post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 2015 C300 4Matic
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Spare Tire in the 2015 C300?

The New York Times website has a video review of the 2015 C300 in which they display the Sport model.

In the review they make a point that there is no spare tire in the trunk. I cannot find any mention of this issue on Benzworld and on mbusa.com I don't see a spare listed as an option or accessory. (Did I miss it?)

I have had a few C class cars and currently lease a 2013 LS which has a reduced size spare in the bottom of the trunk. Granted I have been luck enough not to need it but it would worry me to drive a car without a spare tire nor would I very much care to have to buy a spare tire and wheel for a car I'm going to lease.

Anyone know whether the 2015 C300 comes with a spare tire?
RayWJr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 05:49 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2014
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
No, well in Australia we don't get spare tyres. Ive just sold my BMW F30 and just ordered my new W205 C and none of them have spare tyres as they run on Run Flat Tyres.. I am not a fan, but I've always carried around a space saver on those longer than usual trips.

Looking at the Australian C Class spec sheet, you can buy a space saver spare tyre.. probably for a huge amount of money.. my BMW space saver cost me $900 AUS
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 06:05 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2008
Vehicle: 2006 ML350 4MATIC, 2014 C250
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The new C Class comes with "Extended Mobility Tires"......Mercedes enhanced name for Run Flats. They are supposed to ride better than Run Flats. To me, not having a spare tire is a deal killer and I would not consider a new C Class. Having a flat tire at the start of a weekend would put you out of commission for several days until you can order and have delivered a new tire of the same type as the one that went flat. You will need to do this as Run Flats are not repairable even for a common nail/screw puncture. If you have a 4 MATIC, as all new C Class cars are, you may even need to replace all 4 tires if the circumference on the other 3 worn tires is greater than 1/2 inch difference. Run Flats are also more expensive than a standard tire and you will be lucky to get 30,000 miles of wear out of them.

I just don't need to have any car with Run Flats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 02:12 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 2010 C200 CGI /W203/SLK230/W202/230E/280SE
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I agree - you would think that after years of negative feedback on the BMW run flats, somebody at Benz (and BMW) would finally twig that they are not popular especially considering the cost and availability.

Is it possible to fit normal tyres on those rims?

No W205 for me until I can get normal tyres

Oberoi

Last edited by oberoi; 10-12-2014 at 02:15 PM.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 07:50 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2014
Vehicle: benzw205
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Bridgestone runflat tires on the C-class have very bad reviews and are very expensive but its quite convenient to drive 200 kms with a destroyed tire...

And even when it is written everywhere that we should not have different tires on the car I now have a standard tire on 1 side and everything is fine, because anyway I am sure that I won't buy any run flat in the future until they will be sold at this price and get so bad reviews.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 01:14 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Running 3 Run Flats with 1 conventional tire must really effect handling due to the difference in side wall stiffness.

One reason you don't want to replace the Run Flats with conventional tires is that the suspension is "tuned" for the stiffer wall structure of the Run Flats.

Quite a few BMW owners are also not replacing their Run Flats with Run Flats either and are just risking it without a spare. Just something I would do. Basically, I just won't consider buying a car that comes with Run Flats.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 2015 C300 4Matic
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
On my 2013 I have the "doughnut" mini spare and wheel in the trunk.

How much does one of these cost? Tried Googling and couldn't find it. Is this an OEM item only?
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 11:35 PM
Supreme Sandwich

Date registered: Aug 2010
Vehicle: '84 Euro 500SE, '85 Euro 2.3-16, '51 Euro 170S, '97 Jeep Wrangler Sport, '15 G63 AMG
Location: San Antonio, Texas/Gulf Breeze, Florida/Neustadt a.d. Aisch, Deutschland
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Manufacturers are trying to reduce weight (to increase fuel economy) by eliminating the need for a donut (or even a full-size spare).

I think it's a ridiculous move. Both the '84 and '85 have fresh full-size spares that are ready to go at a moments notice. Oh, and I have all that awesome trunk space still!

The E350 has a donut, and when I had to use it and adhere to the 50mph speedlimit for such a tire, you can believe that impatient Texan drivers weren't happy with me not doing 80 in a 65 with everyone else!

It's been discussed before that there are adverse affects in vehicle handling as well as the overall ride quality when switching from run flats to conventional tires. Is there a way to have the suspension dialed in for conventional tires? With all the fancy electronics, there's almost certainly a way. The question is how much will it cost and is it worth it?

'85 Euro 190E 2.3-16
'84 Euro 500SE
'51 Euro 170S
'15 G63 AMG
'97 Jeep Wrangler Sport
'98 Dodge Durango SLT+ 5.9L Magnum V8
'96 Ford F350 7.3 PSD

~Josh
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 12:50 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2014
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I started a thread Extended Mobility Tires. It's on page 2. It might be of interest on this subject. Basically, I built a car on Mercedes website and the tires were Extended Mobility Tires and there was a disclaimer stating that the tires were not to be driven on ice or snow. You must buy approved wheels and tires. So, you can only get all wheel drive and you have to buy snow tires. I might have to buy a tank next.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 06:48 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Try driving behind a car with Run Flats when it is raining. The decreased traction on wet roads causes them to slow down. When they lose their air pressure you cannot drive on these tires at more than 50 mph also and they are good for only 50 miles of driving distance before the side walls are shot. That is why you cannot repair a tire puncture on these tires as if you use them for what they are designed (driving without air pressure) the side walls are worn out.

If they are not to be driven on ice or snow what are you supposed to do? There are no Run Flats designed for snow or ice. If you are supposed to put winter tires on the car the suspension is not designed for regular tires and then there is no spare.

More reasons never to buy a car that comes with Run Flats (Extended Mobility Tires for Mercedes).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W205 C-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in