Spare Tire in the 2015 C300? - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 07:36 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2014
Vehicle: 13 GLK350, 02 325, 94 sonoma, 12 RAM, 01 WS6
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
I have installed and ridden on several BMW's with regular tires that come from the factory with run flats me the BMW drives/rides better without them.

yes you can put regular tires on a car that came equipt with run flats. I have to say it but every car within the next 5 or so years will have run flats. less weight means better MPG. and with the 56 or so mpg mandatory avg mpg by 2025 or so this is how they are doing it. They are not going away. they are here to stay. Get used to it with you want that brand of car, if not than go to another brand. But a lot of makers are using them now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 05:34 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2014
Vehicle: 2015 C300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortecpwr View Post
... I have to say it but every car within the next 5 or so years will have run flats. less weight means better MPG. and with the 56 or so mpg mandatory avg mpg by 2025 or so this is how they are doing it. They are not going away. they are here to stay. Get used to it with you want that brand of car, if not than go to another brand. But a lot of makers are using them now.
I agree with this. Like it or not, the spare tire is going the way of the manual hand brake. No spare in the trunk, no jack, no nothing. Some manufacturers provide "mobility kits" with regular tires, while others simply rely on roadside assistance or run flat tires. It's all about saving weight and improving fuel economy ... and there's no going back.

Run flat technology is slowly improving, and the current crop of run flats are much better than the ones of a few years ago. They still lag behind the performance and/or comfort of standard tires, but they are getting better.

In the White Mountains of northern New Hampshire.

2015 MB C300: Iridium Silver, black MB-Tex interior with Burl Walnut trim, Premium, Multimedia, BLIS, 18" five spoke wheels.
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 07:11 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2008
Vehicle: 2006 ML350 4MATIC, 2014 C250
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Honda tried Run Flats several years ago on their Odyssey minivan. They had so many complaints that they went back to regular tires and have not used Run Flats since.

Michelin and Hancock are working on a new design or tire/wheel package where there is cushion in the wheel and the tire is just a strip of rubber with no air inflation. This will probably be the replacement for the current Run Flat tire which will be gone in the near future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 2015 C300 4Matic
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanNH View Post
. . .Like it or not, the spare tire is going the way of the manual hand brake. No spare in the trunk, no jack, no nothing. Some manufacturers provide "mobility kits" with regular tires, while others simply rely on roadside assistance or run flat tires.
OP here. Stopped at the service department of my dealership and got even worse news than this:

1. There is no spare in the trunk of the 2015 C.

2. There is no doughnut spare and wheel combo listed as in the parts directory for this model so even if you wanted to buy one, they don't have one to sell you.

3. One of the service guys was of the belief that there is no space to store a spare in the trunk. (I think he meant in the drawer below the floor.)

4. There is no jack delivered with the car.

5. Apparently, if you get a flat, a warning light and message goes off on the dash. If it happens on the weekend, you're screwed until Monday.

MBUSA, what the heck are you thinking?
RayWJr likes this.

Last edited by Aileron; 10-26-2014 at 11:51 PM. Reason: spelling error
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 06:11 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2008
Vehicle: 2006 ML350 4MATIC, 2014 C250
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Additional Bad News!

Most people lease these vehicles. Try getting more than 30K miles out of these tires before they need replacement. You will be putting a new set of tires on these cars before you turn them in at lease end. Also, an Extended Mobility Tire will cost more than a standard tire.
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 2015 C300 4Matic
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenzBob View Post
Additional Bad News!

Most people lease these vehicles. Try getting more than 30K miles out of these tires before they need replacement. You will be putting a new set of tires on these cars before you turn them in at lease end. Also, an Extended Mobility Tire will cost more than a standard tire.
Good points! Does anyone know how much they're charging for the wheel and tire coverage for the 2015? Seems like it's essential now.

By the way, you've also pointed out that some people might now be going for shorter term leases because of this issue although at my present driving rates, I would not put 30K on in three years. I prefer a two year lease anyway.
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 02:29 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Nov 2014
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I recently (September 2015) rented a C180 SW in Netherlands for almost 4 weeks. Loved the car but disappointed when I got a flat and looked in the boot to find all I had to get myself out of trouble was 4 high-visibility vests. Ended up driving into nearest town and had to wait whilst a new tyre was sent from nearest city. Cost was 155 euro.
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 10:49 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Mar 2008
Vehicle: 2012 GL 450 4Matic
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
This is because of the dreaded run flat tires. You would be surprised how many people have these removed at the dealer because they are so terrible and like you said you have to buy a second set of rims and tires for the snow. I am glad my 204 body has regular tires on it. Mercedes is not the only manufacturer doing this now. BMW, Kia, Hyundai to name a few.
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 08:47 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2007
Vehicle: 2013 C250
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Are owners finding these new run flats (or extended mobility is I think what they are now called) on new C-classes better than old crappy BMW run flats?

S.

2013 Mercedes C250 Sport package PLUS steel gray metallic/black
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium (+Ford Performance by Borla-Touring exhaust, etc.) white/black
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 08:31 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2014
Vehicle: 13 GLK350, 02 325, 94 sonoma, 12 RAM, 01 WS6
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
they drive and ride like any regular car to me.

the sidewall of these newer RFT don't seem to be a hard as the older BMW RFT I was installing 10 yrs ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W205 C-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in