BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tonOfun View Post
That's silly.
Change your oil when you feel it's necessary, and that can depend on how and where your car is driven.
I plan on keeping mine for some time after it is paid off so I am changing mine every 5,000 miles. That whole 10,000/13,000 mile oil change thing is just MB's way of making the cost of maintenance look more economical (imho).
If you drive these cars hard, they rev pretty high. Your comment about looking at your oil on the dip stick is right on. If it looks dirty and seems to be loosing viscosity, change it.

If anyone has valid info that changing your oil too frequently can cause dammage to your engine, I'd like to see it.
The 10 000/13 000 miles service period is making service more economical than more frequent service periods would do, still almost twice as frequent as that for European cars (2 years/about 19 000 miles). This shows that modern engine oil can easily handle the official US service period, the Euro one and actually more.

Your cars and you can do what you want but I would save the money for some other maintenance for the car.

I'm no oil expert but those who are explain that oil additives are built to activate only once the engine oil reaches running temperatures. It takes some time before all get full power. This means that the engine faces additional wear first from the fact that you run it with low oil for a short while after the oil change (before the filter and pipes get filled up) but more importantly the oil performance is initially lower than say after 1000 miles. 5000 miles service period should not be harmful but nothing better than 10 000 miles (assume normal driving, not just very short trips). A bit useless to discuss this because those who change oil every 3000 miles have a firm opinion from dino oil experience and nothing can change their mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 10:12 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2008
Vehicle: 2008 C350 and a Lightning.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz View Post
The 10 000/13 000 miles service period is making service more economical than more frequent service periods would do, still almost twice as frequent as that for European cars (2 years/about 19 000 miles). This shows that modern engine oil can easily handle the official US service period, the Euro one and actually more.

Your cars and you can do what you want but I would save the money for some other maintenance for the car.

I'm no oil expert but those who are explain that oil additives are built to activate only once the engine oil reaches running temperatures. It takes some time before all get full power. This means that the engine faces additional wear first from the fact that you run it with low oil for a short while after the oil change (before the filter and pipes get filled up) but more importantly the oil performance is initially lower than say after 1000 miles. 5000 miles service period should not be harmful but nothing better than 10 000 miles (assume normal driving, not just very short trips). A bit useless to discuss this because those who change oil every 3000 miles have a firm opinion from dino oil experience and nothing can change their mind.

Although it may be useless to discuss this, I will since this is a forum and created for just that, discussion.
There is no way your going to convince me that changing the oil more frequently can cause any harm. On initial start up, after an oil change you should reach proper oil pressure within a matter of seconds and reach oil temp in just a few miles depending on driving style and outside temps.
I've been using full synthetic oil in high performance engines for many years and the one thing I have learned is that the lubrication properties of these oils are so good compaired to conventional oil that we would usually use conventional oil durring a break in period because the synthetic would not allow for propper ring seating. But, that's not to say that they will not break down. If you compare (synth) oil that has been run in a motor for 4-5k miles to oil that has been run 10-13k miles. I will guarantee that there will be a big difference in viscosity break down.
All this being said, I just like to work on my cars and will change my own oil twice as often then the dealers recomended intervals for much less money and more peace of mind.
But I guess time will tell if there is truely a benefit.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 11:52 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Although it may be useless to discuss this, I will since this is a forum and created for just that, discussion.
There is no way your going to convince me that changing the oil more frequently can cause any harm. On initial start up, after an oil change you should reach proper oil pressure within a matter of seconds and reach oil temp in just a few miles depending on driving style and outside temps.
I've been using full synthetic oil in high performance engines for many years and the one thing I have learned is that the lubrication properties of these oils are so good compaired to conventional oil that we would usually use conventional oil durring a break in period because the synthetic would not allow for propper ring seating. But, that's not to say that they will not break down. If you compare (synth) oil that has been run in a motor for 4-5k miles to oil that has been run 10-13k miles. I will guarantee that there will be a big difference in viscosity break down.
All this being said, I just like to work on my cars and will change my own oil twice as often then the dealers recomended intervals for much less money and more peace of mind.
I did not mean discussion would not be allowed. But your post confirms it is almost useless. Well, I already said I'm no engine oil expert, I'm referring to the posts from real experts, backed up with oil analysis data. If I read a chart, that matters a lot more than I assume my word would mean to you (or your word to me, although I see you appear to be an expert).

But in my opinion your post does not even claim modern oil being best just after oil change, you just say it is very good which I would easily agree. Then you say viscosity breaks down, eventually no doubt about it but when I've seen data for 60 000 km periods, it does not sound anything severe within 30 000 km (I assume no track driving or similar).

I should have searched posts that I'm referring to but I doubt it would help a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 12:48 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2007
Vehicle: 2013 C250
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:

Liking to work on cars and wasting oil are 2 separate things IMHO.

Time will tell, but most likely it won't be one of us, since we won't own the car long enough.

S.

