LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2015
Vehicle: 2015 C300 4Matic
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Becker Map Pilot: Create route on PC and upload to car?

I have a new 2015 C300 with the Becker Map Pilot SD installed. I am just starting to use this system. I am an experienced Garmin GPS user and familiar with Mapsource and Basecamp Garmin software on my Windows PC.

I would like to create routes, make waypoints (aka favorites) on my PC and load those to the car.....has anyone done that? QA quick search indicates Becker Content Manager (or something like that) software installs on a PC and somehow uses a cable to communicate with the Becker system. I can't find much more than that on the internet. I am reluctant to pop that $600 Becker SD from the car and "try it out" on my PC for obvious reasons!

Hoping there is an experienced Beck Map Pilot user here on the forum! Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Wow, I thought surely SOMEONE on this forum had the Garmin Map Pilot GPS system that works with the Mercedes Audio 20. I looked in the nearly worthless "manual" that came with the $600 CD, and also on Garmin's web page in vain. There is no information on making a route and saving it. I did figure out in the car the other day how to create a "favorite", but apparently saving a route is cannot be done even in the car.

Anyone has any secrets on this Map Pilot system, please most here.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 04:37 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

I'm looking for the same. I have the mappilot as well...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge Sousa View Post
I'm looking for the same. I have the mappilot as well...
On another forum I learned that there is an Owners Manual for the Map Pilot on the SD card itself. Later today I will pop the card out of the car and into my PC and copy that manual onto my PC. Then the studying begins.....

I will try to remember to share my findings here on this forum.....if not send me a PM if that's possible on this forum.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
An update. First, the GPS in my car is the Garmin Map Pilot, not the Becker Map Pilot. I am not sure what if any is the difference.

First, anyone with a Garmin Map Pilot SD can download the MB Download Manager software (free, online) and use that to update the maps on their card (if needed). You'll be asked for a user name and password; just enter whatever (but remember them for the next time!)

I can confirm there is an Owners Manual on the Garmin Map Pilot SD card. Simply put the SD card into a PC and copy n paste the Manual pdf file onto your PC and read it. It is NOT as extensive as I'd hoped, but then the GPS program itself is not as "capable" as I hoped.....it seems to have very limited usefulness, at least for my needs.

Issues I am having with the Garmin Map Pilot software, and I hope others with more experience can help me:

1. I have not been able to save a favorite that I have created using the lat/long position. I can save favorites I created using an address, etc, but for some reason I cannot save a position. I would like to save as many positions as I can as Favorites, as then the GPS can find them using Voice commands while I am driving. Many of the areas to which I go do not have an address, hence I must use lat/long.
2. I cannot figure out how to save a route. I think there is no way to do that.....which had I known earlier I probably would have NOT gotten a GPS in this car, as I use that function a lot in my travels. A $150 Garmin GPS will do sooooo much more!
3. I suppose the "Safe mode" cannot be turned off. I understand why car companies do it (Shakespeare said it: first kill all the lawyers!), but it would have been easy to simply detect if someone is in the passenger seat, then allow manipulation the controls, for instance, finding an address while the car is moving. I understand "voice commands" still work while driving, but after having the GPS ask "Did you say 115 Grape Street, Sedgewick, Minnesota?" when I spoke "1015 Grace Street, Sedona, AZ" I decided she has a hearing impairment! <g>

Anyone know how to change the title of this thread from Becker to Garmin?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
I have successfully created and saved several waypoints/favorites using the Garmin Map Pilot GPS in my car. I have also made a backup copy of the SD card on my PC. However, I cannot determine where on the SD card my waypoints are located. Anyone figured that out?

Again, this thread ought to be titled "Garmin", nor "Becker". I THINK the Becker SD GPS system is/was quite different from the Garmin.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 12:41 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Aug 2015
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all
I am about to purchase a new C Class (2015) with the Garmin Map Pilot. The dealer then tells me it is only available in Arabic (I am in Dubai) - surely English is also available? I have read online in the Garmin manual that the Garmin Map Pilot language cannot be changed separately from the Audio 20 - so presumably you just need to set the Audio 20 language to English and it should be fine. They seem completely puzzled. Anyone had these issues? Many thanks.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 04:40 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2019
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
FOLLOWING.......same issue/questions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W205 C-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in