02 c32 engine ticking noise - Mercedes-Benz Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Mar 2007
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
02 c32 engine ticking noise

Hi,

Need some advice. I recently noticed a loud tapping noise which was quite audible under light acceleration but could also be heard when stationary (but noy as loud)

The noise would work with the revs and not engine speed.

Took the car to the dealer, they had it for a month!!!! and changed the tappets. All seemed well but after a few days the noise has come back ...its not as loud but seems to be more of a ticking noise now (like ticker tape stuck in a fan)

Needless to say, I will have to call my dealer again today to get it booked in but has anybody had the same problem that wasnt tappets?

I think my dealer may need some pointers.

Many Thanks for any comments
tomekay is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 07:52 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member
 
johneurostar's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '13 911 Turbo S, '11 C63 AMG, 944 Turbo Track Car, '68 250SE CONV(2) 72 Unimog 411D, 85 190E 2.3-16
Location: Garden City, New York
Posts: 407
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry to hear that. That doesn't sound too good at all. Well, my first question is whether you had to pay for the first set of repairs or were they part of some warranty service. Did they show you the old items they replaced?
johneurostar is offline  
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Mar 2007
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johneurostar
Sorry to hear that. That doesn't sound too good at all. Well, my first question is whether you had to pay for the first set of repairs or were they part of some warranty service. Did they show you the old items they replaced?
Thanks for the reply.

Luckily I had third party Warranty...but had to pay 40%Labour costs which was £300. It would have cost me £1600 without it (touch!)

Anways, I am going back saturday morning for a road test so we can both have a listen before diagnostics.

They tried the Purge valve and it wasnt that.

I am not sure where we go with this really!?
tomekay is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 05:47 PM
BenzWorld Newbie
 
Date registered: Jan 2007
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fuel pump located under the rear seat. Noise is coming from the transfer of fuel from one side of tank to the other. This is what the dealership diagnosed mine.
Fuel pump replaced, purge valve replaced, noise still there. Apparently this is normal operation common on C32, C320 up to MY 2004.
tsedeng is offline  
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 07:56 AM
BenzWorld Veteran
 
WaveyKat's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2004
Vehicle: 2K1 C320 SS
Location: NYC
Posts: 772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to WaveyKat
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomekay
Hi,

Need some advice. I recently noticed a loud tapping noise which was quite audible under light acceleration but could also be heard when stationary (but noy as loud)

The noise would work with the revs and not engine speed.

Took the car to the dealer, they had it for a month!!!! and changed the tappets. All seemed well but after a few days the noise has come back ...its not as loud but seems to be more of a ticking noise now (like ticker tape stuck in a fan)

Needless to say, I will have to call my dealer again today to get it booked in but has anybody had the same problem that wasnt tappets?

I think my dealer may need some pointers.

Many Thanks for any comments
does the noise comes from the driver side in the engine bay if so .. its the Purge Valve they need to replace it with the newer version ...it has like more rubber cushion so to make the tapping noise less or some crap like that.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
WaveyKat is offline  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 07:46 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member
 
johneurostar's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '13 911 Turbo S, '11 C63 AMG, 944 Turbo Track Car, '68 250SE CONV(2) 72 Unimog 411D, 85 190E 2.3-16
Location: Garden City, New York
Posts: 407
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I also have a ticking noise on the driver's side engine compartment. It seems to be coming from some sort of valve with some plastic lines going to it. Funny, b/c I thought it was a lifter or cam at first, because it sounded real loud the first time I heard it parked against a wall at my local drive-up ATM. There is also a plug going to it.
It sounds like a dampened rubber metalic clicking.
johneurostar is offline  
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Mar 2007
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johneurostar
I also have a ticking noise on the driver's side engine compartment. It seems to be coming from some sort of valve with some plastic lines going to it. Funny, b/c I thought it was a lifter or cam at first, because it sounded real loud the first time I heard it parked against a wall at my local drive-up ATM. There is also a plug going to it.
It sounds like a dampened rubber metalic clicking.

...does it get faster as you rev the engine?

Thats what mine does
tomekay is offline  
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 09:28 PM
BenzWorld Newbie
 
Date registered: Mar 2007
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just bouhgt 2002 c32 and already have some problems unfortunately i dont have mb warranty.Anyway I have the same problem especially when u speed up it gets louder. I took the car germantech service they told me its a kompressor u dont have to woryy about it but its annoyinnnnn
gs4life1905 is offline  
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Mar 2007
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs4life1905
I just bouhgt 2002 c32 and already have some problems unfortunately i dont have mb warranty.Anyway I have the same problem especially when u speed up it gets louder. I took the car germantech service they told me its a kompressor u dont have to woryy about it but its annoyinnnnn

Interesting.....my place disconected the charger and it still made the noise so its not that.

What I will say, they did change the tappets and the noise is less audible but it is still there. There must be something around that area thats the culprit!!!!
tomekay is offline  
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 09:31 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Dec 2006
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveyKat
does the noise comes from the driver side in the engine bay if so .. its the Purge Valve they need to replace it with the newer version ...it has like more rubber cushion so to make the tapping noise less or some crap like that.
.0 /
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C32 007.jpg
Views:	668
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	121672   Click image for larger version

Name:	C32_009.jpg
Views:	944
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	121673   Click image for larger version

Name:	tintas.jpg
Views:	1545
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	121674  

Last edited by blumber; 03-22-2007 at 09:39 PM.
blumber is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz AMG Forums > W203 C32 AMG, C55 AMG

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
1997 E420 Ticking noise from engine TyBenzo W210 E-Class 21 09-30-2010 01:24 PM
1997 E420 Ticking noise from engine lukesmith55 W210 E-Class 4 09-30-2006 03:44 PM
New SLK 350-engine ticking noise stebro R171 SLK-Class 2 03-24-2006 02:49 AM
engine ticking noise benznawz W124 E,CE,D,TD Class 29 12-06-2005 08:07 AM
C43 Engine Ticking Noise Guest (MBNZ) W202 C36 AMG, C43 AMG 9 02-17-2003 02:54 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 

Title goes here

close
video goes here
description goes here. Read Full Story
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome