post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 09:11 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: 2007 W204 C280/C300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by C300HE View Post
I think my noise is from upper center dash. How hard is to pop the center speaker mesh out? Can I just pull it straight upwards?
Just use a prying tool to remove the speaker from its corners. Just do it gently but may need a little force to get it out. Be careful not to scratch your dashboard though.

This is how it looks when the speaker cover is removed. You'll notice I put felt in some areas already to prevent it from making noises.

Last edited by albert101; 07-18-2011 at 09:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 08:09 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2012
Vehicle: 2008 C300 Sport
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
How would you remove the dash speaker covers on the left and right side? Would you recommend that tool you used earlier or just a simple prying tool to get it out? I have this really annoying ticking coming from the drivers side and you can hear it by tapping the dash.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 11:54 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Vehicle: 2008 C350
Sunroof

For the sunroof i bought some dielectric grease in a can with a included tube and greased up all the rails and anything I could find that looked like it had travel. Both noises i had went away, one when the roof was closed which was a squeek on rough roads and a rattle when the sunroof was tilted. The dielectric grease is really tackie so it's perfect for the sunroof, it's clear and odorless. 2008 c350 panoramic roof
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 07:09 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2010
@albert101: Truly fanatic posts on creaks and noises, your dedication is admired.

Curious about where your W204 was manufactured? What is your VIN? The 11th digit of the VIN number indicates plant of manufacture, maybe this has something to do with the fit and finish leading to creaks and rattles (A-E is Sindelfingen Germany, F-H is Bremen Germany, R is South Africa).
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 08:12 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Vehicle: 2008 C350
F so Bremen Germany. There are two other things that make noise sometimes which is the roof liner between the two moon roofs which just needs some felt but I haven't had time to do it and the rear sun shade rattles with the bass but usually stops by just popping it open an inch and closing it again, probably needs some felt. Lastly the trunk squeaked when opening and I fixed that with some silicon lube on the hinges.

(side notes: I also took apart, cleaned and lubed the side mirror hinges (i have the auto folding ones) with wd40 because they folded kind of hard. I have a hard TC engagement (i think) because there is a abnormal "bump" i can feel at 10 or 30 mph when starting from a stop depending on how much i press the gas and only at 30 from a roll. Took it to the dealer (twice) and they said they don't know how to fix it or what is causing it. Last thing is the IR window on the driver's side door handle, plastic started turning white from sun so I just cleaned it with some alcohol and put some clear touch-up paint on it.) sorry for thread crashing just looking for answers
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 12:54 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2013
Vehicle: E250 CGI
Creaking/ticking sound coming from the instrument cluster exterior plastic trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert101 View Post
I have a lot of interior sounds as well. It's been a painful and slow process eliminating one sound at a time. I was able to eliminate quite a few already. So far here's what I got.

1. Creaking sound coming from the instrument cluster - I traced this to the plastic housing of the instrument cluster. The housing is essentially two pieces of plastic held together by a screw. This screw also is what secures the instrument cluster to the dashboard of the car. Due to a design flaw, in time, this screw that holds the cluster in place will loosen up and cause the two plastic housing parts to rub against each other causing the creaking sound. I removed the cluster, pulled apart the two housing pieces and literally super glued them together. The sound went away and never came back!

2. Creaking/ticking sound coming from the instrument cluster exterior plastic trim - this one really got me for a while since I couldn't tell if the sound was coming from the instrument cluster itself or from the plastic exterior trim that covers the corners of the instrument cluster. I only was able to finally figure out this was also a culprit of noises once I super glued the instrument cluster. Since the instrument cluster wasn't making any noises anymore, it was obvious that the noise was coming from the plastic cover trim. I then proceeded to strategically place felt on key places of the trim. I also placed felt on the inner portion of the dashboard where plastic trim and dashboard meet. I couldn't take a picture of it anymore since it was at such an odd angle but here are pictures of the felt on the trim.

I later found out that on the 2008 and up models of the C class, the trim already has felt placed by the factory. But I still seemed to have needed more felt for my car in order to stop the noise completely.

I then reinstalled the trim and the sound went away.

3. Ticking sound coming from the center console - I literally took everything in the center console out of the dashboard and by process of elimination, I was able to pinpoint the sound coming from behind the COMMAND screen.

I then proceeded to yank out the COMMAND screen and low and behold, behind it, I found a cable that moves up against it's plastic housing. I played around with it, moved it around and true enough, it made the exact same sound that I've been hearing.

I also was able to take pictures of this DIY so here's a shot of the cable that I'm talking about behind the COMMAND screen. I pulled it out of its housing but when reinstalled back in the the dash, the cable is supposed to be flush inside the housing.

I then proceeded to wrap the cable with felt tape (sorry I don't have a picture for this, was too excited to have discovered the source of the rattle) and put everything back together. I then took the car out for a spin and true enough, I couldn't hear the ticking anymore and I still don't hear it anymore.

Just for kicks, here's a shot of everything in the center dash removed.

There is also a creaking/ticking sound coming from the plastic housing of the COMMAND screen itself. Like the instrument cluster, the housing for the COMMAND screen is held together by two half pieces of plastic. This eventually will rub against each other when driving over rough roads and will start to make noises in time. I didn't bother fixing this anymore as it required for me to literally pull apart the screen's housing and most likely I'd have to super glue them together to prevent them from rubbing against each other. I'm afraid I might damage the screen and opted not to do it anymore. Plus the sound seems to go away when the screen is in the closed position.

4. Ticking sound coming from the A-pillar - stuffed foam inside the cover and sound went away.

5. Rattle coming from the center console where the gear shift is - I removed the trim surrounding the gear shifter and took the car for a spin. The sound was gone so I was able to narrow it down to the trim causing the sound. When I took a closer look at the trim, I notice that it's held in place inside the center console by friction by clips. The clips have come loose and were moving around. When you shake the trim on its own, you will hear the clips rattle around. I figured this might be causing the trim to loosen up when driving so I super glued the clips and for good measure, I placed felt all around the corners of the trim, to make sure it's a real snug fit when placed back in the center console. Reinstalled the trim and the sound went away. Sorry, I don't have any pictures for this one.

6. Ratting coming from interior trim surrounding the AC controls - this one was fairly simple. I removed the trim and placed felt all around the corners of the trim. Made the fitment real snug and the sound went away as well.

7. Rattle coming from interior trim on door - for this I removed the door trim, took out the side panel and inserted felt between the trim and door panel. I re-tightened up the screws holding the trim together and the sound went away. There is a inherent design flaw here where the screws Mercedes used to hold the trim in place doesn't secure it properly. Here's a shot of the screws.

I'm not to sure what kind of screws those are but they really don't work! They don't tighten at all. My theory is that they're designed to break off in an event of a side impact so the interior trim breaks off as once piece and doesn't splinter and kill you?

Here's a shot of the door panel with the felt placed in order to give the trim a snug fit.

I also put felt on the trim itself to make sure it stays.

8. Rattle coming from center speaker - I removed the center speaker and placed felt to push up against the speaker. Sound went away. Here's a picture of the felt in place.

9. Creaking sound coming from the black plastic trim on door, between the window and rubber seal for the door - this was solved by removing the black plastic trim and laying felt all over the inner portion of the plastic trim. Reinstalled the trim, looked a little puffy, but the sound went away. Sorry, I don't have pictures of this one either but I only did one door for my car and I will take pictures when I do the other three doors.

Now on to sounds I currently hear and I'm still working on trying to find out where they're coming from.

1. A series of ticking sounds coming from the rear interior of the car - Most likely from the rear ceiling or umbrella shelf. Seems to just happen randomly, when stopped or when moving. Happens intermittently so its hard to determine where its coming from.

2. Ticking sound coming from the rear view mirror area - Mostly happens when on rough roads. I believe it's coming from the base of the housing of the rear view mirror.

3. Creaking sound coming from the passenger front seat - I've read online that this could be a loose screw underneath the seat. I have yet to look into this and will do so the next time I get the chance work on my car.

4. Rattle coming from the left and right front speaker cover on the dashboard - This is the long thin cover on both corners of my dashboard.

5. Ticking sound coming from the sun roof - not sure about this one. I'm scared to touch the sun roof though so I'll just leave this one to the dealers. Though I'm quite certain it's a long shot that they might be able to fix it.

Hope this helps! If you have any possible solutions for the sounds I still have and where they're coming from, please let me know. Would appreciate any help. Thanks!
To whom it may concern.

First i would like to really thank you since this post is really helpful.
I have the same cricket sound coming from the instrument cluster exterior plastic trim. Do you have any instructions that shows how to remove that.
In addition i hear a cricket sound from the back of my car where the back window is did you phase any similar sound.

Thank you in advance,
Louis
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 04:23 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 2010 C200 CGI /W203/SLK230/W202/230E/280SE
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Dedicated bit of work Albert - thank you.

Renewed my pollen filter yesterday and lubed every contact surface of the 'difficult to remove' plastic panel (3 screws) with a thin smear of silicone grease - fewer creaks now.

Oberoi
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 01:51 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Nov 2011
Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domm View Post
How would you remove the dash speaker covers on the left and right side? Would you recommend that tool you used earlier or just a simple prying tool to get it out? I have this really annoying ticking coming from the drivers side and you can hear it by tapping the dash.
Hi there I know its a while ago but did anyone tell you how to remove the 2 mesh pieces on top of the dash? I have a terribly annoying rattle noise coming from on top of the dash by the windscreen and its driving me MAD.

I want to remove the long pieces of mesh to see if anything is in there rattling, is it just a case of getting a screw drive and prizing them open from the front? i dont want to damage anything and id rather live with it than break anything but its so annoying.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 11:30 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jul 2016
Also: check this screw. Mine was almost falling out, made the hole dash squeak in bumps and when pushed down by hand. It's under the center-speaker
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14698168429022050162685_1469816869741.jpg
Views:	841
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	1940881  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W204 C-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in