LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: May 2016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Stalling C55 AMG

I recently purchased a 2005 C55 AMG and have been having an issue of stalling when in drive and idling. The car runs fine the rest of the time. I seem to experience the issue when going slow or when idling such as at red light or in a drive thru. I few times the car has surged forward when pulling out of a stop sign randomly. I had a mechanic shop do a general overview when I purchased it and they said the car was due for new spark plugs.... Could this be causing the issue? Any insight on this would be much appreciated. There are no lights on in the dash either. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 06:05 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Aug 2013
Vehicle: 2003 SL55; 2011 E350 BTC
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Garage
It could be the plugs. If they are not firing, it would send raw fuel into the exhaust, where the O2 sensor would say 'hey, you need less fuel', and stall the car.
Could also be a Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS) which fails way too frequently on all Benz models. Get a Bosch and replace it yourself if handy. If not, have the shop do it.

'11 E350 Bluetec P2 Sport 55K Mi.
'03 SL55 AMG Pano 95K Mi.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Thanks a lot i am looking into new plugs and planning on going with Bosch very soon. I also read that it could be my mass air flow (MAF) and that with c55's that there tends to be a carbon build up? Appreciate the input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 08:00 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Aug 2013
Vehicle: 2003 SL55; 2011 E350 BTC
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Garage
Get some aerosol spray MAF cleaner and hose it down. If it clears the problem you have found the culprit.
Keep us posted.

'11 E350 Bluetec P2 Sport 55K Mi.
'03 SL55 AMG Pano 95K Mi.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 02:26 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2006 C55
C55 Engine Stalling

Hello
I don't want to violate any forum rules so if this is not the correct way to post on my issue, I can start a new post. It just happens to be a similar issue.

My car is a 2006 C55 that has just over 60,000 miles and I regularly service it at the Mercedes dealer, there is nothing I have held back on any service recommendations.

Recently, I have had issues with the engine stalling while driving and also not starting on the first turn of the ignition switch.

Can not swear to this verbatim as to the sequence of events but the one major incident that prompted me to take it to be serviced was an engine stall while driving at highway speeds, and I pulled over with a dead engine and nothing showing on the gauges. This is where it got interesting, I swear the engine was running again by the time I got my head back looking at the gauges after I had pulled over. So in that case, it seems it started running all on its own again, a one time incident. Still can not remember all the things that happened there as I was very busy negotiating through traffic to get the car safely to the side of the highway, it was not easy!

More lately sometimes it does not start on the first turn. This problem also happened more than a few times before I had it serviced.

There are no engine codes as advised by the Mercedes dealer and my own attempts at such.

The Mercedes dealer took it in in July and after 3 days told me the engine crank sensor needed replacing, so I said OK. When I got the bill the tech notes indicated that the original sensor tested reading 1180 ohms with the spec range being 600-1300 ohms, so I have no idea why they told me it needed replacing, as it seemed within spec. At first I was not happy but I did not have any problems after that until a couple days ago, so now I am upset and frustrated.

Reading this post it seems cleaning the MAF sensor might be a solution to this.

Asking the other forum members if they have some other ideas to take a look at.

thanks
Michael

Last edited by msig; 08-18-2017 at 02:27 PM. Reason: correcting a sentence
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
c55 Stalling Resolved

Hey this is Alec from the original forum post, got locked out of that account. But anyways I was able to solve my stalling issue by first cleaning the MAF and the throttle body of all of the carbon build up which there was a ton of. By doing this it limited the stalls... kind of a temporary fix. I then dug deeper brought the car to the shop I always go to in CT. If I remember correctly I believe they were able to pin the issue down to the hoses that were attached to the throttle body. The hoses over time had become crusty/corroded just due to wear and tear. I believe they were able to replace all but one hose which came as one piece with the throttle body. Ran about $1,200 bucks to for the hoses and a lot of labor hours by the shop to replace them. But I had this done about a year ago now and have not had an issue since. Hopefully this helps! Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz AMG Forums > W203 C32 AMG, C55 AMG

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in