BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2013
Vehicle: C240 2002 W203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Beer never tasted so good...

It was fuel pump.

The Bosch replacement arrived, one look at it I kinda sensed it would solve the problem. It fitted easily without force, hoses clicked all the way in, unlike aftermarket brand. Car started easily at first crank for the first time in two weeks. Pump pressure test passed. Test drive... car had never accelerated so smoothly in a long time. I guess the other things I did while searching for a solution helped to improve performance - new fuel filter, air filter and MAF sensor cleaning.

Although it showed similar symptoms to CPS, in the end it was a defective fuel pump, and it got confusing when I initially installed aftermarket brand. Lesson learned, never install aftermarket parts for critical systems.

Thanks for all your help, folks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190720_145649.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	2529514   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190720_151321.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	2.51 MB
ID:	2529516  
Benzyle likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 08:44 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2019
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Great!
Mine still in the shop, hope to hear from him today...
I hope the problem is as easy to solve, btw how much did the bosch fp costed you?
Enjoy that beer , you well deserved it!!!
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 09:52 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2017
Vehicle: 2005 C230K
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin1935 View Post
It was fuel pump.
Lesson learned, never install aftermarket parts for critical systems.
I'm glad that you got it fixed!

Over a dozen years ago, I learned that many aftermarket parts are junk. I went through a number of new CPS for my '92 GM/Olds. I finally went directly to a local dealer, paid $$$, and put it in. After ~100K miles, and well over a dozen years, it still works today!

Imho, the OEM stuff lasted this long. So, why chance buying non-OEM?
Also, there are a lot of counterfeit automotive parts on the market. I mean A LOT! It's a massive business.

That's also why I now often buy many parts only directly from a Dealer.

Imho, if someone want to fix their car so that it will last, do a lot of maintenance, and buy many of the important parts directly from a Dealer. Imho, most of the aftermarket cr***p is a false savings for anyone planing on keeping the car.

Wheel Bearings and Crank Position Sensors are two of the most profitable counterfeit markets.

As an fyi, GM/Delco outsourced a lot of their parts for cars older than 10 years old. Many of the "new" GM/Delco replacement parts are junk. Many have basic fitment problems. Arg!
Now, people may better understand why some parts that are NOS (New Old Stock) can go for so much on ebay.
Merlin1935 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 10:04 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

One other thing:
When i search for fuel pump, i get two different ones, one fits under the back seat, the other (high pressure) on the front of the engine...my car is cdi diesel engine...wich one did the trick for you?
Thank you!
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 10:28 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Hi!
I just came from autoshop and wasn't expecting to know one of the injectors isn't working, given the sympthoms, and after all i read here and there , not a single person mentioned the injectors as a cause for cranking and not starting...
Maybe because most of the engines over in the US are gasoline powered, mine is DIESEL, and the best forums i found were american.
Anyway, i know close to nothing when it comes to mechanic, but is there anyone else finding this odd, i always thought that a failing injector wouldn't stop the engine from running with the other 3, though it wouldn't be nice to hear it roar like that.
For the part and the job and for towing the car for 10 Km, he asked me for 520€, about 700 US$.
Saw it online for 200€, towing service we agreed on 80€, wich leaves the rest 240€ for diagnostic and repair labour... It's nowhere near cheap, but would cost 3 times more perhaps at dealership...
He promised to have it ready by tomorrow afternoon, so i just wait and see if it's gonna fix it...
I'll post the outcome, who knows might help someone in the future...
Thank y'all!...
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportcoupe2002 View Post
Great!
Mine still in the shop, hope to hear from him today...
I hope the problem is as easy to solve, btw how much did the bosch fp costed you?
Enjoy that beer , you well deserved it!!!
FCP Euro sells genuine Bosch pumps with lifetime warranty. Mine costs $156.93, but your model could be different.

Mine fits directly inside fuel tank, which is under rear seat. I get to fuel tank by removing rear seat. Pretty easy to get to, just need to be extra careful not to have any naked flame nearby, since you're dealing with open gas tank.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mer...280-0986580184

I hope you get it resolved quick.
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
One other thing:
When i search for fuel pump, i get two different ones, one fits under the back seat, the other (high pressure) on the front of the engine...my car is cdi diesel engine...wich one did the trick for you?
Thank you!
Does your car have two fuel pumps? FCP Euro website should be able to confirm your exact fitment, and YouTube videos can tell you exact location of your pump.
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Hi!
I just came from autoshop and wasn't expecting to know one of the injectors isn't working, given the sympthoms, and after all i read here and there , not a single person mentioned the injectors as a cause for cranking and not starting...
Maybe because most of the engines over in the US are gasoline powered, mine is DIESEL, and the best forums i found were american.
Anyway, i know close to nothing when it comes to mechanic, but is there anyone else finding this odd, i always thought that a failing injector wouldn't stop the engine from running with the other 3, though it wouldn't be nice to hear it roar like that.
For the part and the job and for towing the car for 10 Km, he asked me for 520€, about 700 US$.
Saw it online for 200€, towing service we agreed on 80€, wich leaves the rest 240€ for diagnostic and repair labour... It's nowhere near cheap, but would cost 3 times more perhaps at dealership...
He promised to have it ready by tomorrow afternoon, so i just wait and see if it's gonna fix it...
I'll post the outcome, who knows might help someone in the future...
Thank y'all!...
I would ask the mechanic for warranty on parts and labor, at least 90 days, and verify he's installing genuine parts.
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGray View Post
I'm glad that you got it fixed!

Over a dozen years ago, I learned that many aftermarket parts are junk. I went through a number of new CPS for my '92 GM/Olds. I finally went directly to a local dealer, paid $$$, and put it in. After ~100K miles, and well over a dozen years, it still works today!

Imho, the OEM stuff lasted this long. So, why chance buying non-OEM?
Also, there are a lot of counterfeit automotive parts on the market. I mean A LOT! It's a massive business.

That's also why I now often buy many parts only directly from a Dealer.

Imho, if someone want to fix their car so that it will last, do a lot of maintenance, and buy many of the important parts directly from a Dealer. Imho, most of the aftermarket cr***p is a false savings for anyone planing on keeping the car.

Wheel Bearings and Crank Position Sensors are two of the most profitable counterfeit markets.

As an fyi, GM/Delco outsourced a lot of their parts for cars older than 10 years old. Many of the "new" GM/Delco replacement parts are junk. Many have basic fitment problems. Arg!
Now, people may better understand why some parts that are NOS (New Old Stock) can go for so much on ebay.
True true...
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 08:53 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2017
Vehicle: 2005 C230K
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin1935 View Post
True… true...
So that I don't clutter the forums with long posts, see:
https://www.cbsparts.ca/newsdetail/avoid-counterfeit/

Since articles and links have a tendency to get deleted over time, I also copied the text of the article into the following post:
https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w20...l#post17658738
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W203 C-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in