BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Aug 2014
Vehicle: 2011 Mercendes Benz C300 4Matic
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Importing Vehicle Canada to USA

Noobie here.

I want to import a 2011 C300 from Canada to the USA. The car is my mothers and is in near perfect condition with very low mileage (hence why I am trying to go through this process instead of doing a CPO purchase locally).

Mercedes Benz Canada issued me a compliance letter but it states that the vehicle is equipped with a Tire Pressure Loss System (TPLS) and not a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS).

So the vehicle is not compliant for the USA standards/rules. [FMVSS #138]

They also stated that a retrofit kit is not available from Mercedes.

Does anyone know who can perform this type of conversion and if it is even possible?

I've contact 3 registered importers and all have told me I cannot import this vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 11:19 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Can we have the VIN of this car please?

If it needs TPMS retrofitted, it would be pretty simple in the sense that the W204 only has a simple wiring harness and one control unit instead of a much more complex system in older models with several antennas etc.

Version coding would be the difficult part. Contact Steve at MBenzNL - Home if you really need it solved.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 04:21 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Feb 2016
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz View Post
Can we have the VIN of this car please?

If it needs TPMS retrofitted, it would be pretty simple in the sense that the W204 only has a simple wiring harness and one control unit instead of a much more complex system in older models with several antennas etc.

Version coding would be the difficult part. Contact Steve at MBenzNL - Home if you really need it solved.
I have a similar problem importing my 2008 Mercedes Benz CLS 550 AMG with VIN # WDDDJ72X58A135892. The MB Compliance letter states the following:

"Aside from FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard) 101 related to the units/symbols used in the instrument cluster, according to my information your vehicle has a non-compliance with FMVSS #138 which relates to the tire pressure monitoring system, and FMVSS #208 which refers to the weight sensing system in the front passenger seat."

Please confirm whether the three issues can be solved and how much would it cost to do the alterations?
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 11:41 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Mar 2016
TPLS to TPMS convertion

I am having the same issue for my Canadian 2012 ML350 . Who can do this TPLS to TPMS conversion in the US or Canada?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 09:54 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: May 2016
I have 2011 C250 want to import to California with my relocation.

I am looking for a place to do TPMS retrofit too. I am from Toronto area and now in San Francisco area ( the car can still be imported temporarily for 1 year but can not register)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 07:32 AM
W163 Crash Test Driver

Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 2008 ML350 (Me!), 2010 GLK350 (Wife), 2003 ML-350 (Deceased)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by njoonju View Post
I have a similar problem importing my 2008 Mercedes Benz CLS 550 AMG with VIN # WDDDJ72X58A135892.
As an aside: Here is the PDF of your Datacard for your records. Sweet options!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WDDDJ72X58A135892.pdf (69.6 KB, 308 views)

Addicted Benz Modder, Devoted Father, Beekeeper, Maple Syrup Producer, Fun Lovin' Musician and Serious Boozer.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't be paranoid about posting your VIN. There is nothing anyone can do with it, except buy you car insurance."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 01:04 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jul 2016
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
hi there, i was wondering if you had a chance to fix this issue-(2 years ago moving from Canada to USA)?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 07:54 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planethill View Post
As an aside: Here is the PDF of your Datacard for your records. Sweet options!
Hi there,

Thank you for the data card. I see several references to "America". Does it mean that my vehicle can be imported to New York, USA? Do you know any place in New York where they can do the conversion from TPLS to TPMS and the front passenger seat conversion to reflect the weight sensing? If you have the information, please reply as soon as possible.

FYI: the VIN # is WDDDJ72X58A135892

Thanks a lot!

JI
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 07:56 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuel1981 View Post
hi there, i was wondering if you had a chance to fix this issue-(2 years ago moving from Canada to USA)?
Not yet.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 10:23 AM
W163 Crash Test Driver

Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 2008 ML350 (Me!), 2010 GLK350 (Wife), 2003 ML-350 (Deceased)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I see several references to "America". Does it mean that my vehicle can be imported to New York, USA?
It is all on the Mercedes.ca website HERE. According to the admissibility chart, all CLS models are admissible to the USA. You would start by requesting a letter of compliance, HERE.

Quote:
Do you know any place in New York where they can do the conversion from TPLS to TPMS and the front passenger seat conversion to reflect the weight sensing?
Sure. Any Mercedes dealer. Seriously, depending on your options, your tire sensor system may be compliant already as your vehicle is NOT on the attached list of "Canadian-Certified vehicles not originally manufactured with 1387-Compliant TPMS". If it turns out it isn't, it looks to me like you would just need to swap out the sensor module and not the tire sensors, which is an easy DIY.

I don't know what is involved with the seat sensor.

Also, I am no expert on this and only know what I have googled in the last 10 minutes so keep that in mind.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RI Newsletter No 50 TPMS.pdf (178.9 KB, 236 views)
njoonju likes this.

Addicted Benz Modder, Devoted Father, Beekeeper, Maple Syrup Producer, Fun Lovin' Musician and Serious Boozer.

"Don't be paranoid about posting your VIN. There is nothing anyone can do with it, except buy you car insurance."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W204 C-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in