LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: 1991 190e 2.6 automatic
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
C250 Tornado intercooler + charge pipe install with pics!

I wanted to upgrade the intercooler and pipes so that when I do a ECU tune in the near future, I will have good airflow to begin with. I got myself a Tornado Intercooler, and FTP charge pipes. All made from aluminum.

Here are some pics of the intercooler, size comparisons and the charge pipes.

The pipes come in black but I painted them the same blue as my engine cover. Too bad as during installation some pipes dropped by accident and got scratched. Oh well.

Bumper has to come off, cover underneath, both headlights, bumper beam , which both the horn and crash sensors are attached to, so those gotta come off too.

Unlike the RADO intercooler which forces you to slice a good portion of your aluminum bumper support off, with this intercooler I just had to shave off a tiny bit of plastic on both sides of the rad support frame ( yeah, new cars the rad support is made from plastic, for weight reduction ) and on the passenger side the aluminum beam I just had to cut a 2mm gap into the curved part where the intercooler weld sits. I actually cut more than I should have but nothing drastic like RADO. But basically the structural integrity is not compromised with this intercooler, which is one reason I wanted to buy it. Plus it's all aluminum which the stock one lacks in terms of longevity with plastic prone to cracking, especially if you are planning on making more power.

I was surprised taking this car apart, to discover how little metal there is up front. Literally everything is plastic, including the rad support. The only thing metal is the aluminium bumper support.

Also as you can see from the pics, my stock intercooler was bent ( I did not buy this car new and the car had some scratches underneath the front bumper ) so I guess the idiot who drove this before was a curb smacker.

There is also a plastic cover that a Air temperature sensor attaches to, that surrounds the intercooler. The sensor reads the incoming air. This cover will not fit with the new intercooler so the sensor will have to be zip tied . This is not a big deal IMO as I found a good way to attach it.

Anyways after finishing the job and starting up my car, it was idling fine and everything looked good initially. So I went for a test run.

As soon as I got on the street and pushed the gas a little bit, I noticed something is wrong. The RPM is going high, but the car is slower than a 96 Corolla. No check engine light or anything and no misfires. I was confused. It felt like the turbo was detached from the engine. So I went back into the garage and noticed on my old pipes there was a rubber gasket on each end of the pipe. This gasket has to be transferred to the new pipes as they don't come with a gasket installed.

After putting it in, the car was back to normal! Initial impressions are as follows.

Definitely more noise in the car, you can hear that the car is sucking more air in, and you can hear the motor more for some reason. The motor sounds much meaner to be honest. It will sound really good with a exhaust job.

Anyway, performance wise, initially I didn't feel MUCH difference, but noticed it pulled harder towards the redline. It felt like I gained more horsepower while torque didn't feel much different. But I drove it a bit more and I guess the ECU learned it can stretch the limits more so it became more preppy over the days. I took it on the highway and I was in 4th gear going 100km/h and accelerated hard until 160 and it felt really strong throughout. That's when I realized how hard it pulls. Then after a few days of driving, I can now feel the difference on the street too. It's fun to drive it in manual paddle mode.
So I cant wait to do a ECU tune or Piggy back. Overall i'm happy with my purchase and I believe it will last longer than the stock setup, plus gets more ponies, plus sounds a lot meaner!. Oh yea, the blow off valve is more noticeable too! Sounds sweet..

if you are interested in the intercooler and for pricing, write an email to

[email protected]
MB-SV, SKORPiO, DarkOps and 1 others like this.

Last edited by sranjesuper; 02-13-2016 at 05:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

(Thread Starter)
Just changed the plugs after being told it's good to change them as early as 40,000KM on these DI Turbo engines. I had the BERU plugs shipped from overseas as they are not available in Canada or America. Anyways, the plugs made a very noticeable difference and now with the intercooler setup, my car feels like its pushing at least 250HP and 270TQ or so. I advise anyone who has over 40,000KM to change your plugs, and if you can get the BERU ones from overseas. You will notice a difference. Now my car feels very potent and I giggle sometimes. The ECU tune will just make me giggle uncontrollably.

Last edited by sranjesuper; 02-13-2016 at 05:07 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 11:19 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2015
Vehicle: 2012 C250
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sranjesuper View Post
Just changed the plugs after being told it's good to change them as early as 40,000KM on these DI Turbo engines. I had the BERU plugs shipped from overseas as they are not available in Canada or America.
Do you have a part number on BERU plugs and gapping spec? And where you bought them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKORPiO View Post
Do you have a part number on BERU plugs and gapping spec? And where you bought them?
They are pre-gapped and I got them from the same guy that sells the intercooler. His email is in the thread in the first page
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 08:30 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2015
Vehicle: 2011 C300 4matic Sport
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Man that sounds like a lot of fun! Really enjoyed your detailed documentation! Hopefully you can post a video where we can hear the sound!
Let me know how the ECU tune goes!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 07:27 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Mar 2017
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Looks great I like the intercooler
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 09:14 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2016
Vehicle: 2014 C250 Sport Sedan
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Will this upgraded intercooler help my turbo last longer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W204 C-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in