06 C280 P0016 P0017 - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 05:57 PM

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350 FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1693 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
I am sorry this has happened to you. It's going to be an expensive lesson to learn, but never trust what a car salesperson says. It's not that they are untrustworthy, its just that they often don't know what they are talking about. P0016 and P0017 on a MY2006 C230 is going to be balance shaft failure:

http://benzbits.com/BalanceShaftTSB.pdf

There are a few other things that could cause this, but none of them are any better to have or easier to fix.

Although very few states have laws that allow a car to be returned, all states have licensing for used car dealers. And used cars dealers, actually all car dealers, have to be very careful what they tell customers. If they truly told you the MIL being illuminated was of no concern, then they have likely broken rules imposed by either their licensing authority, or at least their Auto Dealers Association. I would contact both of these and file complaints. Also, post reviews on places like Google and Yelp. You might get some traction.

--

- RODNEY

So you want to send me a private message? Please read this first:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Stable:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeney View Post
I am sorry this has happened to you. It's going to be an expensive lesson to learn, but never trust what a car salesperson says. It's not that they are untrustworthy, its just that they often don't know what they are talking about. P0016 and P0017 on a MY2006 C230 is going to be balance shaft failure:

http://benzbits.com/BalanceShaftTSB.pdf

There are a few other things that could cause this, but none of them are any better to have or easier to fix.

Although very few states have laws that allow a car to be returned, all states have licensing for used car dealers. And used cars dealers, actually all car dealers, have to be very careful what they tell customers. If they truly told you the MIL being illuminated was of no concern, then they have likely broken rules imposed by either their licensing authority, or at least their Auto Dealers Association. I would contact both of these and file complaints. Also, post reviews on places like Google and Yelp. You might get some traction.
I really appreciate your help.. It sucks, he ensured me he was doing his best for me as my mother and her husband have purchased a loaded bmw m4, 440i, and z4 m40i from him. Would you reccomend replacing the oil pump, centrifuge, all of the parts that could have been contaminated? Or just put a new balance shaft with pulse wheels & magnets? I'd like to get as long of a life out of this as possible.. i recently crashed my truck and lost my job, so im just trying to get back on my feet here, reliable transportation is a MUST.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 06:44 AM

Vehicle: CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350 FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
The official repair includes replacing the oil pump. This is suggested in case it has collected any small bits of metal broken off of the sprocket teeth. This is really not a bad job, except that pulling the engine is a lot of wrenching. There is one step that is critical and can be somewhat challenging:

When you re-mate the engine and transmission, the torque converter MUST be fully seated into the fluid pump. If it is, then everything - the bell housing halves and the torque converter to the flex plate/flywheel - will align perfectly flush. If there is any gap at all, then the torque converter is not fully seated (it probably slid out a a bit) and you CANNOT "snug up" the bell housing. If you do, you stand to crack the flex plate and damage the transmission fluid pump.

--

- RODNEY

My Stable:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeney View Post
The official repair includes replacing the oil pump. This is suggested in case it has collected any small bits of metal broken off of the sprocket teeth. This is really not a bad job, except that pulling the engine is a lot of wrenching. There is one step that is critical and can be somewhat challenging:

When you re-mate the engine and transmission, the torque converter MUST be fully seated into the fluid pump. If it is, then everything - the bell housing halves and the torque converter to the flex plate/flywheel - will align perfectly flush. If there is any gap at all, then the torque converter is not fully seated (it probably slid out a a bit) and you CANNOT "snug up" the bell housing. If you do, you stand to crack the flex plate and damage the transmission fluid pump.
Thank you, Rudeney. As for the Chain & rails, and oil separator? Should those be replaced as well? Ill begin pricing parts and see what my options are here
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 07:48 PM

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
There's no reason to replace the oil separator (i.e. centrifuge) unless you just want to. The cover on it does tend to leak, but I've heard of any issues with the centrifuge itself. As for the chain, yes, it is recommended to replace it.

--

- RODNEY

My Stable:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W203 C-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in