post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Looking to hear from other 4matic & c350 owners

Hey all

I recently bought a 2009 c350 sport 4matic loaded with only 20,000 miles and sold my 2007 c230 sport thinking I no longer have to worry about the possibility of balance shafts only to now wish I had not purchased a 4matic because they are almost as bad as the freakin balance shafts . I bought my c350 from a Land Rover dealer and it had 13 days left on the factory warranty which expires today but I took it in yesterday and had some minor issues fixed like the squealing mirror and the wheel centre caps had minor pitting .

I was offered extended aftermarket warranty but for the most part they are terrible and they wanted $4500 for an add't 3 yrs and 40,000 miles which would only bring me to 60,000 . I figured what are the chances I will experience that much repair cost in 3 years

I thought I did my research on the c350 but now come across the transfer case problems .... Ugh, not another car to friggen fear. I got a good deal and had I known there were issues I would not have bought a 4matic but I really wanted a c350 sport .. Too late now I guess .

The way I found out was I was in sitting at the dealer getting the warranty items looked at and I asked the service advisor about the reliability of the c350 and he said they are pretty good so I go sit to wait and another c350 owner strolls in to have a ticking noise looked at and I thought maybe fuel pump vent issue like on the c230 but the advisor comes over and I listen in and they say its the transfer case and it needs to be replaced and I grab my phone and google it and all these posts come up and I was like crap . My warranty ends today and I didn't buy extended because Mercedes won't even honor it and make you pay up front and try to get the money back from the warranty company which could be a nitemare. The cost for the transfer case could well exceed $7000 and I read some have had more than 1 failure in a 40,000 mile period

I would like to hear from other 4matic and c350 owners about how their cars have been especially those with lots of miles . Would you even own a 4matic without a warranty? I like the car but now thinking of getting rid of it

Thx all

Last edited by 07Mercedessport; 08-10-2013 at 05:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 08:40 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2012
Vehicle: 2015 GLK350 4M, 2013 250 Luxury
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I think the reason it's so expensive and troublesome is because the car doesn't have a separate transfer case. It's inside the transmission...so when it goes you have to replace the 4MATIC system and the transmission.

Now....does doing transmission fluid changes every 39k miles help prolong the transfer case components? Who knows....
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 10:23 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2008
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I don't think there are any particular issues with the 4matic. It's been around for years.

Google problems with any car and you will get negative responses. Mostly from people who are ignorant about how things should work or simply abuse them and then blame the car. Or trolls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 08:09 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2011
Vehicle: 2008 Mercedes-Benz C230 4MATIC; 2010 Mazda 3 GS
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our 2008 4MATIC (C230) has 54,000km and everything is fine so far. Knock on wood.

We haven't done tranny flush yet either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W204 C-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in