Mercedes-Benz Forum

Mercedes-Benz Forum (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/)
-   W204 C-Class (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w204-c-class/)
-   -   Reserve fuel (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w204-c-class/1533169-reserve-fuel.html)

mbnewguy 07-22-2010 07:47 AM

Reserve fuel

how far do you guys get once the gas light comes on?
(08 c300 4matic)

I have ran out of gas a few times latley, and am trying to see if this is normal or not. Literally within >10 miles of the gas light coming on the car dies and runs out of gas....it doesnt matter how much i baby it to conserve gas.

On my old audi i coudl get a solid 40 miles atleast until it ran out of gas, but this thing basically gives you ZERO warning.

Any input?

thanks

Ron Jr 07-22-2010 09:26 AM

I don't let my tank go below 1/4, heard of to many W204s running out of gas when the reserve light goes on.

absolutleo 07-22-2010 09:30 AM

you must be driving very spirited...
it should be about 2 gallons of gas left once the reserve fuel message comes up.

mbnewguy 07-22-2010 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Jr (Post 4252596)
I don't let my tank go below 1/4, heard of to many W204s running out of gas when the reserve light goes on.

i figured...it even ran out of gas on my test drive

saurey 07-22-2010 04:31 PM

You can get an estimate of how many miles you have left on the trip display on the speedometer, however I deduce that it isn't accurate. It'll say 30, then tick down to 15 very quickly, then back up etc.. I hit reserve, I get gas as soon as possible. Never ran out myself.

-H

madbenz 07-22-2010 05:40 PM

So do you live like 500 miles from the nearest gas station? Why the heck would anyone run out of fuel so regularly? There is a gauge, right? FILL UP BEFORE IT READS EMPTY. :surrender:

mbnewguy 07-23-2010 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madbenz (Post 4253266)
So do you live like 500 miles from the nearest gas station? Why the heck would anyone run out of fuel so regularly? There is a gauge, right? FILL UP BEFORE IT READS EMPTY. :surrender:

I mean its a new thing to me that cars have gas gauges... i never knew..and if you developed basic literacy skills you would know that in my origional post i was asking how far people are able to drive with their gas light on..HENCE my issue is that i can be pulling into my driveway and the gas light will just then turn on, and i will proceed to get gas next time i leave the house BUT wont even make it 3 miles to the gas station.

AND the gas light comes on halfway inbetween the 1/4 mark and zero mark so why would any car run out of gas when the gague is still showing that much gas in the tank?

I guess that i will just have to not let the car go below a half tank

Ron Jr 07-23-2010 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbnewguy (Post 4254190)
I mean its a new thing to me that cars have gas gauges... i never knew..and if you developed basic literacy skills you would know that in my origional post i was asking how far people are able to drive with their gas light on..HENCE my issue is that i can be pulling into my driveway and the gas light will just then turn on, and i will proceed to get gas next time i leave the house BUT wont even make it 3 miles to the gas station.

AND the gas light comes on halfway inbetween the 1/4 mark and zero mark so why would any car run out of gas when the gague is still showing that much gas in the tank?

I guess that i will just have to not let the car go below a half tank

Tell this to your SA at your next service, maybe you have a faulty or sticking sensor. In the late '70s I had a Mustang it's fuel gauge never went below 1/4, it just stopped there so I was always very careful when fuel was running low.

madbenz 07-23-2010 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Jr (Post 4254301)
Tell this to your SA at your next service, maybe you have a faulty or sticking sensor. In the late '70s I had a Mustang it's fuel gauge never went below 1/4, it just stopped there so I was always very careful when fuel was running low.

Agreed. I'd be curious to know if your "consumption" screen said you still had "X miles to go" on that tank and what that "X" was when you actually ran out of fuel. Hmmm....

I am Jeff 07-23-2010 03:33 PM

I have run my car to the lights on and I can say that the guage is pretty reliable. Once the light goes on, it has about 2 gallons left in the tank. I have gotten the on screen Miles to empty gauge to 8 miles till empty.