2013 Mercedes C250 Sport package PLUS steel gray metallic/black
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium (+Ford Performance by Borla-Touring exhaust, etc.) white/black
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 01:52 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz View Post

I should have searched posts that I'm referring to but I doubt it would help a lot.
Well, yes it would help. I am very open to any proven data and I have never claimed to be an expert in the field. I'm just speaking from personal experiance. No big deal really. I just haven't seen anything that tells me these motors are some how different from other V6's or that Mobil1 is now able to go twice as long without breakdown.
As far as wasting oil, an oil change every 5,000 miles or so is not a waste of oil.
Changing the oil every 13,000 miles feels like abuse to me. But hey, that's just me.

A good topic of discussion. I will take it to some other forums and see what people think.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 07:50 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: 2008 C230 4MATIC; 2008 ML320 CDI 4MATIC
Quote:
Well, yes it would help. I am very open to any proven data and I have never claimed to be an expert in the field. I'm just speaking from personal experiance. No big deal really. I just haven't seen anything that tells me these motors are some how different from other V6's or that Mobil1 is now able to go twice as long without breakdown.
As far as wasting oil, an oil change every 5,000 miles or so is not a waste of oil.
Changing the oil every 13,000 miles feels like abuse to me. But hey, that's just me.

A good topic of discussion. I will take it to some other forums and see what people think.
Mobil1 or not Mobil1, but sounds like you are stuck in the non-synthetic oil world. I had an E320 with over 100,000 km on it for almost 3 years, changed oil on it when the FSS asked me too and never had any issues. I think that the oil break-down does depend on your personal style of driving, and if you are constantly pushing your car to 6500-7000 rpm, you should be changing your oil more frequently than Merc recommends. But if you don't have the need to rev the engine this high (which is likely unless you are racing or don't know how to drive), 10,000-12,000 mile change intervals will do no harm to your vehicle.

Just my 2 cents. Actually, no, just 1 cent - can't afford the other cent anymore.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 12:06 AM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by one.bofh View Post
Mobil1 or not Mobil1, but sounds like you are stuck in the non-synthetic oil world. I had an E320 with over 100,000 km on it for almost 3 years, changed oil on it when the FSS asked me too and never had any issues. I think that the oil break-down does depend on your personal style of driving, and if you are constantly pushing your car to 6500-7000 rpm, you should be changing your oil more frequently than Merc recommends. But if you don't have the need to rev the engine this high (which is likely unless you are racing or don't know how to drive), 10,000-12,000 mile change intervals will do no harm to your vehicle.

Just my 2 cents. Actually, no, just 1 cent - can't afford the other cent anymore.
No, as I have stated, I have been using synthetic oils for a long time now and actually I do push the car to redline BECAUSE I Do know how to drive.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 09:53 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 2008 C350 - Multimedia Package
I had a Mitsubishi galant before I had this car. I only used Mobile 1 and the mobile 1 oil filter. I changed my oil about every 8K miles. I did the usual; spark plug changes every 30K, air filter when I did the oil yadda yadda yadda. I never had one single "engine" related issue. I had other issues with the intake manifold, but that does not really have much to do with oil I don’t think. Anyway, when I bought my 350, I sold my mitsi to a friend of mine whose daughter needed a car. It had about 225K miles on it, a very slight tick but still ran strong. I can say that it's still on the road today, in the hands of a teenager so I'm sure it's being driven harder than I ever drove it. I don't drive my cars too awfully hard most of the time. I do tend to keep my car for long periods of time and I intend on letting the dealer do my services until the warranty expires on it. I got the 100,000K extended. I'll put that on in 4-5 years. So I will be a good test bed to see how well it does with the recommended maintenance schedule. I'll keep yall posted.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 04:41 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: w204 (C350ELE)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjavadi View Post
I agree. The oil will break down if you just leave it in the car standing and you drive 5000 year! I will probably do 5K or once ever 6Mon. There is a dip stick and I will rely on the old touching the oil with 2 fingers

Thanks for all the comments.
The best time to change the oil is at 3 AM. Only problem both times I tried I got very distracted and ended up in the hospital after drinking part of the oil removed.

NOW SERIOUSLY: If you check your owner' manual, you'll find that MB recommends changing engine oil every 10Kmiles or once a year. It also recommends only oil approved for MB229.5 specification. Mobil 1 comes in several varieties, one of which is 0W40 and labeled approved under MB229.5. This is the only Mobil 1 to use. Also, it takes a fleece filter element, which has a smaller filtering pore and more trash carrying capacities than paper ones. It used to be that, several years ago, only with big molecule compounds could synthetic oils be economically stabilized for a viscosity curve flat enough to pour at acceptable levels in the winter (cold starts) and summer (hot running) engine modes. Now one year is an acceptable life for this synthetic. Changing oil and filter more often is a waste of money.

The finger test on synthetic oil is not to be trusted. Oil darkens as it burns, or takes white cloudy aspect when water seeps thru. Meanwhile, particles get trapped in the filter. But the only reliable test of the oil condition is an analysis in a test lab.

This is the info, now it's up to you to do what you wish.

Last edited by JoeVal; 03-12-2009 at 04:51 PM.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 03:15 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Sep 2008
ANYONE here that thinks chaning your oil TOO OFTEN hurts the engine YOU ARE NUTS!!!
Think about it!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W204 C-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in