Seeking some real-world PDA / Bluetooth compatibility advice - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: 2007 BMW 750i, 2007 ML320 CDI, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD (turbo-diesel)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Seeking some real-world PDA / Bluetooth compatibility advice

I was hoping to wait until my car arrives to replace my aging PDA cell phone, but my PDA died this week. I've read various posts about Bluetooth pairing problems, then other posts about pairing but not allowing certain features (mostly address book downloads). Then I've read other posts saying the MBUSA website has all the answers. But others say that this list is not entirely accurate and may not be current. So, I'm seeking some real-world advice from PDA users.

I need a PDA - no way to get around that. From the MBUSA website, it appears that no PDA is 100% compatible with all W204 Bluetooth features. But since there are PDAs being sold that are not on that list, have any of you found any PDAs that will at least allow the address-book download - and hopefully most if not all other features? And as stated before, I'm aware of the MBUSA list - but cellphone technology and models change daily. So I'm hoping that maybe one of you has found a PDA that does it all (especially address book downloads).

For the first time, I saw and used an iPhone this week. I'm in love with it, but it appears that there's no way to get the address book to download. Even the Apple Store sales people knew about this - but said that, should I get a BMW, the address book will fully download. AARRRGGGHHH.

Thank you for any real-world advice you might be able to provide. Only about 45 days and counting until the C350 arrives! And that new cartoon of Brian the 'dog' is to express my PDA compatibility frustration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 11:27 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2007
LOL! "God is pissed!" - Brian

I feel ur frustration, man. I love the iPhone as well but it is more fashionable than functional! So i got the iPod Touch - also amazing! As for a phone, i am between a pearl and a curve from BlackBerry. I believe that they both work with the system, but the phonebook download doesn't. However, u can use a fully compatable phone with ur sim and d/l ur numbers with that.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: 2007 BMW 750i, 2007 ML320 CDI, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD (turbo-diesel)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KmanianC View Post
LOL! "God is pissed!" - Brian

However, u can use a fully compatable phone with ur sim and d/l ur numbers with that.
I love that episode of Family Guy. Brian's look is how I imagine myself looking when I get angry - like a furry cartoon.

So if I use my Motorola RAZR to download the numbers via switching sim cards, the car's memory will retain those numbers, even when I switch the sim card back to my PDA?

If I understood you right, then I wonder if our ML's COMMAND will do the same thing? It's an older system, and SO touchy, so I doubt it, but one can dream.

Hey, thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 09:57 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2007
No worries, man. I saw a post somewhere about it being successful. Good luck!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 12:37 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 2005 C230K Sport Coupe 6-speed! And now a 2011 GLK 350 4Matic in Palladium Silver!
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
It may be successful in connecting and downloading your contacts list, but, as far as I know, everytime you start the car, it re-links itself to your phone, and if the list is not there, it might erase the list. I may be wrong, though.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 06:37 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2007
Vehicle: 2008 C300
Send a message via Yahoo to MikeInCanada
My BB Curve downloaded the numbers to the car. It also does NOT update everytime you start the car as mentioned here and by my salesman, so your numbers will still be there if you switch phones.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 07:52 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Nov 2007
Vehicle: C300 Luxury, P1, Multimedia Pkg, Sahara/Cashmere Leather
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInCanada View Post
My BB Curve downloaded the numbers to the car. It also does NOT update everytime you start the car as mentioned here and by my salesman, so your numbers will still be there if you switch phones.
+1
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 09:48 AM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: '08 C300 Sport
My BB Curve works well with the Bluetooth on my C300 Sport. To download the contact list -establish the pairing, then have the BB "transfer address book", then queue the MB to receive.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 08:32 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

I have the iPhone and it works perfectly except for the address transfer as you all have noted. Remember that you can get a PCMCIA card adapter and simply upload your contacts from Outlook using vcards, I plan on ordering the card adapter in a few weeks =)
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 09:09 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: 2008 C Class
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcymohol View Post
I have the iPhone and it works perfectly except for the address transfer as you all have noted. Remember that you can get a PCMCIA card adapter and simply upload your contacts from Outlook using vcards, I plan on ordering the card adapter in a few weeks =)
Yes, the PCMCIA card works just fine. i uploaded all of my contacts in about 5 seconds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W204 C-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in