Mercedes-Benz Forum

Mercedes-Benz Forum (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/)
-   W203 C32 AMG, C55 AMG (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w203-c32-amg-c55-amg/)
-   -   Bad bad bad problem today... (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w203-c32-amg-c55-amg/1314823-bad-bad-bad-problem-today.html)

quaznizi4 04-16-2007 07:26 AM

Bad bad bad problem today...

BAD problem today.

C32 would not shift into gear. I pressed on the gas...and the engine just revved. "Check engine" LED is lit.

I'm thinking transmission.

I had it towed to a local service shop. I did buy the extended warranty...so I'm crossing my fingers that the problem will be covered.

quaznizi4 04-17-2007 11:21 AM

update

Definately transmission. Needs to be replaced. $4500 atleast.

Now...onto the debate with the extended warranty company .... will update you folks tommorrow.

hofkamp83 04-17-2007 09:01 PM

That sucks man hope everything goes well for you and the warranty will cover it.

SaMaS 04-18-2007 01:44 PM

did extened warrantie covered it ?

FrankW 04-22-2007 09:43 PM

just a guess, but maybe it's just the transmission control unit.

quaznizi4 04-23-2007 11:54 AM

So far..

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankW
just a guess, but maybe it's just the transmission control unit.

Well...the saga continues. The company that supplies the extended warranty wants the car taken to a shop that specializes in transmissions. My preferred shop... Lee's Foreign in Chicago ... is a full service shop. And I'm CERTAINLY not taking my Mercedes to an AAMCO.

I got a recommendation from a friend who is a mechanic .... and this shop towed the vehicle for free to their location. They will be pulling the codes and I will have a final word in the morning.

Thanks for the well wishes...I will let you folks know what happens. I HATE being in limbo on this thing....but I'd hate being out $5,000 even more.

Quaz

flush 04-24-2007 10:59 AM

this just happened to me @ 52k miles, 2003 C32 with starmark.

covered under warranty - cause? throttle actuator - replaced. not a cheap part, extensive labor.

quaznizi4 05-04-2007 03:12 PM

Transmission...

Clear signs of water getting inside .... corrosion, significant damage.

As I couldn't believe what I was hearing, I sent a mechanic friend to confirm what I was told via phone....and he did. I have also heard that there have been problems with coolant getting into the transmission from a faulty radiator on C class mercedes'.

Be that as it may .... $5,700 for the transmission and new radiator. Geez.

Warranty company denied the claim saying that I must have done something to " get water into the trans " ( ie I must have driven the vehicle through 5 feet of water or travelled back in time and drove it through hurricane Katrina ) . Bear in mind that I purchased the car ( a 2003 ) in December. And no, I don't live in Louisiana.

I may have to pursue legal action.

WARN EVERYONE YOU CAN NOT TO USE GREAT LAKES WARRANTY Corp. I have been doing some investigation, and other people have had problems with them as well.

tomekay 05-05-2007 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quaznizi4
Clear signs of water getting inside .... corrosion, significant damage.

As I couldn't believe what I was hearing, I sent a mechanic friend to confirm what I was told via phone....and he did. I have also heard that there have been problems with coolant getting into the transmission from a faulty radiator on C class mercedes'.

Be that as it may .... $5,700 for the transmission and new radiator. Geez.

Warranty company denied the claim saying that I must have done something to " get water into the trans " ( ie I must have driven the vehicle through 5 feet of water or travelled back in time and drove it through hurricane Katrina ) . Bear in mind that I purchased the car ( a 2003 ) in December. And no, I don't live in Louisiana.

I may have to pursue legal action.

WARN EVERYONE YOU CAN NOT TO USE GREAT LAKES WARRANTY Corp. I have been doing some investigation, and other people have had problems with them as well.

....similar thing happened to me but with different symptoms. Apparently, the Radiator was leaking antifreeze into the gearbox. This knackered the gearbox and torque converter.

Obviously, the gearbox and torque convertoe had to be replaced along with a new radiator.

My third party Warranty covered this.

I have got rid of the C32 now as it was by far the most unreliable car I have ever owned.

You might want to think about that.

quaznizi4 05-08-2007 04:09 PM

Latest chapter in the story...

Received a call from the mechanic saying that " the warranty company called and are now saying that they will cover the charges " .

I'm still holding my finger on the legal trigger to make sure that they follow through...but this is a significant breakthrough.

We'll see what happens...