post #31 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 03:47 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2018
Vehicle: 2003 C320 coupe, 2000 ML320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seas[email protected] View Post
During my lesson ( I might just be AC registered now) yesterday. The LOW was at 60 psi and the HIGH was at 126 with engine at idle. I don't recall what it was at revving.
I have decided to do the compressor also.
Yep, that SUCKS... a difference between high and low of 66psi.. is way too low... You need something closer to 100 psi before it begins to work right (exp: 40psi low 140 high.).. ALSO.. if you are going to replace the compressor, you need to replace the condenser too...plus 2.0z of PAG 50 oil...

My take on "what's wrong".. your low side is too high... Expansion valve isn't restricting the flow enough..
Just looking at that low of 60psi is got me convinced that it's the expansion valve..
If you were getting readings something like 15psi low, 90psi high.. then I would be leaning towards the compressor

PS.. if you've got the bucks, ya, replace the compressor...you can't miss when you replace everything...

PSS.. Replacing the compressor is a pisser of a job.. There is one bolt on the bottom back side , you can't get a wrench or socket on.. I ended up cutting down a 3"socket extension to something like 2 15/32" to get it to fit between the frame and compressor...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2018
Vehicle: 2002 C-240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Here is the final chapter...We decided to order a complete kit with seals and oil (lifetime warranty for ownership of vehicle). David ordered it from 1-800 Radiator and A/C. It was $436 with tax. The agreement was if I could give him time 2-3 days he could work on it between scheduled jobs and charge me less for this huge undertaking. On Saturday early afternoon we sealed the deal. I arranged rides to work for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Don't worry guys - I had already stocked the refrigerator on Friday night so the family was all set. Apparently, once I was out of his hair David jumped in (I saw him starting to remove the wiper system as I was walking away) because he called me on Monday morning to tell me the car was done. He wanted to keep her overnight to check the pressure and if all looked good I could pick her up Tuesday morning. Tuesday after work about 3 pm I walked over and he handed me my keys as I handed him a check for $460 labor. Dealership estimate was $3332.00 for Ex Valve and Compressor. I can not thank you all enough for sharing your wisdom and knowledge with me. I am forever grateful for your encouragement that I seek out affordable help and not just put an "as is" for sale sign on my C240. This is a wonderful community and I am blessed to have found you all!!
THANK YOU!!
PS. The air is so cold I have to keep it at 72 F interior temp when it is 101 F outside in Phoenix area.
rudeney likes this.
post #33 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 02:42 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2018
Vehicle: 2003 C320 coupe, 2000 ML320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Excellent... Besides just having your AC back.. Looks like you've got yourself a new mechanic..
Hirnbeiss likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W203 C-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in