to put in the new windows using the recall notice, or do the dealers need more convincing?
4. Apple Car Play - The car seems to have come with TG 5.0 COMAND system, which is not compatible to get CarPlay - Any advice on how to get that upgraded
5. One of the tyres is a non-run flat and the previous owner seems to have changed that one, all other are original continental sport SSR RF. Is it advisable to change just one tyre, and instead of getting a new one, get a used one instead so that there is near-close tread on all 4 tyres, or replace 2 tyres at a time? The 3 tyres do have around 5-8K miles on them

Really appreciate any advice which you all can give, and will be posting pictures of the car soon. its all stock right now, will look for advice on improvements once I am a bit more comfortable with the car.

Thanks and have a great day.
I just bought a CPO 2016 and I extensively researched reliability and problem areas before trading my ATS in and selecting another car. Essentially (with the exception of the 2015 MY wrist pin issue) major problems with the C Class are rare although minor (but potentially costly) mirror issues will likely arise.

I researched the 2 year extended warranty and pricing varies wildly. I was shown a $3,750 price to extend the warranty 2 years on top of the 2 years that the car already had remaining giving me comprehensive warranty through 9/2023. With some negotiation I was able to get that reduced to $1,745, a total no-brainer at that price. I doubt you could go anywhere and do better since Mercedes cost of that 2 year extension is $1,600. What I'm saying is I think you can get a great price on an extended warranty wherever you buy it if timing (and the sellers incentives) are right.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 09:52 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2009
Vehicle: 1999 C280, 2015 C300
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Ron, I am sorry to say you got suckered into a scam by a dishonest sales guy. If you already had two years warranty on the car, what was the rush to get a new warranty? You should have waited and see how the car is behaving. In my several years of experience, if something is wrong, you will find out very soon.

Also you did not say where you got the warranty from: MB or some private outfit? If you wait until the MB warranty expires, MB will extend your warranty for another 3 years for a reasonable price.
mattml430 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W205 C-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in