Mercedes-Benz Forum

Mercedes-Benz Forum (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/)
-   W203 C32 AMG, C55 AMG (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w203-c32-amg-c55-amg/)
-   -   c32 amg reliability (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w203-c32-amg-c55-amg/1314794-c32-amg-reliability.html)

lifeguard15 04-16-2007 02:21 AM

c32 amg reliability

New to the forum. I am looking to get a C32. C55 is just out of the price range at this point in time. I've read about problem after problem (transmission, intercooler, etc.) with the C32s, but am I less likely to run into these if i buy a late model 03 or any 04 model? Or am I just risking it by getting one no matter what the year?

rlee02135 04-17-2007 01:51 AM

gte a late model and get the extended warranty.

rest26 04-26-2007 08:31 PM

I would be real careful buying a C32. I bought an "03" in August 2006 and within 8 months of owning it I had all the problems listed below:

1. Leaking fuel hose
2. Check engine light (2 times)
3. Blown intercooler
4. Tailight
5. Weird clicking sound behind dashboard (still not resolved)
6. Collapsed hydraulic lifter
7. Oil pump check valve

Well over $3000 in repairs...and I thought Mercedes were somewhat reliable.

keninirvine 04-26-2007 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rest26
I would be real careful buying a C32. I bought an "03" in August 2006 and within 8 months of owning it I had all the problems listed below:

1. Leaking fuel hose
2. Check engine light (2 times)
3. Blown intercooler
4. Tailight
5. Weird clicking sound behind dashboard (still not resolved)
6. Collapsed hydraulic lifter
7. Oil pump check valve

Well over $3000 in repairs...and I thought Mercedes were somewhat reliable.

What made you think Mercedes were somewhat reliable? Have you ever looked at the Consumer Reports annual auto reviews (each April)? MBZ typically rank very badly in the reliability department. And sometimes the most expensive models have the most problems.

FrankW 04-27-2007 01:48 AM

after 5 years and 76k miles original miles all by me. Extended warranty up to 2009/100k miles.

1. intercooler pump (died once. typical problem. replaced under warranty)
2. crank position sensor (appearantly wasn't properly installed and rusted. replaced under warranty)
3. faulty heated seats (replaced under extended warranty. both side. new seat cover = WIN)
4. ESP/BAS error (wiring harness replaced under warranty. common problem for 01-02 C-classes)
5. clicking/flapping noise under the dash = broken vent linkage (not covered under extended warranty. don't feel like fixing it for $500 at the dealership)
6. squeaks from sway bar bushing (sways and thrust arm replaced under warranty. free alignment after I had lowered the car, SWEET! another common problem)
7. collapsed engine mount (replaced under warranty/extended warranty. common problem)
8. supercharger clutch bearing failed (replaced DIY $18 parts $20 labor to my dad's friend. Service advisor wanted me to change the pulley back before they warranty it. ended up cheaper just replacing the bearing myself)

that's about all that I can think of that ever gone wrong. none has happened twice yet, so all that stuff only costed me $38 in 5 years. reliability is not an issue for me.

tomekay 04-27-2007 04:57 AM

after careful consideration, I am trading my C32 as it is so unreliable.

Amongst other things I have recently had the tappets changed to cure a ticking/tapping noise from the engine. It was good for a week then its back. We are now at a stage that the sound has been recorded by my garage and sent to AMG for analysis.

Thats where I am at the moment and am afraid to drive it incase the engine goes.

All going well i am getting a Jaguar xjr 4.2v8 supercharge. 400 horses and 0-60 in 5secs.

Sorry mercedes but as much as I love the car...I cant be in a situation where I am afraid to drive.

Once the newer cars come down in price, then I may come back when I come to trade again.

keninirvine 04-27-2007 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomekay
after careful consideration, I am trading my C32 as it is so unreliable.

Amongst other things I have recently had the tappets changed to cure a ticking/tapping noise from the engine. It was good for a week then its back. We are now at a stage that the sound has been recorded by my garage and sent to AMG for analysis.

Thats where I am at the moment and am afraid to drive it incase the engine goes.

All going well i am getting a Jaguar xjr 4.2v8 supercharge. 400 horses and 0-60 in 5secs.

Sorry mercedes but as much as I love the car...I cant be in a situation where I am afraid to drive.

Once the newer cars come down in price, then I may come back when I come to trade again.

I sure hope Jaguar has cleaned up their reliability act. Can't believe it would be any better than a Merc.

FrankW 04-27-2007 05:02 PM

the tapping noise is from the ABS unit and the sound is actually normal. The dealer would change it for you if you complain about it tho, but eventually the noise will come back.

btw, JAG = reliability nightmare. my dad has a 96 XJ-12. The damn enigne technology is so old all the valve timing is adjusted by hand. It also has worse depreciation then MB. lol

skiendog 04-27-2007 08:21 PM

ah, but no one owns a Jag or a Mercedes because they are cheap to maintain. That is why if you are worried about maintenance issues on a mercedes, you HAVE TO get a newer model with an extended warranty.

FrankW 04-28-2007 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiendog
ah, but no one owns a Jag or a Mercedes because they are cheap to maintain. That is why if you are worried about maintenance issues on a mercedes, you HAVE TO get a newer model with an extended warranty.

you're replying to the OP, me, or Tomekay?? lol