BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2009
Vehicle: 87 300D 5 speed
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportcoupe2002 View Post
I'm having issues with my spcoupe 2002.
Bought it a few months ago , and notice the car went in limp mode from time to time, had to pull over, kill the ignition, wait few seconds, restart engine, all fine...
Had the car diagnosed, don't know error codes, but he told me i have to replace electronic plate on transmission, and also told the problem would agravate, wich it did.
I'm working in France and had no time to adress the problem back then, so kept driving hoping it would hold till august , when i'd return and fix it.
Well at the moment i'm stuck in limp, already ordered parts, filter, joint, plate, atf, etc...
Today i read about atf climbing through the wires, took a look at the TCM, and though there ARE signs of oil in the wires and conector (left), i removed TCM , opened it gently, and inside is clean and dry, which leads me to believe either the leak is not very big and o-rings on the plate conector aren't that bad, or maybe the problem was adressed in the past...
The clip in the cap where you put in the oil is also broken...
Is there a cheap diagnostic tool, that is able to erase error codes after intervention?
The transm is a 722.699, the car shows 280k.
Thank you all in advance!
Icarsoft i980 or foxwell nt520.

Get a 722.6 dip stick. The intermittent limp home mode some times happens when ATF level is low.

Since you already have the TCM disassbled, reflow the row of large solder joints where the Plug pins go into the PCB. Those develow micro cracks over time which fill with ATF.

Use Valvoline Maxlife ATF. It's the only ATF to use with this transmission. The list is wrong.

Triggering religious fanatics since 1969

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tjts1; 06-08-2019 at 05:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 06:10 PM

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350 FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1688 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
Use Valvoline Maxlife ATF. It's the only ATF to use with this transmission. The list is wrong.
I am not sure why you keep stating that. Is is because the 722.6 originally use 236.12 spec fluid? The 236.14 spec supersedes that. I'v used it in many, many 722.6. transmissions with many thousands (hundreds of thousands collectively) miles.

Maxlife is not on the 234.14 or 236.13 list. While it might be just fine, I tend to stick to what;s on t the approved list.

--

- RODNEY

So you want to send me a private message? Please read this first:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Stable:

post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 11:27 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I ordered titan atf 4134 , which is recommended by MB and follows 236.14 norm , and as far as i read online is good atf for this transmission. Also waiting for dipstick, so i can check fluid level, i believe it can be low...
For the limp mode being intermittent, it was so in the past, but now it is permanently locked in limp, i was told by someone that to get it out of limp, the only way is to erase error codes after replacing the solenoid plate and fluid, so i have to wait for it to arrive, i ordered it from ebay , must be here this week...
I'm going to clean the best i can the wiring harness and plug (anyone know if thats something you can find online?)...
Many thanks to you all!...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 11:55 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Will icarsoft I810 do the trick?
It seems to be much cheaper....
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 08:46 AM

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350 FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1688 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Not sure about i810. I uses SDS, so I don't have any experience with iCarsoft, but based on other forum member's experiences, the i980 will reset codes in all the car's system. The more expensive MBII will as well, but other than a bigger screen, it has no additional features you'd need to pay extra for on a W203.

--

- RODNEY

So you want to send me a private message? Please read this first:

My Stable:

post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 08:54 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportcoupe2002 View Post
Will icarsoft I810 do the trick?
It seems to be much cheaper....
No. i810 only does generic OBD2. You need something that. Can talk to the Mercedes transmission computer. That means either i980 or MB2.

Use Maxlife ATF. It is the correct ATF for this transmission. Read the label on the back for more info.

Last edited by tjts1; 06-09-2019 at 08:56 AM.
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 09:24 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Thank you rudeney & tjts1 !...
I'll update ongoing changes and doubts...
))
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 04:57 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Hi folks!
I just ordered icarsoft I980, a digital laser thermometer, and still waiting for conductor plate kit and dipstick...
It might sound noob, but thats exactly what it is 😛 but can anyone guide me through the menus to erase transmission codes?
What is the best video tutoring full diy procedure (i have watched a LOT...) and still i am not sure which process is easier and better for a full drain of the old atf (i watched it done by compressed air and also by aspiration through the filter opening).
What is your opinion based on your own experience?
I'm praying that all will be fine with the solenoids , once the obd2 arrives, i'll try to pull out codes, i hope the device needs no update out of the box, for i have no pc with me...
Once again thank you for your advices! 😊
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 05:27 AM
BenzWorld Elite

First thing I would do is check and clear codes. Plenty of YouTube videos on how to use the icarsoft. Take it for a drive see how it behaves, recheck for codes. Once at operating temp check ATF level with engine running.

post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 09:36 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Is it true that you can only erase dtc from transmission by plugging into 38 pin plug under the hood?
Does that mean i have to buy an adaptor for the icarsoft I980?
Thanka!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W203 C-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in