Universal Media Interface or Nav for C-Class w/out Multimedia Available Soon - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 04:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2007
Vehicle: 2013 C250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Good (and very recent) news. My dealership wasn't aware of this just 2 weeks ago. I wonder how much labor will be required for installation.

S.

2013 Mercedes C250 Sport package PLUS steel gray metallic/black
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium (+Ford Performance by Borla-Touring exhaust, etc.) white/black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 09:52 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edm17el View Post
I
"We are going to contact Mercedes-Benz in Toronto and find out what is involved in installing this kit and what is in the kit. The price for the kit is $1995.00. I will let you know once I have more information."
Sounds expensive, even this eBay price is a bit high:
eBay: universal media interface, Auto-Hi-Fi Navigation
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 08:38 PM
VD$
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2008
Vehicle: GL350BTC
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It costs as much as 7" MM screen with NAV. I think this is too much for the upgrade. Garmin may be a better option for less money and more features.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 10:59 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2004
Vehicle: 2008 c350, 2004 c240
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd wait for the next generation comand. I hope they offer that in a retrofit kit.
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 11:25 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
I'd wait for the next generation comand. I hope they offer that in a retrofit kit.
MyComand? 5 years, 10 years?
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 05:47 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jul 2007
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Apparently the kit does not integrate into the existing speaker system in the car, so you would be using the external speaker provided. That kinda bugs me.
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 07:27 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by C7nuru View Post
Apparently the kit does not integrate into the existing speaker system in the car, so you would be using the external speaker provided. That kinda bugs me.
I asked this on another thread where you had this same comment. I'll repeat since you did not respond there and my understanding is that your understanding isn't right, unless I'm mistaken.

The telematics brochure explains that one can navigate the content of your consumer devices using the Audio 20 CD's display and controls. The brochure does not mention car speakers being used but to me it is too obvious to be mentioned. If they have this level of intelligence, it would be absolute strange if they did not use the audio interface too.

One of the main tasks is to play music through BT streaming or MP3 players. Would that be from a tiny speaker on the UMI box or would it need a set of separate speakers and an amplifier? This really cannot be the case. Who on earth gave you this info?

Edited: more info here: http://www.mercedes-benz.de/content/...ebspecial.html

Last edited by Diesel Benz; 01-03-2009 at 08:03 AM.
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 05:57 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz View Post
I asked this on another thread where you had this same comment. I'll repeat since you did not respond there and my understanding is that your understanding isn't right, unless I'm mistaken.

The telematics brochure explains that one can navigate the content of your consumer devices using the Audio 20 CD's display and controls. The brochure does not mention car speakers being used but to me it is too obvious to be mentioned. If they have this level of intelligence, it would be absolute strange if they did not use the audio interface too.

One of the main tasks is to play music through BT streaming or MP3 players. Would that be from a tiny speaker on the UMI box or would it need a set of separate speakers and an amplifier? This really cannot be the case. Who on earth gave you this info?

Edited: more info here: Mercedes-Benz Deutschland - Zubehör - Universal Media Interface Webspecial

DB, I just reviewed "AZ82.85-P-0004-02CY", which are the MBz instructions for retrofitting the UMI harness, and it does indicate that it connects directly to the center instrument panel speaker. however it apparently (according to the Techs at our local dealers out here), use the existing speakers and interrupt the radio audio in favor of the Nav audio, like it worked on my C230. I actually did respond on the other thread. However here is a pic of the Retrofit instructions page.

Now I could be misinterpreting what the tech said, but it did seem that a connection to the speaker or a separate speaker was required. Now maybe the interface does interrupt the radio audio and just provides the Nav output to the center instrument panel speake, and that would be fine, but I am uncertain of that at this point.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UMI_Retrofit.jpg
Views:	2373
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	213662  

Last edited by C7nuru; 01-04-2009 at 06:00 AM.
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 06:55 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by C7nuru View Post
DB, I just reviewed "AZ82.85-P-0004-02CY", which are the MBz instructions for retrofitting the UMI harness, and it does indicate that it connects directly to the center instrument panel speaker. however it apparently (according to the Techs at our local dealers out here), use the existing speakers and interrupt the radio audio in favor of the Nav audio, like it worked on my C230. I actually did respond on the other thread. However here is a pic of the Retrofit instructions page.

Now I could be misinterpreting what the tech said, but it did seem that a connection to the speaker or a separate speaker was required. Now maybe the interface does interrupt the radio audio and just provides the Nav output to the center instrument panel speake, and that would be fine, but I am uncertain of that at this point.
Hi, thanks for being persistent with this issue, I believe you are right after all (no surprise to you).

The unit must be using the AUX connector instead of fibre for MP3 playback? It does look like the device is using the centre speaker for navigation announcements. It does sound odd at first thought but I can think of technical reasons for that now.

The centre speaker is only part of 810 or 359, I guess it would have to be installed on a basic Audio 20 car that does not have sound system audio?

I'm still not sure if this UMI makes more sense than buying (hopefully) a cheap Comand unit from eBay. Comand would give voice control too, I'm not that worried about the small display for navigation.

Thanks again about the additional info.
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 08:34 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz View Post
Hi, thanks for being persistent with this issue, I believe you are right after all (no surprise to you).

The unit must be using the AUX connector instead of fibre for MP3 playback? It does look like the device is using the centre speaker for navigation announcements. It does sound odd at first thought but I can think of technical reasons for that now.

The centre speaker is only part of 810 or 359, I guess it would have to be installed on a basic Audio 20 car that does not have sound system audio?

I'm still not sure if this UMI makes more sense than buying (hopefully) a cheap Comand unit from eBay. Comand would give voice control too, I'm not that worried about the small display for navigation.

Thanks again about the additional info.
I do have a concern that it might be better than trying to go the challenging route, but at the prices i am finding for the UMI ($1700) and installation (~$400). I think that I can come in well under that by buying parts and installing myself (provided I take my time). Voice Control is another thing that I am looking to add, so Comand is the way to go for that - brings up a question - where is the microphone for the voice control? is that built into the Comand Deck?

Center Audio speaker - I am not sure if that is already there in my car or not, will check next week. Probably is not as the kit i have seen has that speaker

Thanks for the link to the display.

Last edited by C7nuru; 01-04-2009 at 08:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W204 C-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in