LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 05:26 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jun 2017
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planethill View Post
It is all on the Mercedes.ca website HERE. According to the admissibility chart, all CLS models are admissible to the USA. You would start by requesting a letter of compliance, HERE.

Sure. Any Mercedes dealer. Seriously, depending on your options, your tire sensor system may be compliant already as your vehicle is NOT on the attached list of "Canadian-Certified vehicles not originally manufactured with 1387-Compliant TPMS". If it turns out it isn't, it looks to me like you would just need to swap out the sensor module and not the tire sensors, which is an easy DIY.

I don't know what is involved with the seat sensor.

Also, I am no expert on this and only know what I have googled in the last 10 minutes so keep that in mind.
We've requested compliance letters for our cars; GLK 2011, GL550 2011 & CLS 2012 - And no compliance letters to any of them even though our dealership said they would be willing to retrofit all 3 cars. We spent around 200K in 2013 for these cars and we are now moving back to the US. Needless to say, we are very disappointed. So the CLS information is incorrect as I have a letter of refusal to issue compliance for a 2012 CLS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 10:33 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Aug 2017
Vehicle: 2012 GL350
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi: I have the same problem with my 2012 GL350. We have moved to Venice Florida from Toronto and we cannot import this vehicle because of the lack of TPMS. (Non comply with #138) I would appreciate some advice if anyone has found a way to add TPMS successfully, for import. We love this vehicle and do not want to part with it. Thanks
JW
FYI VIN # is 4JGBF2FE2CA789896
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 12:26 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jan 2019
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't own a W204, but I do own a W164. Heres what I can tell you with my experience. First of all, call the NHSTA. If the W204 is anything like my ML, you can switch the units directly over to miles...I mean the whole speedometer. So that first part of the email they sent me is not true. Second, the NHSTA doesn't really care about the weight sensor. The only one they care about is the tire pressure sensors. There was someone earlier in this forum who said it is fairly simple to retrofit these into your Mercedes, thats true to an extent. The wiring harnesses are there, they just need control modules and sensors.

Lastly, know this, there is a good reason Mercedes Benz did not put TPMS sensors in Canadian Cars. It is the ONE THING that keeps you from being able to export the vehicle. That is exactly what they do not want, you to export the vehicle. The dealer will tell you till they are blue in the face that it is not possible, as will Mercedes Benz Canada for that very reason.

However, ask any dealer in the United States, and you will be surprised to hear that they will be able to assist you with that, or at least will be able to look into it. Have it done and certified in the US, then import the vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W204 C-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in