W203 C180k 2005 AC unit service? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2017
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up W203 C180k 2005 AC unit service?

Hi everyone,

I drove my car alot this summer lately and noticed that while there seems to be nothing wrong with the AC it cools fine etc sometimes I can smell what I believe is AC coolant in the cabin (usually for a short while early after the AC is engaged). It also appears to switch off completely if I lower the fan speed to minimum (0.5 on the dial) and there can be quite the delay before it comes back on even if I crank up the fan speed to maximum.

The car has now reached its 14 birthday and done just over 150,000 km (living in Switzerland). Is there any such thing as servicing the AC system in this car? I would hate to just leave it and find that preventative maintenance could help avoid AC failure down the line. In terms of its history I picked up the car 2.5 years back from the first owner that barely put 100,000 km on it in 11 years! He was after all an old man of 77 years!

Otherwise the car has been so very reliable, whether chugging along at 100-120mph for hours on end on the autobahn or around town Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 05:49 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 1999 E430; 2005 ML500
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Absolutely AC servicing is a thing. In German-speaking Switzerland it is Klima-Service, but I would try to drive it into Germany because I hate Swiss prices. You may have a refrigerant leak, but it usually doesn’t have much of a smell, and it would be unrelated to your fan problem.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2017
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Ok I will check it out. Thanks. Live in Lausanne but will be up near the German border later this week. Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 01:00 PM

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350 FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1718 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
If you have a refrigerant leak, then it won't be long before you have no AC. If this has been going on for a while, and our AC still cools, then I suspect the odor is not refrigerant. Maybe exhaust? Coolant? Oil?

--

- RODNEY

So you want to send me a private message? Please read this first:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Stable:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W203 C-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in