LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Oct 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Oil Change

I have a 2008 C300. I drive local distances a lot. Less that 1K a month. I am from an old school thought that even with the Synthetic oil, you would change it every 5K. But the manual recommends a much higher miles (I can't recall...something around 12K I want to say.)

Does it work better for the engine if I changed it at 5K?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 04:14 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2009
Vehicle: 2006 ML500 Black/Black
The service manager at my local MB dealer told me to only have my oil change done when I come in for routine maintanace, and that they actually do not recommend just single oil changes. Kinda strange.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 04:44 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: '01-E320 & 02-ST2
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
syniu, dealers will always recommend that. The alpha services include oil changes, but they include other things including inspections. Lots of people just get oil changes and never do the inspections, then things break. You don't have to pay dealer prices for the inspections, but they do have to be done either by you or someone else.

mjavadi, I would simply do it when the FSS says to or annually. There is a decent body of knowledge suggesting that changing your oil too frequently can increase engine wear. Trust the FSS.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 04:57 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: 2008 C230 4MATIC; 2008 ML320 CDI 4MATIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs210 View Post
syniu, dealers will always recommend that. The alpha services include oil changes, but they include other things including inspections. Lots of people just get oil changes and never do the inspections, then things break. You don't have to pay dealer prices for the inspections, but they do have to be done either by you or someone else.

mjavadi, I would simply do it when the FSS says to or annually. There is a decent body of knowledge suggesting that changing your oil too frequently can increase engine wear. Trust the FSS.

Greg
Greg, I don't think that the W204 actually comes with an FSS. It has the ASSYST, which seems to have pre-set service intervals, and not flexible as the older models had.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
All right guys...I hear you and it does make sense on some level. It is just counter intuitive But I know what you mean about wear and tear. I know that I damaged my spark plug cable on one of my first cars when I was changing the spark plugs too often. To be honest, I have not even tried to check the dip stick and see the oil quality. That is one indicator for me.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 05:09 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: '01-E320 & 02-ST2
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjavadi View Post
All right guys...I hear you and it does make sense on some level. It is just counter intuitive But I know what you mean about wear and tear. I know that I damaged my spark plug cable on one of my first cars when I was changing the spark plugs too often. To be honest, I have not even tried to check the dip stick and see the oil quality. That is one indicator for me.
You may be in for a surprise, I don't think your car has an oil dipstick, the level is checked through the cluster display menus. Check your owners' manual to be sure.

In the case of oil it's not something you're damaging while doing it, but rather then chemicals and additives that provide longevity and are designed to "break down" over time. As they break down lubrication improves, but if you change it out too soon you never hit that point. I'm neither a chemist nor a metallurgist, so I just take them at their word ... although I agree at first blush it seems counter intuitive.

Greg

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 06:58 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: 2008 C230 4MATIC; 2008 ML320 CDI 4MATIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs210 View Post
You may be in for a surprise, I don't think your car has an oil dipstick, the level is checked through the cluster display menus. Check your owners' manual to be sure.
Nope, W204 comes with a dipstick. And it doesn't have an oil check in the cluster either.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 07:25 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2007
Vehicle: C 230 2008 7 Speed, Silver
If there are any Tribologists reading or monitoring this forum, I would be grateful for references to the additional wear caused by changing engine oil too frequently.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 11:34 PM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 2008 C350 and a Lightning.
That's silly.
Change your oil when you feel it's necessary, and that can depend on how and where your car is driven.
I plan on keeping mine for some time after it is paid off so I am changing mine every 5,000 miles. That whole 10,000/13,000 mile oil change thing is just MB's way of making the cost of maintenance look more economical (imho).
If you drive these cars hard, they rev pretty high. Your comment about looking at your oil on the dip stick is right on. If it looks dirty and seems to be loosing viscosity, change it.

If anyone has valid info that changing your oil too frequently can cause dammage to your engine, I'd like to see it.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
I agree. The oil will break down if you just leave it in the car standing and you drive 5000 year! I will probably do 5K or once ever 6Mon. There is a dip stick and I will rely on the old touching the oil with 2 fingers

Thanks for all the comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W204 C-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in